Ballinclea Stream

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Ballinclea Stream

Postby Micheál » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:47 pm

A better view of the Monkstown Stream outlet -

(Next outing - bring your wellies, hard hat and torches)

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:58 pm

"Once you get into this great stream of history, you can't get out"
Richard M. Nixon

"After crossing the Smoky Hill River, I felt comparatively safe as this was the last stream I had to cross"
Buffalo Bill

"The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it"
Glenageary Guru
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Micháel your a stream -oops sorry a scream. :lol:
is there not an easier way -could the water dept in the corpo let you have a look see at some maps (or would that take the fun out of it)
I remember a couple of years ago farmboy and jordo had a plan to trace the underground run of -the Glasthule stream
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:50 am

Grammer

Nah - looking it up would be too easy. Its much more fun exploring and debating the evidence. Bit like Time Team.

I was minded to strap my iPhone (with Location Tracking enabled) to a rubber duck and set it afloat in Stradbrook. But then I realised, I dont have a rubber duck - or an iPhone.

Though theres a thought. Why dont we all get rubber ducks and . . .
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:05 pm

Here's my version of the Monkstown "meeting of the waters"

AFAIK the slotted manholes do not carry sewage. The sewage systems should be entirely separate. I checked yesterday, and there is a foul smell in the Monkstown Valley stream before it goes underground, so it is not surprising that there would be a smell at each and every slotted manhole - but on my personal nasal smellometer, the smells from the slotted manholes were minor compared with sewage.

The dotted orange line shows what I believe to be the current routes of both streams. I think that where possible, the council would put culverts under roads rather than on private property - that is why I believe that the logical route for the Monkstown Valley Stream culvert is along Pakenham Road, rather than behind the Friends Meeting House on private land. Pakenham Road is one of the most frequently excavated roads I know.

I must also examine Grosvenor Terrace for any indicators of underground culverts.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Gulliver,

This is a great visualisation of the situation. As they say "a picture paints a thousand words".
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 am

Great work Gulliver.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm no engineer, but if I was, I don't think I would have chosen Micheál's route for the river culvert along Grosvenor Terrace, through Salthill and down to the sea through the pipe shown. I would have continued down along Pakenham Road. Here's why:-

1 The original route of the combined rivers appears from old maps to continue along Pakenham Road, and to enter the old harbour close to the former location of the Top Hat.

2 Grosvenor Terrace slopes upwards from Pakenham Road. To maintain a flow on the culvert would have to go very deep at the top of Grosvenor Terrace.

3 Then there's the question of getting through Salthill. It's not called Salthill for nothing. It's a hill. It would seem strange to bring a culvert through a hill, when there is a quite acceptable route without any hill

I'm not fully convinced by Micheál's route.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Gulliver wrote:Grosvenor Terrace slopes upwards from Pakenham Road. To maintain a flow on the culvert would have to go very deep at the top of Grosvenor Terrace.

Agreed but no mater which underground route you choose, you'd be forced to 'go deep' to ensure you remain underground in that hollow ground beyond The Crescent i.e. under Tully's Row/Old Dun Leary Road. And all routes suffer the same 3 constraints - once you go down there's no going back up; you need to get under the rail line; and you have to end up at sea level

Gulliver wrote:It's not called Salthill for nothing. It's a hill. It would seem strange to bring a culvert through a hill, when there is a quite acceptable route without any hill

Dont ruin a good debate with logic Gulliver :D
I agree nobody would plan to build a culvert under a hill. But there are two worrying aspects to this thinking.
a) The outlet is where it is there for all to see (& hear). If it not one or both streams, them what is this substantial freshwater outflow?
b) There isn't (much of) a hill there anyway. What little high ground there is lies between the outlet and the "Gut" (& the area inland of Old Dun Leary Rd) so the stream could as easily be diverted left of the 'hill' to the present outlet, as right to the harbour/Gut.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:09 pm

I love that one...don't ruin a good debate with logic :D Grammer...thats why yis need wimmin on this site....no logic in my thinking!!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:41 pm

dontknow dontknow
Rocker wrote:I love that one...don't ruin a good debate with logic :D Grammer...thats why yis need wimmin on this site....no logic in my thinking!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:wimmen
I know I mentioned this before but-
I worked in the old Albright & Wilson factory in D/L -before A&W bought it -it had been a gasworks -
now the yard would flood and sewerage and everything would come back up through the manholes -when there was the occasional really high tide
I remember everything was blamed on "The Gut"
is there any link to the streams ?????
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:32 am

This in an ex-stream-ly interesting topic. :D
I'm doing a bit of a Gulliver here...

It used to flow overground where the small red line points to. There was a fence with barbed wire and a trench where the Stream flowed and the yellow area was like a small lake when it overflowed and about two or three feet deep.
I rarely if ever even remember the "lake" not being there. Maybe Denis remembers that?

Closeup of the Trench where it flowed.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:32 am

Just harking back to that problem with the culvert in the Swan's Hollow last winter. Recall the stream burst out of its confines causing a sizeable flood. Just as well DLRCoCo intervened or we could have ended up with this. Hardly the sort of environment you'd toss a duck into - even a rubber one.

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:55 am

Dum, dum, dum just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!! :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:03 am

We're going to need a bigger boat!
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm

Yeah Strum I remember that part of the Golf course,just to the left of the second tee,was always swampy but can't recall it as a lake.In golfing parlance it was a no go area with little chance of ever finding your golf ball.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Micheál wrote:What with all the distressing news reports of flooding, I got thinking about how the location of floods unsurprisingly co-inciding with old streams long forgotten by most - esp housing developers. Heres one to start with which I THINK is still officially called the Ballinclea Stream - but if anyone knows better feel free . . . .
Almost all of it is now covered in by culverts.
I'm sure forum members will have many memories of playing in and around it.

Ballinclea Heights (source)
Ballinclea Road
Avondale Road (Crossing )
Flower Grove
Beechwood
Pearse Park (alongside Joey's grounds)
Pearse Gardens
Sallynoggin Road (Crossing, alongside Power City)
Golf Course (is it still open there?)
Rere Ardmore Park
Carriglea
Olliver Plunkett Rd (nr junct St Patricks Terrace)
Rere Fitzgerald Park
Mountwood
Rere Glandore Park
Castle Park (Bungalows part, used to be "the swamp" in my youth)
Window Gambles Hill (Crossing at CBC Monkstown where old pavillion once stood,)
CBC playing pitches
Packenham Road (where it joined another stream from Monkstown - more later)
Top Hat
Rere West Pier (I think)

Michael do you have a map of the Stream's course, just wondering if there is a runoff from it that goes through Glenageary Heights?
Some photos are gone from the topic. Thanks.
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY