Glasthule.

The Village, its people, stories etc...

Glasthule.

Postby farmboy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:38 pm

I have many fond memories of Glasthule. My gran lived in Eden Villas and back in the mid sixties my older brother and I would walk along the "Metals" from C.B.S. Eblana every Wednesday lunchtime for our eggs and chips there . A couple of our Aunts were pretty young then and they had the "latest" record player and the current hits of the time. One song that I particularily recall being played over and over in their house was "Spanish Harlem" which was co written by Phil Spector who,s in the news currently for all the wrong reasons. Its strange how a song nearly always reminds you of a place and time. In all my years knowing Eden Villas I only heard my mother the other day refer to it as "The Hundred and One" apparently due to the fact that there are 101 houses there. It may not always have been a highly desirable place to live but nowadays a lot of people would dearly love to live there and pay a pretty penny for the privelige.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby enviro500 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:15 pm

Farmboy,

There you go again mate, memory rekindling. Me Da God rest him always referred to Eden Villas as the (Note the spelling)" The Hundurd an' wans". again it was as you said because of the number of occupancies there.

A couple of my old muckers were brought up there, Christy Tate and Rusty Brown ? both no longer with us. I am I righr in thinking that Ronnie Drew was born there but grew up on Oliver Plunkett Rd. I know his sister Marjorie from our school days. Me Da used say that they were 'Artesans' dwellings but I am not sure if he knew what it meant, Bless him.

Thanks again for the memory Farmboy.

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby farmboy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi Enviro, that could well be true about Ronnie being born in Eden Villas, I must ask the mum. Dont think I knew the two people you mentioned but people I knew from there included; Hanlons, Robinsons, Kellys, Dixons, Murphys, Jacksons, Mc Keowns, Gallaghers, Masons and probably several more that dont come to mind at the minute. The people of those times had it tougher than we do today. My mother used walk from the Farm to there every week with 4 or 5 of us offspring and then push a big pram with two of the younger ones up the Noggin hill and back to Highthorn. You wouldnt get too many of the younger ones doing that now. Of course cars were pretty rare, our folks never drove.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby Sputnik » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:21 am

I was in Eden Villas on my recent trip home. My sister lives there now. The Dixons are still there (Cllr Archie Dixon's family).
Enviro, I think you or your Da are mixing up Eden Villas and Eden Terrace in relation to the Aritsans Dwellings. Eden Villas was/is Corpo and the same design of house was used in Smyths Villas and Carriglea Gardens and a few other Corpo estates around the Borough ( I grew up in one of these houses). The Aritsans Dwellings are those houses for the working class built privately, usually by the local big landowners (you referred in other posts to Lord Longford etc). I have often heard of these houses also referred to as 'Lords of the Soil'. The term was used to cover those houses in Northcote Avenue and 'the little World' in Cross Avenue, also the houses along from the Workmens Club in Georges Street, opposite Archers Garage. Essentially, any rented working-class house that wasn't built by the Corpo.
It is interesting in Snowys posts on the occupants of houses around the town that the Corpo streets, ie Dominick Street, are just listed as '42 small dwellings' with no individual tenants name. Whereas, the 'Lords of the Soil' houses list the occupants.
My sister was telling me that the Fire Brigade consider Eden Villas as a death-trap because they cannot get their tender past the statue because of all the cars now in the estate. Sign of the times indeed!
Sputnik

Postby enviro500 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi Sputnik,
Good to hear from you mate,
You may be right as the Gargle has dimmed one's thoughts over the years, agreat quote of Ronnie Drew. I remember some of the names and as Farmboy says I can remember my Mum Pushing Eugene and Sonni from Albert Road to the Farm also after visiting friends.

Money was indeed scarce and in Dunedin only the Gregory's, Mc Carthy's, and Joe Doran had cars, all out of 37 houses then, now it is proboaly two per house !!

I think my mate in Aus, Terry Doyle (ex Ardmore Pk), his Dad, old Leo Doyle came from that area in Glasthule. He died about five years ago and a life long member of Dun Laoghaire Golf Club.

Yes, Be God I remember that bloody walk to the Farm from Albert and that was Hudson Rd end as well !

Here's one for you Farmboy, Linda Blowers, up from Highthorn, opposite the Golf Links just past Jemmie Gleason,s house. Her Dad was Frankie, the Dublin crooner ? .

I hope yuo enjoyed Dun L Sputnik asnd maybe we will all get together for a jar.

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:49 pm

It would appear that I am the only member who is from 'The Holla' Some members have referred to it in passing but nothing concrete has ever built up (excuse the pun) in any of the Topics.
Here is a brief history of my part of Dun Laoghaire some of which I may have posted before but no matter, because hopefully it will attract some past members back to the Forum as I have noticed that some may have been from my area originally such as Marion from London.
When one considers that Dun Leary hardly merits a mention in 18th Century Ireland being referred to only as 'a small fishing village' it is no wonder that my Glasthule, 'mo Glas Tuathail' is not mentioned at all.
Monkstown and Bullock were the Kingpins of the area and all roads led to or between these two settlements. The Bay area generally was of military strategic importance to the British and Glasthule merited its own Martello Tower which was built on an old granite quarry where our present day Peoples Park is situated. The granite workings are still visable down at the Metals near the men's toilet. Battery No 12 was situated just below the site of the Tower where the Baths were eventually built.
The oldest map of the area I have dates back to 1816 and covers an area from (using present day names) the Marine Road on the West out to Castle Park Road in the East, and from the sea-front up as far as the base of the 'Noggin Hill in the south.
A road is shown running from left to right taking in part of Georges Street through Summerhill and Glasthule Road and on up to Bullock Castle. There is a cross roads at the Park with Glenageary Road intersecting Georges Street, continuing down Park Road to the Battery.
Running parallel to the main road is shown Corrig Road and Eden Road and which we as kids only knew as the 'back roads' and then stops and turns left down Adelaide Road to its forming of a 'T' junction with Glasthule Road as is the case with Castle Park Road. Other features of note are approximately eighteen dwellings of various sizes, the only one named being Eden Villa built in 1816. There is what appears to be a small dirt track leading to the Martello Tower at Sandycove and the Asylum Harbour, a 'C' shaped structure, is also shown which would predate the existing structure by a few years but Sandycove Harbour which was built in the late 1700's is not shown and as it has the distinction of having the first Life Boat Station on the Bay built in 1803 I thought it very strange.
Another interesting item which appears to be shown is O'Tooles Stream from which the area gets its name from the Irish Glas Tuathail, running parallel to Adelaide Road before entering the sea and probably indicated because it may have been the only source of drinking water in the area.
When reading up on this another of my childhood memories was dashed when I read that the face on Bullock Castle was not that of a poor nun that 'miraculously' apppeared on the wall after the Brits had murdered her but that of a soldier with a helmet which indicated to would be marauders that it was a manned fortification, something akin to present day burglar alarms I would imagine.
The boom years for Dun Laoghaire began with the building of the Harbour and it had a knock on effect for other districts in the area including Glasthule as a considerable amount of labourers cottages were built to cater for the influx of people into the area. The coming of the rail-road also helped and the area boomed as 'THE' place to live and indeed to set up business.
Some places did not prosper and I came across an article complaining of the rowdy, drunken behaviour of people living on Dalkey Common in tents who were engaged in the quarrying of granite from up there. Some places never change. HAHA.
Another map from 1842 is not as detailed but shows both the Martello Towers, the Battery at the Baths and another Battery below Joyce's Tower in Sandycove which I was not aware of. Strum recently posted a photo of The 40 Foot Men's Bathing Place which clearly shows the massive wall which would have surrounded this Battrey.
The next map of note is dated 1866 and shows the huge boom in housing in the area including the 'BIG' houses namely Granite Hall, Seabank, Bella Vista to name but a few. Seabank is the house I was looking for way back in October that led me to this Forum. But it also shows the demise of one already mentioned Eden Villa which was demolished to make way for the houses of Eden Park. The field opposite these houses was known as 'Mackers Field' in my day. (Rivetting information huh?)
Glasthule was also criss-crossed with lanes all or most of which had cottages built in them for labourers.
The 1911 Census lists 67 residential areas in the Kingstown 4 DED. Of those relating to 'my' Glasthule there are six that I can find no reference to and they are Adelaide Terrace, Castle Place, Cliff Terrace, Hastings Terrace, Leinster Villas and Mount Pleasent. this latter one may be just a single dwelling, and some or all of these may not necessarily have been in The 'Greater' Glasthule Area.
Talking about houses I have been unable to find any reference to the bigger houses in the area at the time of the Census such as Granite Hall and Clarinda Park House.
Grammer, Clarinda Park House is the place your Ancestor got the reference from that you posted earlier. It was previously known as Stoneview House and one of my da's uncles was born there in 1875, small World huh? (I am beginning to sound like Elvis, that's two huhs in quick succession)
Of those that are gone but I have found information on are:
Adelaide Cottages which were demolished and replaced by the houses of Dixon's Villas in 1933
Longs Cottages, two in number are still there and now called Buncraigy and Roseville.
Neill's Lane,Scott's Lane and William's Place made way for (I think) the car park at the bottom of Devitt's Villas.
Stargazer mentioned some time ago she remembered an air-raid shelter in dentist Tiddle's garden in Glen Terrace, well, the site of the car park also housed a number of these shelters during the war and were probably demolished immediatly at the end of hostilities whereas Mr Tiddle's shelter was still in existence in the early '60's as far as I can remember. The 'Artisan' dwellings of Eden Terrace, Findlater Street, Coldwell Street, were built around 1898
Glasthule Buildings, the 'Tivoli' as I knew it, was built in 1903, again to cater for the working classes.
Brooklawn House was demolished in 1920 to make room for Devitt's Villas and Snowhite posted a photo of her dad on his Confirmation Day outside one of these houses. Eden Villas was built in the early '30's on land previously belonging to Eden Villa. There is a statue there built in the garden of No 14 which was the house of Mrs Dixon who was the mother of Arty Dixon mentioned before by Sputnic and was built in 1940. I wonder were the residents given a choice, A bomb shelter or a statue? HAHA
Perrin's Row ran down Eden Road from the bridge, on which one of the cottages still stands, to the school and made way for the houses of O'Donnell Gardens, again in the '30's
Magenta Place is mentioned in the Census and I can only assume that all the cottages in the area were similarly built? I still can remember the ruins of the cottages up past the Astoria and those at the junction of Adelaide Road and Hudson Road and these were known as Carrol's Cottages. The school itself was built in 1909 and catered for girls and the boy's section was added ten years later.
Glasthule R. C. Church was built in 1869 and a tower on the original plans similar to the one still standing in St Michaels in D/L was never started.
Some of this information came directly from the Internet, the Census and from a book called The Streets of Glasthule from which my brother and his wife read extracts to me over the phone in answer to the very many questions the 1911 Census generated.
I hope to obtain a copy of this book soon as it appears to me to be a great read.
That appears to cover all the 'working class areas of Glasthule, the shops in the village itself will I hope be my next article and I will see what information I can get from the street lists posted by Snowhite.
Hope you enjoyed your historical tour of Glasthule, I would have been quicker going out and showing yiz as it has taken me an age to type up. Is it still Saturday by the way?

Footnote:
I also noticed that the 'Noggin and the'Farm did not come into existance until the 1950's and thought to myself:

"Sure that crowd have no history at all" HAHA
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:06 pm

Excellent and very informative article Jordo. I must admit I was beginning to lose hope as I read through it that you were not going to mention Carrolls cottages where my grandfather and grandmother lived. I wasnt aware of that until the 1911 census became available. My father had always said he was reared in Avondale( he maintained this was old Sallynoggin before it came to being) and it consisted of only 6 cottages. Apparently it was not far from the Noggin Inn. The family in later years aquired one of the servicemens houses in Honeypark.
The census was particularily fascinating to me as my father was born that year but not until November and it was strange looking at the occupants of the house and his name not being there. A younger sister called Joanie who Grammer recognized from a picture I posted was not born for a couple of years after 1911.
The other connection I would have with Glasthule is that my maternal grandmother lived in Eden Villas and I spent a lot of my childhood there. Her first husband was a gardener in( I think) Brighton Lodge and when he died in his late 30,s the family had to evacuate the gate lodge there and lived for a time in the Tivoli before the gran remarried and moved to the Villas.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby farmboy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:11 pm

I would have known more families in Eden Villas than nearly anywhere else. Names that spring to mind include; Mason, Jackson, Gallagher, Mc Keown, Lodwick, Kelly, Robinson, Hanlon and lots more that will probably come to mind later.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby grammer » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:44 pm

hi jordo what a fabulous piece of history there

my better half comes from glasthule -eden villas -so i'll let her read it later
man you certainly put a lot of work into what you've done -congrats-

re sallynoggin: come in here Farmboy

yes my mother spoke years ago of the 'noggin only being avillage and the white washed cottages called Avondale -I think my great granmother lived there as a child-and then the lords of the soil built the artisan dwellings called Longford villas

come in Enviro --you know more about Sallynoggin than I do-I never had time to listen to my grandmother or mother when the old days came up

Jordo keep up the good work - dont leave it for too long before you update us
grammer

Postby farmboy » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:06 pm

We will probably never know but the number of parents/grandparents of site members who knew each other way back then would probably surprise us. There was a family called Hempenstall who lived in Carrolls cottages who were possibly related to me. My grandmother on the dads side was a Hempenstall and she lived in the same Carrolls cottages.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:18 am

hi farmboy

your are so right -you have stirred a memory there -
Im think my grandmothers maiden name was hempenstall

I'll have to tryand check it out now -i will give my sister aring tomorrow and ask her

one never knows -its a small world they say :???: :D
grammer

Postby jordo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:07 am

Thanks grammer, I didn't know your wife came from Glasthule (you kept that a well guarded secret HAHA)

Farmboy,
Here is a bit more about Carroll's Cottages:

On the night of 10th August 1922 Free State soldiers of Harbour Barracks Dun Laoghaire surrounded No 3 Carroll's Cottages where three members of the Irregulars were hold up (Dev's lot.) During the subsequent gun battle Joseph (Sonny) Hudson was mortally wounded and died two days later in St Michaels Hospital..........
Sonny was living in No 3 Perrins Row on the night of the Census aged 7 with his parents and whose house it was that he was in during the raid is not mentioned.
In the census No 3 Carroll's Cottages is occupied by the Cullen Family, No 4 Perrin's Row was also occupied by a family named Cullen! Coincidence???
Glad the article was of some use to you and thanks for your comments.
Jordo.
May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.
jordo
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:28 pm

[quote="grammer"]hi farmboy

your are so right -you have stirred a memory there -
Im think my grandmothers maiden name was hempenstall

I'll have to tryand check it out now -i will give my sister aring tomorrow and ask her

one never knows -its a small world they say :???: :D[/quote
My God Grammer! Maybe we,re related!! :D Small world is right! :shock:
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby farmboy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Jordo, I dont know where you get your information but its extremely interesting, well done. I remember my father telling us tales of that time when we were too young to appreciate hearing them. One story that stood out in my mind was him mentioning what he thought were the Black and Tans engaged in a gun battle which he and his older sister witnessed. He said he thought it was a bit of fun and his sister dragged him to the ground to shield him from the flying bullets. He was only a young fella at the time and didnt realize the danger.
In light of your previous post my guess would be that he was there on the night of 22nd August (where else would he be at eleven years of age?) and obviously everyone in the cottages would have been aware of the skirmish that took place. The memory dims with time and he would have been in his late 60,s or early 70.s when he related that tale.
WE sort of took his story with a pinch of salt but thanks to you and your information I dont think thats the case any longer.
Well done again and looking forward to your next post already!
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby *stargazer* » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:16 pm

Absolutely brilliant article, Jordo, more, more, more please.
"It does not take many words to speak the truth"
Heinmot Tooyalaket (Chief Joseph) of the Nez Perce Native Americans
*stargazer*

Postby Toby » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm

Great stuff Jordo. I tell you what that would have taken me about 5 hours to type that lot with one finger :D . Brilliant stuff, thanks mate. Please post more of that.
:D Toby
Toby
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:56 pm

Wow, amazing stuff there folks. Brilliant research Jordo and thank you for taking the time out to share! :cool:
I grew up with Greg Hudson fron Eden villas, I know he has older brothers, must ask.
I also know Pat Dixon from the Villas, wonder if that statue is in his house???
My old and dear friend Robert Fogarty (Doc) (Flatlad knows also) is from Glasthule too. (Devitt's Villas I think?)
My brother married a girl from O' Donnell Gardens and my other mate Barry O' Neill's (R.I.P. ) Mum and Granny are from ehh...the square in on the right up from the Eagles house.
I was also condemned to Presentation College...so I have a few connections with the "Glass Tool" :D
The best cure for Sea sickness, is to sit under a Tree.
Strum
Administrator
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:15 pm

there seems to be a thread of some sort connecting a lot of us to glasthule in one way or the other
so we'd better watch our Ps and Qs

Jordo Farmboy the wife says shes remembers Carrolls cottages near the entrance to Congress gardens

the hudsons -"jumbo" mahon /mann and his family -dempseys-
carroll
thats all she can remember

Jordo yes your avatar is :cool:

shining the light of knowledge on us all --(sounds good huh?)
grammer

Postby farmboy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:03 am

Imagine your missus remembering the cottages and Jordo said he remembered them too. I,d love to have seen an old photo of them. Jordo said the raid on Carrolls cottages was in No.3. I,ve just been looking at the census again and my grandparents were in No.4! Close or what! Jordo, my avatar is of a distant relative of mine who was a high court judge and Attorney General. I,m not certain but from what I can gather my grandad and the judges father were either brothers/half brothers or cousins. There was defenitely a family connection there. I,d appreciate if you ever had a bit of time that you might shed some light on this. You certainly are the one with the expertise on this subject. Thanks.
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:12 am

gosh thats close to history --Farmboy

why did we not listen to our grandparents when we were younger ?

I always talked about bringing atape recorder when id go down to my mothers -but never did -missed out big time im afraid-

I did'nt get a chance to ask my sister yet about my gtandmother on my fathers side --i barely remember her-
grammer

Postby farmboy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:15 am

Youre surely right there Grammer. Unfortunately we never met either of our grandparents on the dads side as they were both years gone by the time we were born. The dad didnt marry till he was about 40 and then lived for another 40! We always said he had the best of both worlds, half his life as a carefree batchelor and the other half as a married man! :D
farmboy
Experienced Member

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 am

Yes sad Grammer that the tape thing didn't happen. :-(
I promised over the past couple of years I would do the same with my Mother because she had the most amazing stories of growing up all over Dublin to eventually settling in Dún Laoghaire. ...and I never got it together either...just goes to show thats theres no time like this very moment to act on these things. :-|

I'll ask my mate if he has any old photos of around the area. :cool:
The best cure for Sea sickness, is to sit under a Tree.
Strum
Administrator
Administrator

Postby grammer » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:06 am

your right guys we missed out big time

strum it would be nice if your mate had any old photos

opal i dont know it must be in the drinking water :D
grammer

Postby enviro500 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:42 am

Hi Gang,

Very interesting stuff indeed Jordo.. Sallynoggin was indeed Avondale.
I have a copy of a Down Survey map dated 1655, the earliest I can find and it clearly shows Rochestown, Kilbogget and a place called 'Ballintle', though listed as part of the Parish of 'Monkstowne' it is clearly situated in what is modern Gleanageary. Moving to my John Rocque's map of 1756 the districts of Rochestown showing Rochestown House clearly, Kill, Wood Park, Tobinstown and 'Clonigeary' , assuming Glenageary, Glasthule was spelt 'Glosdool' in the 1756 map. Booterstown was spelt as 'Butterstown'
I have in my collection a wonderful reference book in A4 size called
"The Book of DunLaoghaire, published by the Blackrock Teachers Centre and Printed in 1987. It covers DunLaoghaire and environs from early times with the above listed Maps and a huge wealth of information. I SUSPECT THE BOOK WAS NOT A LARGE PRINT RUN , however it has an ISBN number (Paperback version) 0 9512465 1 8 . Peinted by Elo Presss Ltd, Dublin 8 and it wasin association with Warner Lambert Ireland, whom I am unfamiliar with..

This book is well worth procuring and a good stablemate to Peter Pearson book Between the mountains and the sea

As an addage, My Ma was born in 6 Longford Villas in the Noggin. These little cottages were built in 1915 and I understand that my Ma's family were ther from day 1, indeed my Auntie Phillys still owns the house and since then, 1915 the fifth generation of our family has passed through that door, that being a baby born to my first cousins daughter in Bray a couple of years since

Ihope that adds a wee bit more of the history of my lovely birth town almost 60 years ago,
Enviro500
enviro500

Postby FLATLAD » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:49 am

Strum wrote:Wow, amazing stuff there folks. Brilliant research Jordo and thank you for taking the time out to share! :cool:
I grew up with Greg Hudson fron Eden villas, I know he has older brothers, must ask.
I also know Pat Dixon from the Villas, wonder if that statue is in his house???
My old and dear friend Robert Fogarty (Doc) (Flatlad knows also) is from Glasthule too. (Devitt's Villas I think?)
My brother married a girl from O' Donnell Gardens and my other mate Barry O' Neill's (R.I.P. ) Mum and Granny are from ehh...the square in on the right up from the Eagles house.
I was also condemned to Presentation College...so I have a few connections with the "Glass Tool" :D

My Granny grew up in the "buildings" she's listed in the 1911 there. I'm pretty certain Doc Fogarty lived in my granny's sister's house (Her nick name was Birdie) after he graduated from "The Flats" school of terror LOL
Granny never really left Glasthule even tho' she lived in the noggin for over 50 years, she went to the Eagle for jar every weekend. She statrted her life in the "building" and part of the ending took place with her wake in the funeral home around the corner from her family home.
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Stellar Member

Next

Return to GLASTHULE