The Village, its people, stories etc...

Re: Glasthule.

Postby slipper » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:58 pm

Great to see 'photo's going up again! wuu wuu wuu
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Well done Grammer. Yep I'm afraid one at a time. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 pm

glasthule3.jpg
glasthule3.jpg (50.9 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:33 am

glasthule2.jpg
glasthule2.jpg (255.23 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:34 am

Glasthule9.jpg
Glasthule9.jpg (107.93 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:34 am

Glasthule12.jpg
Glasthule12.jpg (177.32 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
grammer
The Spoon

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:35 am

Glasthule15.jpg
Glasthule15.jpg (100.57 KiB) Viewed 3924 times
grammer
The Spoon

Postby slipper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:59 pm

grammer wrote:
Glasthule15.jpg

Ahh! the Farm! And not a parked car to be seen. Leaner times indeed, but with lots of fond memories.

Cheers Grammer! and compliments of the season to Ya!
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:36 pm

Is that The Farm???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought it was up Eden Vls-but now that you mention it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best wishes Slipper have a good one.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby slipper » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:49 pm

grammer wrote:Is that The Farm???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought it was up Eden Vls-but now that you mention it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best wishes Slipper have a good one.

Jayse Grammer! ya' have me doubting, it looks like St., Pats Crescent, but then again I can't recall ever having been in Eden Villas???
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby 56tiddles » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Thats gas Im trying to view the same photo as freesia. I believe that it is of my late mother and my aunt, it would be lovely to see it and I think my aunt would love a copy.
56tiddles

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:18 pm

56tiddles wrote:Thats gas Im trying to view the same photo as freesia. I believe that it is of my late mother and my aunt, it would be lovely to see it and I think my aunt would love a copy.

We lost a lot of photos from the forum when we moved from Image shack for posting. Now, strum has altered things and members can upload photos directly on here. Hopefully, someone will repost that missing one.

Grammer, I must have been busy around December don't remember those photos you posted. Did you have any names for the people in them?
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby 56tiddles » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:12 pm

Fingers crossed Patrick might post it up again would just love to see it. Thanks for your help and I will keep an eye out for it. Photos are priceless.
56tiddles

Postby spudseamus » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:27 am

grammer wrote:
Glasthule15.jpg

The boss says that's St Pats Cresent but we are not sur which end ! Is to the right of the pic the road to Dunedin ?
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Re: McKeown Family Glasthule

Postby Wolseley » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:34 am

farmboy wrote:
Ciaran Hammond wrote:Hello All,

Just joined this site. I realise the query regarding the McKeone family is now a few years old - however, I just thought I would share this with you.

My mother lived with her family at 57 Eden Villas. Mam's maiden name is Alice McKeone - Mam is now in her early eighties. Her Dad, John McKeone died when she was eleven. Mam's mother, Patricia, raised her family of 2 boys, (Jemmy and John, and her 6 daughters Molly, Betty, Nancy Pat, Peg and Alice at No. 57 until she died early . A previous posting was correct in that my mother did marry a well-known footballer, Eamonn, and thank God they are both now living in Naas, County Kildare into their 80's. Sadly the only other remaining sibling is my uncle Jemmy, who lives with his wife in Sallynoggin. When the family lived at 57 their long time next door neighbour was Mrs. Keating. When my Mam & Dad married (58 years ago) we lived in Clarinda Park for 1 year and then moved to Dublin. Peg, who was the youngest, worked for a while in William Supermarket in Dunlaoghiare and emigrated for a number of years to Canada where she married another Eden Villas former resident, Patrick Burrows. Peg and Patrick both returned to Ireland due to Peg's bad health and they both set up home in Dalkey - sadly they have both passed away. Betty married Jack Hick and they had their butchers shop in Sallynoggin. Pat married Jimmy Giles and they set up home on Kill Avenue. Nancy married Billy Coyle and raised their family in Rockford, Deansgrange and John married Mary Downes. Aunty Molly never married and devoted her life to helping her mother raise the rest of the family.

Regards,

I am new to this forum and stumbled across it when conducting some research into my family branches of Hammond, Kavanagh, Moloney, and McKeown/McKeon/McKeone. The 1901 and 1911 census have provided me with details on three branches however the fourth branch I am finding a little elusive. The branch of McKeown/McKeon/McKeone is quite difficult to trace.

The first problem is the spelling of the name and the second is attempting to match these different spellings with the census. I have been informed that as a child, my grandmother Alice McKeown/McKeon/McKeone lived in Eden Villas in Glasthule. Her Mothers name was Mary and she had three brothers John, James and William. I am not sure of Mary's husbands name (My great grandfather).

The most success I have had is with the name McKeone who lived at 52 Glasthule Buildings. Some of the family names appear to be correct. I have been informed that prior to living in Glasthule Mary may have lived in Murphys Lane in Kingstown and then moved to Glasthule to possibly live with her mother. Mary McKeown/McKeon/McKeone left Eden Villas and moved with her daughter Alice and son in law Joseph Moloney to Sallynoggin wher they lived together. From Sallynoggin they moved to St Begnats Villas Dalkey where the family remains to this day.

I have read in this forum that somebody knew the McKeown/McKeon/McKeone who lived in Eden Villas. I would greatly appreciate any information or assistance that anyone could give to shed more light on this section of my family history.

Although I have grown up in Dunlaoghaire I now live in Sweden and so access to this kind of information is a little difficult to obtain.

Many thanks

Regards

I was talking to the mother earlier today. Although 60+ years ago she remembers the Mc Keowns. The girls she remembers there were; Pat (Patricia) Allie (presumably Alice) Molly and Peg. She thinks that Molly never married and either Patricia or Alice married a quite well known goalkeeper. She didnt remember William but thought that John died some time ago. She knows James or Jimmy as she would know him and says he lives in Sallynoggin. He was/is a friend of her brother my uncle Bill and they would be about the same age, about 70 odd years old. Hope this is of some help.
Wolseley
Stellar Member

Postby slipper » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:30 pm

Nice bit of family history there Wolseley,lots of familiar names e.g. Peg Mc, William's supermarket, Jimmy Giles (played for TEK) Billy Coyle, Mary Downes etc., I'm a tad younger than those mentioned but, I remember the times quite well.Thanks for posting! wuu wuu
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby jabra » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:16 pm

Slipper
would the Mary Downs you mentioned be the same Mary Downs that was raised in Parnell St in the noggin
she would be around my age early 70's ??
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby slipper » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:42 pm

Jabra, the Mary Downes I referred to lived in St.,Kevin's Villas and there is every chance I could be wrong and that it's not the one mentioned by Wolseley!
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby jabra » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Slipper
Its the same Mary Downs you and I are on about her family lived in Parnell St and moved to Kevins Villas when those houses
were built her husband died a few years back
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:13 am

I was searching the parish records last year and came across the following....
In the Ballybrack parish records there are lots of GLASTHULE marriage records....I kid you not. :shock: :D
So, bottom line, anyone searching Glasthule parish records needs also to search the Ballybrack parish records. Strange but true. dontknow
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:29 am

Good spot Zirco
thanks for the info wuu wuu
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Zirco » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:15 am

grammer wrote:Good spot Zirco
thanks for the info wuu wuu

You're welcome grammer :D :lol:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:48 am

A shout out for a great ladies hairdressers in Glasthule

Harpers on Adelaide Road opposite the Eagle House.

I had a bit of a special occasion last week and a friend arranged for me to go there for a blow dry. I was more than delighted with the results. Carla was the genius who controlled my locks but the nicest part was...she looked at my nails and advised I couldn't go to a do with them so Natasha the beautician from upstairs rushed down and gave me a complimentary manicure. These hands that are always grimy and careworn from the garden now look beautiful....I can't believe they are mine.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:40 pm

That's great Rocker. I know Jenine the owner and they have a great reputation. My Son has done some part time barber work for her there too. ;)
Strum
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to GLASTHULE