scall Dalkey

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Re: scall Dalkey

Postby slipper » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Ah! sure haven't we always had a soft for Fascism & Fascists, we even had/have our own eg Duffy and the blueshirts and their descendents.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 pm

An amazing chap Michael Collins of a Dalkey family (whom I have known all his life) has completed 30 marathons in 30 days
a 600 mile run in Canada to commemorate the journey undertaken by Irish Famine immigrants as the travelled from Grosse I'le to Toronto following the route of the St.Lawrence River.Almost 13,000 thousand Famine vicitms died there.

See the details in this Irish Times article

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-styl ... -1.2663269

The Irish living abroad are doing so much to keep our history alive. Michael is an amazing writer, ultra runner and sound man! wuu wuu wuu
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:26 pm

Some man. wuu wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:31 pm

Wow some man alright. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:29 pm

New Book out Conan Doyles " DALKEY County Dublin" a little bit of history interesting old photos a little bit of guide .got my copy Dubray books Dun Laoghaire Shopping twelve euros.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sinead » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:43 pm

Enjoy your books Holla, the Dun Laoghaire Historical Society Book should be out soon as well.

Sinead
Sinead

Postby Holla » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Sinead wrote:Enjoy your books Holla, the Dun Laoghaire Historical Society Book should be out soon as well.

Sinead

Yes another one to look forward to "great little book ".
Holla

Postby Gulliver » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:15 pm

Sinead wrote:Enjoy your books Holla, the Dun Laoghaire Historical Society Book should be out soon as well.

Sinead

Will be out on Wednesday night

Don't forget Dun Laoghaire Historical Society lecture on Wednesday 16th November in the Royal Marine Hotel, Dun Laoghaire at 8 p.m.
"Hermann Gortz, a German Spy in Ireland during the Second World War"
Speaker: Jim Scannell
There is FREE PARKING in the hotel car park for those attending.
Journal Number 26 is hot off the press and will be available to buy this Wednesday for the usual price of only €6.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Holla » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks Gulliver,Iam sure the lecture will be very interesting,I look forward to my copy of the journal.
Holla

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm

I have always thought of the Guinea Pig Restaurant in Dalkey as very posh and out of my league. Since I retired I often take the DART to Dalkey and meet friends in the Club for lunch. On the way back to the station I have started to stop and read the menu outside the Guinea Pig. It sounds great and very affordable with an Early Bird special.

Then the clincher my cousin gave us a present of a voucher and tonight we went.

Well, I don't know why we stayed away so long. The restaurant is small and cosy in a very homely style...nothing pretentious. The food was just great ...go the extra and get the garlic potatoes...desserts were to die for ...
I could not recommend it highly enough.We went at 5.30p.m and there was a good buzz, locals and some tourists. The second sitters usually arrive at 7.30p.m so there was a steady trickle in and out. Big plus only 40 steps to the DART. We will be back!! wuu wuu
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am

I agree, great spot, good food, reasonable prices and close to the Dart. What more could you want.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Micheál » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Me too. Competitive with pubs for Early Bird and much better quality.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Since it first opened it has been a great eatery. Melvyn prepares good
food at reasonable prices.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:56 am

I was in Dalkey tonight and just noticed a defibrillator outside Ouzos Restaurant. When I made further enquiries I found out it has been there for over a year and is looked after by Dalkey First Responders.What a great idea. Well done to all concerned. The First Responders also give courses in CPR. Another brilliant idea.

Here is an old post from 2014 giving a bit of background to the First Responders http://irishredcrossblog.ie/2014/05/dal ... community/
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Tonight Dalkey Community First Responders gave an instruction /demonstration on CPR and the use of an AED to members of the public in the Eagle House it was great to see so many people getting involved and learning how to do CPR

Dalkey First Responders are holding their monthly Community First Responders training on Monday the 13th in lorreto dalkey all welcome to come along from 8pm to 10pm
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 am

I'm from that generation who always had "their place to go" in a town and for years when I went to Dalkey I only went to the one place. Yesterday I read in the Southside of a pub which had been done up and the write up sounded fantastic. Off I went to look at their website..It was McDonoughs Pub as you swept into Dalkey now it is called the Dalkey Duck. The thing that caught my eye was the two courses for €20 and all wines half price from Tuesday to Thursday from 17.00 to 20.00 with the meal. I don't know the price of the wine! but even a good glass at half price would wash down the €20 meal and I like to be out and back before the places get too busy.

For music lovers the bar sounds good.

http://thedalkeyduck.ie/menu/#prixfixe
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:15 pm

Recently I had a meal in Ouso in Dalkey and it was very good, great service and attentive staff.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Found this on Dalkey Community Council Newsletter.

DO YOU KNOW that a Marine Spatial Plan for Ireland is being developed by the Government through the Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government? This Plan has huge implications for the future of Ireland’s east coast, yet very few coastal communities appear to be aware of its existence. The Marine Spatial Plan, required under EU legislation, will determine the future of Ireland’s coastal waters and will lay out a framework for how our seas may be used. This clearly has widespread implications for the conservation of the Ireland’s wonderful coastline, its natural beauty, ecology and marine wildlife. The general public don’t know what Marine Spatial Planning means and the Government’s attempts to inform and involve communities in this initiative have been totally inadequate. The Department’s web site states “Marine spatial planning involves stakeholders in a transparent way in the planning of maritime activities. … throughout the process there will be a strong focus on public engagement, including a number of formal public consultation processes and environmental assessments”. The poor publicity to date leads one to question this statement. A public meeting (notice above) took place in Dun Laoghaire on July 5th. Dalkey Community Council received no notification of this. Only 27 people attended. The majority of these were not members of the general public. The waters of Ireland belong to the people of Ireland, but it appears that a small number of private individuals are having undue influence. For example, plans are in the pipeline to develop five major wind farms with a total of over 800 huge turbines close to shore between Dundalk Bay and Wicklow. Of these, 145 turbines are proposed for the Kish and Bray sandbanks off Dalkey, Killiney Bay and Bray Head and at least a further 420 have been permitted on the Codling and Arklow Banks off Wicklow. Dalkey Community Council is very concerned about the absence of a genuine effort by government to involve local communities in determining the future of their coastal waters. Wildlife and coastal landscapes are key marine resources valued and protected throughout the EU. A document ‘Towards a Marine Spatial Plan for Ireland – a roadmap for the development of Ireland’s first marine spatial plan’ is available to download from the Department’s website. We urge you to take an interest by putting your name on the official mailing list (msp@housing.gov.ie)and by contacting your local councillor and TD to ask for their views and to ensure that they are seeking and representing the views of local communities. You can contact the Community Council on this matter at: enquire@dalkeycommunitycouncil.com
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:31 pm

Rocker:

Never heard anything about this until I read your post. Usually the business community in Dun Laoghaire would have notices up about matters such as this.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby gingertom » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Probably too much detail but here is an up to date report from the Irish government.

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/energy/p ... Review.pdf

Little lighter for us to read here from the Times.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environ ... -1.3559987
zingerberi capillus et bene moratus.
gingertom
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Jeez, there's devil in the detail all right. It's one thing erecting these turbines out at sea, but I doubt that placing 7 of them along the promenade at Newtownsmith is ever going to be accepted.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Previous

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY