Page 2 of 4

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 pm
by Gulliver
Pim's Court appears to have been one of the biggest courts with up to 19 houses and is referenced as being on Lower Georges St - but I cannot find it on any map. We know that courts came and went, and also changed their names regularly. Only about a quarter of all courts were mentioned on maps. Pim's Court was the birthplace of James Byrne, who died in controversial circumstances at the time of the 1913 lockout. His wife was also born there. I'm not familiar with Judes Court, but I have detailed maps of the Temple Hill area - will have a look.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:17 pm
by Gulliver
Oops, sorry, the detailed maps of 1868 stop short of most of the Temple Hill area. They go to within 50 yards of the Monkstown Road/Stradbrook Road junction and stop there. Have not found Judes Court

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:27 am
by Snowhite
Thank's Gulliver dnc1

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:01 am
by Micheál
Don't think I'll be bothering with the "Back to the Past" genealogical exhibition in the RDS this weekend. Went on to their site to see who would be exhibiting - nada! No information at all at all. Hmmm.

M.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:14 am
by Toss
I noticed RTE now have an Ancestry.ie DNA toolkit advert running ..... just like this one



Wow

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 pm
by Micheál
moving this recent discussion on place names here . . .


This is a fairly definitive place-mapping solution . . outlines townlands, Baronies, Civil Parishes, Electoral Divisions etc etc for every County

Ballybrack - in the Civil Parish of Killiney
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/ballybrack/

Ballybrack in the Civil Parish of Kilgobbin
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/kilgobbin/glencullen/ballybrack/

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:07 am
by Toss
Micheál wrote:moving this recent discussion on place names here . . .

This is a fairly definitive place-mapping solution . . outlines townlands, Baronies, Civil Parishes, Electoral Divisions etc etc for every County

Ballybrack - in the Civil Parish of Killiney
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/ballybrack/

Ballybrack in the Civil Parish of Kilgobbin
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/kilgobbin/glencullen/ballybrack/


Which brings us back to my original reply to Sinead wth this https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/kilbogget/, so is it correct ?

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:30 pm
by Micheál
Toss wrote:
Which brings us back to my original reply to Sinead wth this https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/kilbogget/, so is it correct ?


100% & bonus points for being first in with the answer.

M.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 pm
by Sinead
Toss/Michael:

Thank you for these links. I know the boundaries of Killiney Urban District Council - because my children were born in Loughlinstown Hospital they are recorded as being born in Killiney - this is where the Barony comes in. The shops in Ballybrack where the Credit Union is were built by Killiney Urban District Council, I have seen some of the original deeds.
This brings us back to the topic of where the All Blacks visited, it was Kilbogget Park.

Sinéad

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:34 pm
by Micheál
Royal Irish Constabulary

Records for RIC Service & Pensions - once only view-able (for free) on Microfilm in the UK Archives in Kew - are now available on line through Find My Past. (Fees payable)

https://blog.findmypast.ie/findmypast-friday-december-2nd-2016-2122421456.html

The funny thing, I was only in Kew looking at these records on Wednesday :roll: . The FMP records are better presented -
1. they haven't just filmed the microfilms, they've gone back and re-imaged the original paper records.
2. The records are searchable by name place service number etc - meaning you dont have to figure out the service number first (as is the case in Kew)

M.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:21 pm
by Micheál
Hi Guys

Can anyone say whether, in census returns, "Church of Rome" means anything other than what we'd call today, Roman Catholic?
Or might it refer to some specific Anglican branch?

regards

M.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:27 pm
by skins
No, never knew it to mean anything only R.C., Micheál.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm
by Rocker
Micheál wrote:Hi Guys

Can anyone say whether, in census returns, "Church of Rome" means anything other than what we'd call today, Roman Catholic?
Or might it refer to some specific Anglican branch?

regards

M.


I always took that to mean Roman Catholic too.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:00 pm
by Sinead
The Catholic Church was the name for centuries but when Anglicans started using that term we
changed to Roman Catholic. This is what I remember from the lectures HID used to give. I may
have it ass about face ways but the gist is correct.

Sinéad

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:38 am
by Micheál
Sinead wrote:The Catholic Church was the name for centuries but when Anglicans started using that term we
changed to Roman Catholic. This is what I remember from the lectures HID used to give. I may
have it ass about face ways but the gist is correct.

Sinéad


So the term was used to describe Anglicanism after all? In the context of my current research, that makes sense.

M.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm
by Sinead
Micheál, the Anglicans or High Church call themselves Catholics to this day. The main difference is they do not believe that Communion is the Body of Christ.

Sinéad

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 pm
by jabra
Yes indeed Sinead if anyone has occasion to be at a service in a protestant or Church of Ireland church say for instance a funeral
and they are saying their creed they say we believe in the catholic church so they are Catholics just not Roman Catholics

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am
by Denis Cromie
The dictionary states that the word Catholic stems from the original greek Katholikos = Universal. It also says that all christian faiths are catholic.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 pm
by Micheál
For Dunleary-ites with USA relatives . . .

Online U.S. Catholic Parish Registers

A list by US State, of what's available on-line (not necessarily for free) . . .


http://www.townlandoforigin.com/2017/03/online-us-catholic-parish-registers.html

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 pm
by Rocker
For years I have been looking in on the Mormons site...familysearch.org. A pal told me that in their church in Glasnevin there is a facility to access most genealogical "pay sites" free.

So today on the DART to Tara Street, walk to Westmoreland Street, took the 140 bus to Slaney Road, opposite Glasnevin cemetery and had three great hours from 10.00 hrs to 13,00hrs looking through Find my Past site. It is a very small facility just a few computers but a very helpful volunteer assisting us all.

Then an afternoon at Glasnevin Cemetery just looking at a few graves. Will do a more in depth look at the cemetery again and I'll be back at the Mormon church.

Michael Collin's grave is just at the restaurant and I noticed that the surround was made in DunLaoghaire at the West Pier...must make more enquiries.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 am
by Strum
Wow Rocker. great info. thumbright

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 pm
by Denis Cromie
You're a fund of information Rocker. wuu wuu

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:58 pm
by Holla
Rocker wrote:For years I have been looking in on the Mormons site...familysearch.org. A pal told me that in their church in Glasnevin there is a facility to access most genealogical "pay sites" free.

So today on the DART to Tara Street, walk to Westmoreland Street, took the 140 bus to Slaney Road, opposite Glasnevin cemetery and had three great hours from 10.00 hrs to 13,00hrs looking through Find my Past site. It is a very small facility just a few computers but a very helpful volunteer assisting us all.

Then an afternoon at Glasnevin Cemetery just looking at a few graves. Will do a more in depth look at the cemetery again and I'll be back at the Mormon church.

Michael Collin's grave is just at the restaurant and I noticed that the surround was made in DunLaoghaire at the West Pier...must make more enquiries.

Rocker, from a" great little book" about the harbour

TMC terrazzo marble and concrete based near the west pier made the cross and surrounds on Michael Collins grave they also made altar rails for st Mel's Longford their work can also be seen in merchants quay church and mater hospital chapel other work is the terrazzo floor in st Michael's hospital.The second world war and a strike about handling an altar for st Patrick's church monkstown didn't help the buisness which closed 1940

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm
by Rocker
Thanks for that Holla. I just couldn't remember TMC. That must have been a great honour to get the contract for Michael Collin's grave. I'll have another look at St. Michael's floors as far as I remember they are amazing examples of terrazzo.

All the main railway station used to have terrazzo and they were marvellous non slip etc then some "brain box" decided to take it up and put down slippy tiles!!!progress and beautiful terrazzo gone forever.

Re: Genealogical Sources

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:00 pm
by Harjoe
Just an aside piece there should be terrazzo floors in the collage in Carriglea Park,
I know that they were being put down when I worked there for the Christian Brothers in 1957 ,they were still working on the collage at that time and some Italian company were laying terrazzo floors down at the time, in fact the great Irish wrestler Gerry Martina who represented Ireland at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 was one of the workman there I am sure his father owned the company.