Griffiths Valuation

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Griffiths Valuation

Postby jordo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:22 pm

Anyone who is still researching their family history will be interested in this link. www.askaboutireland.ie They have put up Griffiths Valuation for 1855 and it is free. Very detailed information and a lot of the old place names in Dun Laoghaire that came up when the census came on line are mentioned.
I only came across it today and haven't gone in to it in any great detail other than looking at the D/L section. Searches can be carried out on surnames or place names.
Enjoy.
jordo

Postby Snowhite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 pm

Great site there Jordo.....Jeez more digging where's me Shovel. ;-) :mrgreen:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Strum » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:05 pm

Great site there Jordo. I need more time to go back but what a good link. Cheers! :cool:
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:30 pm

I,ve saved it too, lots of interesting stuff there.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Kav » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Great find jordo :D I've also bookmarked it :cool:
Kav
Advanced Member

Postby jordo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Kav, glad it was of some use to you. No one belonging to me in Dun Laoghaire at that time but my GG/ Grandfather is listed as a tenant out in Lucan. I love the way it gives an exact location for some of the Courts and I might now be able to trace them through to the 1911 Census.
jordo

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:39 pm

just been reading in the paper about a guy in England who has spent the last 30 years tracing his family tree--he has traced them all -the lot
9394 of them :cool: :cool:

his name is Roy Blackmore and it appears he has the worlds biggest family tree -he has traced back 45 generations -

the first King of England-Henry the First
Alfred the Great the first king of the Anglo-Saxons (A.D. 849)-
he can go all the way back to King Cedric of Essex (A. D.500)
his family tree goes back over 1500 years :cool: :cool:
and he says he's not finished yet
he claims that if you hit a dead end in your search -head off in a different direction
grammer

Postby Strum » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:34 pm

That's nothing Grammer! I can trace my history back to a bloke called Adam! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Alex x » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:37 pm

grammer wrote:just been reading in the paper about a guy in England who has spent the last 30 years tracing his family tree--he has traced them all -the lot
9394 of them :cool: :cool:

his name is Roy Blackmore and it appears he has the worlds biggest family tree -he has traced back 45 generations -

the first King of England-Henry the First
Alfred the Great the first king of the Anglo-Saxons (A.D. 849)-
he can go all the way back to King Cedric of Essex (A. D.500)
his family tree goes back over 1500 years :cool: :cool:
and he says he's not finished yet
he claims that if you hit a dead end in your search -head off in a different direction

Amazing Grammer.

If he goes just a little bit further, he'll end up with some bloke called Jesus!
Alex x

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:35 pm

hi Alex :D :D :D :D
grammer

Postby farmboy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:48 pm

Strum wrote:That's nothing Grammer! I can trace my history back to a bloke called Adam! :D

Hope you,re not gonna start RIBbig us about that mot he had called Eve! :D
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby farmboy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:49 pm

The PEAR of them were always robbin orchards. :D
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Griffiths Valuation

Postby lynxy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:38 pm

Ah sure, where would we be without that PEAR and THE ORCHARD!
I did'nt get into the cencus thing meself, me Da and brothers were into it big time and found out a thing or two. I wish I had listened more to me Granny when she was telling me things about the family, the Rising, the Cival War,Dun Laoghaire, etc.,etc.
Good luck Jenny in your search.
lynxy

Postby grammer » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:01 pm

farmboy youre on the ball :D :D :D :D

lynxy--we are all in the same boat -always too busy to listen :-( :-(

we missed so much
grammer

Postby grammer » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:22 am

thanks jordo for all the help and info you've given me over the last couple of days

jeeeeez you know how to dig deep for info --thanks
I owe you one :D
grammer

Re: Griffiths Valuation

Postby Betty » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:07 pm

Griffiths is great, if you know for sure who you are looking for. I am trying to find the family of John Hall and Jane Bryan, on the 1911
census they lived in Stillorgan, there is a John Hall on the Griffiths Valuation not sure if he is my John Hall. any help would be appreciated
I live in the US.Thank you. Betty
Betty

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi Betty and welcome to the Site.

I would be inclined to work off the details supplied by John Hall on his 1901 census returns as the transcription seems to be a bit more accurate. Both John and Jane are returned in the earlier census as is Arthur and Janie. Maggie is also returned. As you will see there is a variance in the age profile between the two censuses with the exception of Maggie and Janie. Maggie on the 1911 census is clearly returned as a ‘Gran’daughter and transcribed incorrectly as is her surname.

Bearing in mind that Griffiths was taken over a 20 year period between the 1840’s and 1860’s and listed only the primary tenant. In the particular case of the John Hall listed the returns were made in 1849 and working off a birth year of 1845 for John Hall on the 1901 census then I would imagine you are looking at his father or perhaps even Grandfather.

From the census return I note that Jane (Bryan) Hall was born in St Margarets, an area of north Co Dublin which to this day remains quite rural, it is fairly near me and if you do establish a link I will photo the village and its church for you and post them here
I would suggest you post your query on RootsChat.com, they are very helpful and might be able to assist you further.

Hopefully you will have some success and drop back and let us know how you got on.
jordo

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

Top Man Jordo.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Strum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Top Man Jordo.

Good one Jordo and welcome to the Site Betty. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Take a trip down to the Genealogical Society of Ireland. Thet are located on the Carlisle Pier, directly underneath the George III monument (the monument on 4 stone balls), where they have new premises opened last November.
They are normally there on Wednesdays from about 10.00. Anything that they do not know about Griffith's Valuation is just not worth knowing.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby spudseamus » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:31 am

top man Jordo!! :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby jordo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:00 pm

Are yiz havin' a laugh or are yiz tryin' to get this Topic locked :roll: :D :D :D
jordo

Postby jordo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:19 pm

Better late than never I hope Betty.

My first visit to St Margarets in more years than I CAN remember left me shocked, the village died because of a road that by passes it. It once sported a shop and post office but both were lost to progress and all that remains now is the church and school. I was talking to a man who said the only thing that keeps the church viable is that it is in great demand for weddings and the first two photos will show why.

The graveyard is still in use but the older headstones were too weathered for me to see if any of your relatives are interred there.

Attached to the church is St. Brigit’s Holy Well. When I last visited there was a marble plaque with some details of the history of the well and bearing a curse on any and all who would desecrate its holiness.

The entrance through the turnstile gate remains but the well itself has been long since neglected and the above mentioned plaque is gone.

I said in my original post that the area was and still remains ‘rural’ this photo proves it as the rings on the wall were for church goers to tie up their horses bck in the olden days or so I was told on my recent visit.

jordo

Return to GENEALOGY