Education

Courses, Learning, Schools, Colleges and Life.

Education

Postby Navanman » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:09 pm

I was watching a program on one of the UK stations last night and I must say I am still furious - with the School Principal, one of his teachers and some of the children's parents.

From what I gather on the program a small group of around 5 or 6 Chinese teachers came over to the UK to try and teach the children using the Chinese method - or something like that. Anyway I found the children to be unbelievably bad mannered, disruptive and spoiled little brats. One child brought a kettle into class and made himself a cup of tea during class, another girl started singing out loud, others were yapping openly and ignoring the Chinese teacher.

The Principal came in to see what was the cause of the "lack of control" for want of a better word and then proceeded to put the blame on the visiting Chinese teachers method. He then brought in a teacher (I think he was a head teacher) to monitor the class with him. Both of them left the classroom saying they would not blame the children. They proceeded out the door laughing.

The mother of the child with the kettle came into the school and there was not a word of apology to the teacher or any embarrassment for her son's behaviour.

All the parents were brought in as a group to try and get support from them and some of them (all adults) were not much better than their children sniggering at the teachers. One of them said it was the schools job to instill manners (or something like that).

One of the Chinese teachers, a woman, started crying and was explaining how education is so important and was telling how her father brought her up.

The children were making fun of the Chinese teachers to their face and I found the whole program upsetting and as I say I am still annoyed 24 hours later.

The school should be ashamed of itself, its Principal and headteacher. I was further amazed to see support for the children on a UK website. If that is the UK education system then it is an absolute disgrace. If the parents think it is OK for their children to behave like then then I think the parents are a disgrace as well.

Sorry for the rant and cannot wait for the final episode next week. Hope they close down the school and they all fail the exam.

Being telly they will probably all pass with flying colours in the end :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: (not enough of these little men for me)

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: Education

Postby Dancer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:22 am

Last edited by Dancer on Mon May 01, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Dancer » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:12 am

Last edited by Dancer on Mon May 01, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Navanman » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:37 pm

No problem Dancer. I am onto the UK every day of the week with no problems. I do however have an issue with that school and its Principal.

The UK has been great to my daughter and her 3rd. level studies.

NM
Navanman

Postby Rocker » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:36 pm

When I watch those sort of programmes or even Corrie and Eastenders I realise just how difficult English children are to handle. Again, I'm going to get back to latch key children, broken homes, ill judged relationships, no family planning, dragging up the children, no parental guidence, maybe no parents present, no idea who your Da is, no family support mechanism.. Gawd, it is really very difficult to rear children. I was never blessed with them but, I know i would not have been able for the pressure.

Those stupid gangs of loud mouthed English young wans really get up my nose and they are dangerous when they hunt in packs. I used to stay in Brixton in the bad old bad old days and it was a different culture altogether.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:04 am

I get all sorts of e mails about starting my own business. Got this today and it sounds interesting. A course in Dublin Docklands Innovation Park for 25 year olds plus, with some experience. It is a springboard + Enterprise Development.

http://springboardcourses.ie/details/3761

you might know someone who would benefit from this.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:32 am

Reading my Dún Laoghaire Southside paper this morning and I see that the Dún Laoghaire Community training Centre is in line for funding from the Minister for Children under the dormant accounts scheme.

I had never heard of the Centre so did a bit of googling. It is in York Road and I drove by...you would never guess what goes on there.

http://dlctc.ie/

That website would indicate to me that there are all kinds of courses going on there that would be very beneficial to our young unemployed but no big ads on the gate?

The newspaper article says the centre works with 20 young people involved in a drug and alcohol education progcramme. The website does not indicate this.

Does anyone know any more ????
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:51 am

I looked in on F/B and the Centre has a good page

https://www.facebook.com/Dun-Laoghaire- ... 3/?fref=nf

then of course I had to phone them to ask just what they do and it is a centre for early school leavers from 15 years who need further help and education and advice.

UNSURE ABOUT WHAT NEXT?.............................................
Have you left school? Have you decided not to return in September? Are you unsure about what next?
If so, call in to see us at 41 York Road, or look at the training options on offer on our website (www.dlctc.ie) . If you are aged 16-21 and are not in school and have no Leaving Certificate, we have courses that you may be interested in - Computers, Industrial Skills, Hair and Beauty, Childcare, Catering and Pre Apprenticeship.

That article in the Southside threw me but then again they did not give an address.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Who would take an "IT course" from an institution whose lastest news is "happy Christmas 2015"

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:32 pm

Micheál wrote:Who would take an "IT course" from an institution whose lastest news is "happy Christmas 2015"

M.

I was thinking the very things myself BangHead BangHead

But, hopefully my phone call might gee them up !...optimist or what :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:47 pm

Micheál wrote:Who would take an "IT course" from an institution whose lastest news is "happy Christmas 2015"

M.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I doubt if you would qualify anyway Michael, unles you get your hoodie and trackie bottoms on and know all the beats ;)
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:49 pm

I posted before about looking to learn how to speak Irish at my late stage in Years and Sinead guided me to the Lexicon. I got their Whats On and there is a Coffee Morning as Gaeilge in the Café Tuesdays 11.00am to noon. It is listed as "an informal conversational Irish language session. All welcome"
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Rocker, you should go and listen, they will help you. It is surprising how much of the
Language we retain. From this group you will find out about classes etc around the
area and other informal sessions. Perhaps next month I will be joining you at these
sessions!

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Strum » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:03 pm

It is surprising how much of the Language we retain.

Sounds good that. Thanks Rocker. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby MickR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:33 am

Seems to be quite an anti English sentiment on this "Education" post. Its worth looking at some of the dynamics that drives Britain. Population of over 64m compared to Irelands 4.5m. Massive multi cultural mix and a huge amount of people in each social bracket which makes it easy to find yob culture, racists, loud mouths etc when the TV companies desire to make a few controversial documentaries on the cheap. I've been here 31 years with never a crossed word regarding my background ever uttered. I've seen the Irish teams football and rugby supported by the English, whilst witnessing the Irish cheer on anyone who plays England hoping to see them beaten, myself included a few times. I've witnessed more racism in Ireland over the years than in the UK and as for yob culture etc it exists in spade fulls. No pun intended. Last year when the terrorist attack happened in France I saw so many Irish put the French flag up as their status in support. The recent attack in Westminster yielded a big fat zero of flag status support. It seems that we only need to mildly scratch the surface to set the anti British/English commentary going and it appears to be acceptable yet one cross word in an English paper for example re the Irish and we are ready for all out diplomatic breakdown. The Queens visit and hands across the water is a distant memory. My experience here is of a very tolerant society given its makeup, and yes its easy when you have 64m people to find large groups of whatever negative you wish to promote to your chosen audience. I suppose Brexit is an indication of the tolerant society running out of patience however I don't think Ireland can hand on heart say they wouldn't have voted in a similar way given the same circumstances. Its not that long ago we had to have 2 referendums because the Government didn't like the first answer. Education is the subject, lets look at it in an educated way.
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Toss » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:00 pm

MickR wrote:Seems to be quite an anti English sentiment on this "Education" post. Its worth looking at some of the dynamics that drives Britain. Population of over 64m compared to Irelands 4.5m. Massive multi cultural mix and a huge amount of people in each social bracket which makes it easy to find yob culture, racists, loud mouths etc when the TV companies desire to make a few controversial documentaries on the cheap. I've been here 31 years with never a crossed word regarding my background ever uttered. I've seen the Irish teams football and rugby supported by the English, whilst witnessing the Irish cheer on anyone who plays England hoping to see them beaten, myself included a few times. I've witnessed more racism in Ireland over the years than in the UK and as for yob culture etc it exists in spade fulls. No pun intended. Last year when the terrorist attack happened in France I saw so many Irish put the French flag up as their status in support. The recent attack in Westminster yielded a big fat zero of flag status support. It seems that we only need to mildly scratch the surface to set the anti British/English commentary going and it appears to be acceptable yet one cross word in an English paper for example re the Irish and we are ready for all out diplomatic breakdown. The Queens visit and hands across the water is a distant memory. My experience here is of a very tolerant society given its makeup, and yes its easy when you have 64m people to find large groups of whatever negative you wish to promote to your chosen audience. I suppose Brexit is an indication of the tolerant society running out of patience however I don't think Ireland can hand on heart say they wouldn't have voted in a similar way given the same circumstances. Its not that long ago we had to have 2 referendums because the Government didn't like the first answer. Education is the subject, lets look at it in an educated way.

Well said Mick, theres no doubt that many of your points are true, but history cannot be erased and each generation here has been raised on Irish history books and stories that breed hatred. I am always amused at the way the Irish ignore how much british culture they have absorbed in recent times and yet spew such hatred towards England for things that happened so long ago. Cheltenham is a recent example ..... Paddy goes there with his flags at the ready to celebrate any Irish horse winning on English soil, yet should the English wave their flags at Punchestown next week it would be seen as an act of war !!!!

The past is long gone and I'd go so far as to say that Mother England is in such a mess these days that I feel sorry for them. The Brexit vote was only successful because far too many of the middleclass decided no to bother voting, believing it would never come to pass ..... next thing you know, its too late and suddenly John Bull is making a comeback. I have many English friends and they are distraught at what has happened, some are looking for new starts in France and Germany as they fear the NHS, Education etc will all lose funding as privatisation will rule the land (with civil unrest on the horizon). Some in Engand may want to go back to the good old days, but if the truth be known .... there was no good old days as hardship was commonplace.

While we may not be in the same boat just yet .... I think our politicians are heading down the same road with voter apathy and a lack of good governance. its easy to sit back a wave a flag to celebrate 1916, but far more difficult to sort out a failing health system, homelessness and deal with a section of society that has become dependant on state support.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Sinead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 pm

MickR

I sincerely hope I have not written anything which could be considered 'anti' any race colour or creed.
Having said that I do wish more of us would use whatever bits of the Irish language we have whenever
possible. It is part of our culture and education.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby MickR » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:27 am

well if you did Sinead I didn't notice. Think i'm just tying to highlight how generalisation can be destructive. Thick Irish, English wankers, etc etc is just a bit 1970s and other decades depending on your age. There was a headline in the Evening Press once many years ago which said " Irish girl killed by English train" My Christian brother education when I look back was not very well balanced just like that headline. it was only when I was living here for some years that I thought our whole country would benefit from spending a year in the UK. Ive played rugby on a team with Northern Irish Protestants and Catholics, Southern Irish pagans and priests, English and Welsh nationalists and all sorts of other eejits. How do you say shin sceal ella in Polish? Can you teach me some Irish please? Could be a new topic for us all.
If two wrongs don't make a right, try three.
MickR

Postby Sinead » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:23 am

MickR, Thank God for that response, I would hate to give wrong impressions. I have
never had the opportunity to live in GB but have spent very many happy times there.
I have lots of relatives in GB.
I am not qualified to teach anyone and am only able to converse a little in Gaelige.
A few years ago I went back to relearn the language but circumstances at the time
prevented me from completing the course. I will be going back to the subject in
the near future.
The nuns and brothers may not have given us balanced educations but I do believe
they made us think which is very important. They also gave us a good grounding
in the English language and use of words. Very few schools were outside their remit
because the Government did not build schools, it was the Parish, whatever domination,
who raised the money to buy the land etc.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:04 am

Just heard about this Recovery....it may be of help to someone

RECOVERY
Recovery, inc. you will learn how to manage Stress, Fears, Anxiety, Phobias, Depression and Panic Attacks. Meetings offer hope and reassurance and Techniques for getting well. Your local group meets at Holy Family Resource Centre, Kill Avenue (behind Baker’s Corner) every Tuesday at 8 pm. Tel: 626 0775 for further information.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to EDUCATION