Ballybrack

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: Ballybrack

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:17 am

Sinead, As far as I know the Department of the Marine have a say about foreshore licences for any works on the Beach. The Council pays the contractor who does all that daily work clearing the stones and debris from the river mouth. I don't know who claims ownership of the beaches around the country but, we used to be told that the land owner adjoining the sea owned up to the high water mark but, I think that altered over the years. There is some law which prohibits the taking of the stones from the beach but, I don't know chapter and verse....though over the years there is many a one came home with me and as for shells we used to collect thousands in our childhood. Wasn't that gas that people believed Lord Wicklow owned the stones on the beach. :D

Just googled Wicklow and this collection of papers held at the National Library sounds interesting http://www.nli.ie/pdfs/mss%20lists/wicklow%20papers.pdf

Some Winter's week I might get to research some of this. !!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:53 pm

Rocker, you always find the most interesting bits.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Umm...

FORESHORE ACT of 1933, which states under section 6:

Order prohibiting removal of beach material from seashore.

6.—(1) In this Act the expression “prohibitory order” means an order made, or deemed to have been made under this section prohibiting the removal of beach material from an area of seashore.

(2) Whenever the Minister is of opinion that the removal or the unrestricted removal of beach material of any kind or of any particular kind or kinds from any particular area of seashore has affected or is likely to affect prejudicially any public rights in respect of such area of seashore or any lands or water in the neighbourhood thereof or has caused or is likely to cause injury to any land or to any building, wall, pier, or other structure, the Minister may prohibit by order the removal by any person of beach material either (as the case may require) of any kind or of the said particular kind or kinds from the said area of seashore.

(3) The Minister may by order at any time at his discretion, revoke or amend a prohibitory order.

(4) Whenever the Minister has made or proposes to make, amend, or revoke a prohibitory order, the Minister may, if he thinks fit, hold a public inquiry in regard to the continuation, making, amendment, or revocation (as the case may be) of such order.

(5) Every person who shall remove any beach material from any foreshore or seashore in contravention of a prohibitory order shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding ten pounds, and, in the case of a second or any subsequent offence, to a fine of ten pounds and, in every case to forfeiture of the beach material so removed.

(6) Every order made under section 14 of the Harbours Act, 1814, and in force at the passing of this Act shall continue in force notwithstanding the repeal of that section by this Act, and every such order shall for all purposes be deemed to have been made under this section on the date on which it was actually made although such date is prior to the passing of this Act.

(7) A prohibitory order shall not operate to prevent the granting under this Act of a licence to remove beach material from foreshore to which such order applies or to prevent the removal of beach material from such foreshore under and in accordance with a licence granted (whether before or after the making of such order) under this Act.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1933/...rint.html#sec6
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:09 pm

This makes sense. " because it may contribute to erosion of the shoreline or increase the risk of flooding."

A woman has been given a warning by police for taking pebbles from a beach.

The 39-year-old was investigated after reports that shingle was taken from the beach near The Dip, Felixstowe, to decorate her garden.

Suffolk Coastal District Council was informed a "relatively significant" quantity of pebbles, believed to be about six sack loads, was taken.

Police said there had been two occasions when three adults and a child went to the beach and loaded their car with pebbles.

Officers tracked the woman down using the car's registration number and gave her advice that taking shingle from the beach was illegal.

Paul Patterson, senior coastal engineer for Suffolk Coastal and Waveney District Council's coastal management team, said: "The removal of pebbles, shingle or sand from Suffolk's beaches is unacceptable because it may contribute to erosion of the shoreline or increase the risk of flooding."
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:12 pm

So all in all I think yes it is illegal unless you gain permission from the EPA, which apparently the CoCo's also need permission from the EPA.
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:53 pm

We were told when we were kids that Lord Meath above in Killruddery owned the rights off the beach at Bray Head out to sea for some distance, forget how far, but any Salmon caught in that area had to be given to him. We believed it of course, then I dismissed it in later years, but now yiz have me thinking again, could it be true after all dontknow dontknow
keeper

Postby Strum » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:05 pm

keeper wrote:We were told when we were kids that Lord Meath above in Killruddery owned the rights off the beach at Bray Head out to sea for some distance, forget how far, but any Salmon caught in that area had to be given to him. We believed it of course, then I dismissed it in later years, but now yiz have me thinking again, could it be true after all dontknow dontknow

Ha Keeper, now you remind me of an ongoing feud with our neighbour growing up.
Who owns the fruit on the Apple tree in his garden hanging into ours? Can't remember now without searching but even if the fruit falls off the tree into your garden it still belonged to him because it's his Tree. I think it was ruled that he had to not let his branches grow over the wall.
It didn't stop us robbing the Apples though. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19 pm

In our youth Strum all apple trees were fair game no matter who owned them :lol: :lol: and there was an abundance of them around Killiney and Ballybrack ;)
keeper

Postby Strum » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:12 pm

keeper wrote: there was an abundance of them around Killiney and Ballybrack ;)

There's still plenty around. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 pm

Drove through ballybrack village last evening the place looks very well with the Christmas lights fair play to all involved.
Holla

Postby Sinead » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:21 pm

Holla:

For years there were a few individuals tying to get decorations for the village without success. The Credit Union with the
help of DLCoCo got them put up and then the traders all rowed in with donations. The Corpo do a great job. I could not
understand their concept for the Oblisk but it looks fantastic.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:35 pm

Well done the Credit Union. I was down there recently to open an account and it was a very pleasant experience. A busy place with great chat in the queue.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:02 pm

Sinead wrote:I could not understand their concept for the Oblisk but it looks fantastic.

Sinéad

Is there no inscription or plaque at the base?
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:11 pm

Strum wrote:
Sinead wrote:I could not understand their concept for the Oblisk but it looks fantastic.

Sinéad

Is there no inscription or plaque at the base?

There is Strum but, I think Sinead is referring to the alterations to it for Christmas. The Council put an open mesh metal cage like a pyramid over the oblisk and attached little stars. The whole thing is lit up. I remember posting a photo last Christmas must look it up.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Rocker wrote:don't know how to post this photo of the tree.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:13 pm

Rocker wrote: There is Strum but, I think Sinead is referring to the alterations to it for Christmas.

Aha ok, sorry, yes I've seen it Rocker thanks, great job. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Have to say yes the village looks great. wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
"My kinda town (village) that's Ballybrack. wuu wuu wuu wuu
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 pm

grammer wrote:Have to say yes the village looks great. wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
"My kinda town (village) that's Ballybrack. wuu wuu wuu wuu

Ha was just thinking that the other day. I left the chemist with it's great display of gorgeous baby gifts and then passed the funeral home.....From the cradle to the grave....all catered for wuu wuu
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:11 pm

The Village has most things you need to bring you through life and best of all is the chat when you
walk through it. Even if you don't know the people they are willing to spend a few minutes with
you ...... a grand place to live.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Went through the Village on Tuesday coming from Kiernan's funeral and thought it looked great.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:13 am

Sad events and disasters have sometimes a silver lining way down in the midst......with the sad loss of Rick Parfitt of Status Quo I hear that Ballybrack's Richie Malone might get a chance to continue with the band. Difficult times for all and a hard act to follow. May Rick R.I.P
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:49 am

I was looking at Homan's old place on the beach at killiney the other day. There is not much left. I remember it as a thriving place with chalets, tea rooms, dance hall and boats to let. I wasn't old enough to go to the dances in the hey day of the ballroom but my relations had great tales to tell. We used to investigate the underpass that led under the railway to the tearooms. The other day I went down and even the signs for that are gone and it is overgrown.

Does anyone think that with enough money and effort it could become a thriving place again??
Entrance from the road is a problem but I suppose with enough money that coould be solved with lowering the entrance from the car park and widening it.

What could be built there??
A spa with sea water baths?
A seaside retreat for weeks of relaxation?
A music venue...with U2 nearby and Enya...maybe they will fund??
A complete maritime place with boats, walkways to the sea, moorings for yachts, boats to Dalkey Island, Boats to Howth....my imagination is running riot>>>
A top class restaurant?...build it and they will come scenario..
Build a peomenade for decent walking not on stones or shifting sand then Teddies could build a place for ice cream.

Now, it is rough in Winter with the onshore winds but with the right build and proper insulation it could be a haven!
Who remembers dancing there?
Show us your pictures!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Alas, not even Starbucks would be likely to give it a go. I'm supposing there is simply no commercial "footfall" there to make it happen even if the substantial re-development costs were paid for by the "fairies" (us).
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:10 pm

Near the Credit Union in Ballybrack there is a derelict cottage for sale and it looks tiny so I looked up the auctioneers and lo and behold it is not as it seems ...it stretches sideways and back and there is planning permission for eight houses on it!!

http://www.sherryfitz.ie/commercial/18332

interesting the planning application number quoted,

http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas ... ts%3C/a%3E
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am

Rocker that planning permission was granted some time ago. I did look at the plans in detail
and found 17 places where the boundary was mis defined. The plans kept referring to Mountain
View which is up behind The Ramblers. I did submit an observation but don't know if any heed
was paid to it. There were lots of other errors in what was submitted to DLRCC. You should walk
down that lane, it will bring you into Oakton Park and is a well used pathway.

Sinéad
Sinead

PreviousNext

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY