scall Dalkey

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: scall Dalkey

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Interesting article in Dalkey Community Newsletter

DALKEY IN THE OLD DAYS - Part II
WILLIAM BLACKALL

"Even a seemingly nondescript lane can have a history that makes it suddenly interesting. And this was the case when Tim Ryan took me down the lane to the side of Fujifilm. The unremarkable building to the right at the end was St. Laurence's Hall where man (men only) played cards mostly on Sundays and an early version of Bingo called Housy-Housy -the winner calling out 'House' when the all the numbers were covered. There was a small farm at the end of the lane and the building to the left was Mulcahy's Motors which was originally the stables for Tim's grandfather's horses.

Tim's grandfather, Joe Ryan, was employed by The Dublin United Tramway Company, firstly as the driver of horse trams, then the electric trams when they were introduced in early 1900s. He also drove the now almost forgotten 'sand tram' which spread sand on the road to prevent the horses of the passenger trams from slipping on the icy tracks, the most notorious being the stretch of road by Bullock Castle, now part of Our Lady's Manor. Joe's horses were used in the delivery of coal and groceries from shops such as Findlaters, the present site of Eurospar. The groceries were put in small individual parcels which were then packed into tea chests, put on to the carts, later lorries, and delivered to the 'rich' on 'Hungry Hill'. It was called that because in the days before refrigeration, its inhabitants had their food supplies delivered daily and thus to the initial surprise of newly employed daily domestics, there didn't seem to be any food in the house.

There was a fish shop on Patrick's Road on the side of present day Roberts where one can see the ledge of a bricked off window that formed part of the opening to the fish and vegetable shop which had sliding doors instead of solid ones.

The town had two slaughter houses, both to the rere of O'Brien's and McConkeys butcher shops.

The toilets for the tram men were behind the Dispensary, the urinals were open for all to see, but thank goodness, the one solitary WC had a door that closed.

Some wags referred to Dalkey as "Scald Dalkey" because, they said, one could get a halfpence worth of tea for a penny.

Among people not entirely forgotten by the inhabitants of Dalkey Town is Nurse O'Connor who was a maternity nurse and lived opposite The Club Pub and is said to have delivered all the babies in Dalkey. There is Dicky Ryan who was drum major in the pipe band which practiced upstairs in Forrester's Hall which was on Convent Road some doors down from present day Powers Bookies. There was the premises known as Johnston's, now the EBS which repaired clocks, many of which remained there for months after being repaired. Has anyone noticed the small white washed cottage that forms the back wall of the cafe in the Tramyard? That was the home of a tram driver called Mr Kenna.

My apologies to Yvonne Fogarty of Yvonne Joan Bakery. A cat did not sit on the counter as I wrote in the last edition, instead it sat on Ma Riley's counter. As I said before, Ma Riley became very eccentric in her later years. Apparently she wore her long hair in a bun and was seen to stick money into it. There is another story that when returning cheese that had bits eaten out of it, the customer was told by Ma Riley that it couldn't have been mice, because, she said, "My cat sleeps on the cheese all night!"

WILLIAM BLACKALL
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:43 pm

MikeL's post on St Begnets started me snooping around Dalkey. Here is an interesting site talking about various houses in Dalkey.

http://dublinestates.blogspot.ie/2012/0 ... alkey.html
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Navanman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:17 pm

That is an interesting read Rocker

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:45 pm

Here is a little video of the Dalkey Book Fair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mdauvqyNmU
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:17 am

Tonight I had the most enjoyable evening watching St Patrick's Dramatic group perform three one act plays in Dalkey. A real treat. Hard to believe that there is so much talent in a small town. It was as good as anything I have seen in the West End. On the way home I got talking to some folk who said that there are also great productions in the Mermaid Theatre in Bray when dramatic societies from outlying towns perform for a week.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:19 am

No Dalkey topic so I reckon this is ok. Wow what a memory this is.

B*****n B****s

As a young boy growing up in 1960's Dalkey, two things often occupied my mind.
First, and courtesy of the Children of Fatima via the Parish Priest, Father Rafter, was the ever present prophecy of three dark days sometime in 1960.
At that time I had thought only Dalkey would be affected, I was both terrified and annoyed as we had just moved from Cabra.
Secondly there was the aggro, yes, violence in the leafy suburbs of Dalkey!
Any young fella that lived east of Ulverton Road wouldn't dare hang out in St.Begnets Villas. It was even worse in Glasthule.
Hard to imagine these days while sipping a chilled glass of white wine outside Caviston's on Bloomsday.

Wednesday the 31st of August was a lovely day, (at least that's how I remember it.) That evening when my dear dad came home
on the train from a gruelling day in the newly built 'skyscraper' Liberty Hall where he worked as a branch secretary, he made me an offer I could not refuse; to join him at a meeting of the Dalkey Literary, Historic and Debating Society where there was to be a special guest. It was a lovely warm August evening as we headed off on the short walk from Convent Rd. to The Cliff Castle Hotel, where the debate was to be held. Just as we arrived a beautiful Mercedes convertible ( green I think) pulled up behind us and a very tall well-built man with a long scar across his left cheek got out and walked towards the entrance.(If this was a movie it would have been Liam Neeson)

I had no idea who he was, but I remembered his name afterwards for some reason. It was Lt.Col. Otto Skorzeny , a former member of the Waffen SS. I knew what that was because I used to play German soldiers with a boy from Dalkey Avenue. He taught me all I needed to know about Hitler's crack troops.

Strangely, it was only last night that it occurred to me to google this man. I could not believe what I discovered about the man that I had met so long ago. This man whose same giant hand shook mine and had often shaken the hand of Adolf Hitler had an amazing life until his death in in 1975. His remarkable military career included rescuing Mussolini from a mountain top fortress held by the Allies to creating the first special ops team ever.

He was known as ' The most dangerous man in Europe'
and after the war continued to provide his services to regimes , governments and dictatorships around the world. He even had a fling with Evita Peron while working for the Argentinian Government! He is also said to have been behind 'Odessa' ,
the plan to arrange the escape of top Nazis after the war.

If I have seemed to glorify this man, it was not intended
as he was believed to have been a firm supporter and a member of the Nazi party and all the horrific things they stood for.
It was simply a powerful memory of a young impressionable lad who played soldiers.

Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:41 am

So in what capacity was he attending the gig in Dalkey?
What year?
Surely not offering his reflection on " the emergency?"
M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:54 am

Very interesting,where did you get this story from. The writer sounds interesting and would make a good contributor to the site.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Interesting story. Never heard of him before.
I knew a very high class German lady many moons ago and she told me about those duelling scars "schmiss". Usually only nobility had them.

Got this from google about Skorzeny,
He was a noted fencer as member of a German-national Burschenschaft as a university student in Vienna. He engaged in fifteen personal combats. The tenth resulted in a wound that left a dramatic dueling scar—known in academic fencing as a Schmiss (German for "smite" or "hit")—on his cheek.[6]

Sad that Dalkey was fét-ing such a man who undoubtedly knew what was going on under the Nazi regime.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby slipper » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Nice post Strum! sehr interessen!
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:14 pm

The chap who wrote it is Brendan Bonass, he's a Musician, was Guitarist with Stepaside. No other info like date Michael. It must have been the 50's as Brendan is in his mid 60's. dontknow
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 pm

Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:59 pm

skins wrote:Wednesday 31st August 1960: http://irishhistorypodcast.ie/tag/otto-skorzeny/

Quite stunning! And in 1960 too !!!
Id love to know who was in charge of the Dalkey outfit at that time.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:04 pm

Looking for clarification on this......
A restaurant in Dalkey opened with a Mussolini connection.....a picture of him or something in the window. Or it was named after him perhaps? dontknow
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:07 pm

Wow, nice one Skins. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:12 pm

Am I the only fecker on here who uses Google!
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/da ... 16718.html
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:15 pm

skins wrote:Am I the only fecker on here who uses Google!

No but it's easier to let somebody else do it. It's called community spirit Skins. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby skins » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:30 pm

:D :D :D
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Zirco » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:35 pm

Sorry skins, thanks for the link, very kind. wuu wuu wuu
Reminds me of that website LMGTFY.COM, short for "Let Me Google That For You".
It sarcastically shows the recipient a step by step procedure on how to google the info themselves. Sent by someone fed up with googling for others.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby skins » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Don't mind me, Zirco......I can't resist anything that brings out the nosy git in me!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:18 am

skins wrote:Am I the only fecker on here who uses Google!
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/da ... 16718.html

And their chips are shite too!

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:50 am

There could be a book in this guys......
Dalkey, Skorzeny, Benito's, the Historical Society, Hugh Leonard, David McWilliams, Erwin Schrödinger and his famous cat, deValera, Nazi vipers on the run from The Allies. The finale could be at Dalkey Castle and the metal spike, maybe the quarry, yes, a climb up the quarry. wuu
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:28 am

skins wrote:Wednesday 31st August 1960: http://irishhistorypodcast.ie/tag/otto-skorzeny/

An amazing account. Thanks skins.
I wonder who in Dalkey had the dubious pleasure of knowing this man, thinking he might be interesting and actually inviting him to speak to a public gathering. My skin creeps at the very thought of meeting him.

There was a huge amount of ignorance in the 60's (among the ordinary irish man/woman in the street) of what had happened in Europe during the second world war. I remember reading a book on the Third Reich by William Shirer when I was quite young and trying to discuss the autrocities with my mother and she did not have a grasp of the horror of what had happened.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:00 am

Incidentally, as a relevant aside . . . .

I met an elderly resident of Dalkey the other day, a chance encounter on the street with a lovely lady who proceeded to tell me all about seed, breed and generation of the various houses, the changing landscape, and so forth. A veritable encyclopedia of knowledge.

So I saw my opportunity and asked her why The "Scall" in Dalkey. She didnt know - "It was always called that"

M
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:10 am

Micheál wrote:Incidentally, as a relevant aside . . . .

I met an elderly resident of Dalkey the other day, a chance encounter on the street with a lovely lady who proceeded to tell me all about seed, breed and generation of the various houses, the changing landscape, and so forth. A veritable encyclopedia of knowledge.

So I saw my opportunity and asked her why The "Scall" in Dalkey. She didnt know - "It was always called that"

M

Great one. I have often thought of trying to infiltrate the old gang at lunch in the Club Pub on a Sunday. All the oldtimers meet there. Imagine the wealth of knowledge available.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY