Dean's Grange

Blackrock, Dean's Grange, Glenageary, Killiney, Ballybrack, Dalkey, Stillorgan...

Dean's Grange

Postby Kite » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Does anyone have any information on the history of Grange Terrace, Dean's Grange? These are the single storey terraced houses opposite Dean's Grange Cemetery. E.g. were they built for a particular purpose? Who was the builder? What year?
Kite

Postby jordo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Hi Kite and welcome

Just had a look at the Griffiths Valuation site map and it does not show the cottages and that dates from around the 1850's. I thought the book Dean's Grange Cemetery by Jamie Moran, a member here, might have given some information on them but no and as a guess they were built as grave diggers cottages??? around the same time as the cememtery was built 1860's
jordo

Postby Strum » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:38 pm

I thought that too Jordo. Stone Masons, grave diggers, etc. No date.

Welcome to the site Kite! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:34 pm

Strum wrote:I thought that too Jordo. Stone Masons, grave diggers, etc. No date.

Welcome to the site Kite! :cool:

You are perfectly right Strum they would have been built for the Trades at best, the poor aul labourer would not have had such luxury in those times
jordo

Postby Kite » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:13 am

Thanks for replies.
I know they were there in the 1890's but could they be older? Griffiths Valuation is 1851 I think and the cemetery opened in 1856. The "Sexton Estate" had title to the ground and also the name Espinasse comes into deeds. Espinasse was a family in Kill Abbey. I doubt the houses were built for cemetery workers because there are 30. Even in the days before mechanisation, there would hardly have been a need for that many men to dig graves etc!
Kite

Postby grammer » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:00 am

Interesting info there Kite ---
any more ??????? :cool: :cool:
grammer

Postby Kite » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Anyone know the history of The Grange pub?
I know it used be Foleys but who owned it or what was it called before that?
Kite

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:29 pm

My sister lives opposite the cemetary and I just sent her an email to see if she knows any of the local history.
I'll post anything back if I hear anything.
Strum
Administrator

Re: Dean's Grange

Postby brandy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Did you know them?A shot in the dark here guy's&gal's. I am trying to find out about two very good friends of my parents who lived in No22 Clonkeen Road in the late 60s, named Bill&Kay Corr, they were carpet fitters Bill would lay the carpet and Kay would do any stitching that was required by hand(no machines then)the worked all over the area including D/L untill Kay passed away in the early 70s from lukimia, with that Bill just vanished and we never saw him again, some people say he went to Australia but we never knew for sure, greatfull for any help with this
brandy

Re: Grange pub

Postby Irisheye » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm

It use to called The Halfway House.its owner was called Peter foley.Years and years ago it might have been called Silks
Worked there as a lounge boy abound 1972...long time ago
Irisheye

Postby Strum » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Welcome to the site Irisheye. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Welcome to the site Irisheye. Would you believe that I passed that pub all my life and was only in it for the first time this year. Got a nice friendly greeting from the staff. Was meeting a friend for coffee.Looks like a decent place.

Looking forward to hearing all your stories.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby sallyb » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:07 pm

I think it was bakers corner that was called silks.
sallyb
Stellar Member

Postby skins » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:20 pm

I think you're right about that, sallyb. Incidentally, I passed Bakers on Friday, and the name had been painted over, Is the place being redecorated or something?

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Skins,

Big painting job. They have been at it for months and were plagued by rain. Lots of the timber had to be replaced too. I'd say it is nearly ready for the name to be repainted.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks, Rocker. The old colour scheme was nothing to write home about, was it?

Skins
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:25 am

Got my new telephone books this morning and had a glance at the Postal districts Map. Curious one,caught my eye, in the County Dublin area there are two places mentioned...Deans Grange and Kill-O-the Grange. I always thought this was the same place just two different ways of saying it. Now, can anyway tell me where does Deans Grange start and finish and where does Kill-O-the Grange start and finish???
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Would a plain ould top and bottom of Kill Lane not do ya?
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Navanman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:33 pm

So Foxrock is top of the hill and Deans Grange is bottom of the hill as well.

When did Ringsend become D4???

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 am

Rocker wrote:Got my new telephone books this morning and had a glance at the Postal districts Map. Curious one,caught my eye, in the County Dublin area there are two places mentioned...Deans Grange and Kill-O-the Grange. I always thought this was the same place just two different ways of saying it. Now, can anyway tell me where does Deans Grange start and finish and where does Kill-O-the Grange start and finish???

Id have said they were both the same. But its a funny thing, I never thought about the area having two names before. Which begs the question, ( ignoring DART stations) do we have any other local neighbourhoods with two commonly used names?
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:47 am

On mature reflection,

is Deansgrange not the area surrounding the crossroads at the grange pub? and Kill O the Grange the area surrounding Bakers Corner? The nearby (closed) Garda Station was always called Kill o the Grange yet, growing up just down the road, we used always call the 'area' Bakers Corner.

The Holy Family Church is in The RC Parish of Kill O the Grange. It broke away from Monkstown in the early 70s and takes in the sea side of Deansgrange and Clonkeen Road. We used to call the church Bakers church.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:02 am

That's just my predicament...I've lived here 40 years and now I'm only having the crisis...since I saw the postal district map.
When I moved here we were in South Dublin Co Council. The parish was Foxrock although our nearest church was Newtown Park but our address was Deansgrange, Blackrock. the other side of the Deansgrange Road from Rockford to the Grange Pub was DunLaoghaire Borough and Deansgrange and I think Deansgrange district ran up along the Clonkeen Road as far as Monaloe??

Like Micheál we always called Baker's corner..Bakers and when the church was built that was Bakers. church. we always called Boley Road and Rockford..Monkstown and Abbey Road to Baker's corner as Monkstown too. From Bakers Pub along the Rochestown Avenue we called the Kill...up about as far as the Rehab hospital the from Bakers down past Carriglea probably as far as the old Rosepark hotel we also called the Kill and on the other side from Bakers down the hill to the Deansgrange Cross we probably referred to as the Kill.

What do yis think ?????
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:20 am

I've got myself looking at Townland maps etc. I know this was probably put up on site before but I have been all morning on this Downs survey.

http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/down-survey-ma ... onckstowne
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 am

I have a map showing precise townland boundaries - DG and KotG included.
Will post later - when Ive completed my (eider)Down survey.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:51 pm

This a is from Open Street Map. Boundary between Kill' and Deans' can be picked-up crossing the cemetery.
(This is authored in the public domain and so is open to the same sort of error you get on Wikipedia but I find it's mostly reliable)

You can browse for yourself here - http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.2811/-6.1604
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Return to OTHER AREAS OF THE COUNTY