Genealogical Sources

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Genealogical Sources

Postby Gulliver » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:16 pm

I have just put up a video of a lecture by Brian Donovan of findmypast.ie. on genealogical sources - this months lecture to the Genealogical Society of Ireland - it is almost an hour long and provides a full up-to-date review of both free and paid genealogical sources. Find it on http://www.familyhistory.ie
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Micheál » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Harjoe wrote:Just an aside piece there should be terrazzo floors in the collage in Carriglea Park,
I know that they were being put down when I worked there for the Christian Brothers in 1957 ,they were still working on the collage at that time and some Italian company were laying terrazzo floors down at the time, in fact the great Irish wrestler Gerry Martina who represented Ireland at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 was one of the workman there I am sure his father owned the company.

That flooring system was in CBC Monkstown too.

Did I read somewhere that the guys would only work in secret, no one else being allowed to observe the process?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:44 am

Thank you Gulliver for that video of the lecture by Brian Donovan. I watched part of it and he is a good speaker giving great info. I'll watch it again tomorrow.

Micheál, I heard something like that about the terrazzo makers!They were spoken of in hushed tones and respected. Years ago when I queried why they were replacing the railway station floors ...I was told..."sure noone knows how to make terrazzo now".
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

and now for something completely different...I was doing a bit of research on a Dublin City streets and found this very interesting read.
Dublin 1756 to 1847

https://www.logainm.ie/Eolas/Data/IHTA/dublin-3.pdf
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Just in case anyone has any Canadian relatives . . . . . this just in . . .

Canadian Census 1921
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1921/Pages/search.aspx

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Just a note to let everyone know that the Genealogical Society has re-opened after almost 6 months without a premises. The fit out of its archives/library is not yet complete, but the tracing service is fully operational. It is now located in Loughlinstown behind the Leisure Centre and is open to the public on Wednesdays and on Saturday afternoons. It is close to the terminus of 7a bus
Come along and meet experienced genealogists who will help find your ancestors!!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Snowhite » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:42 pm

Gulliver do they have access to Old Newspapers ?? I was talking to one of the guys from The Genealogical Society in Loughlinstown a few weeks ago in The Community Rooms but as I was Helping on the day and performing in The 40th Celebrations I had to leave and never got back to him, he was a great help with info but as I said I never got back to find out more of what they could help me with.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Gulliver » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Yes Snowhite - For Ireland they have access to the archives of the Indo, Press, Examiner, and Freemans Journal as well as many provincial newspapers. Not the Irish Times. Also a large range of UK and US papers.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:38 am

Gulliver wrote:Yes Snowhite - For Ireland they have access to the archives of the Indo, Press, Examiner, and Freemans Journal as well as many provincial newspapers. Not the Irish Times. Also a large range of UK and US papers.

Gosh that sounds marvellous.
Every so often I tip at family research and have a lot of unanswered questions which might be aided by looking through newspapers.

My maternal great grandfather was a policeman in Dún Laoghaire then for some reason ...not mentioned on his file he is dismissed then shortly afterwards in 1883 dies of a fractured skull in a coma in a Dublin hospital. Of course he could have been just a drunk but I like to think some unsavoury character "done him in". :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Rocker, have you asked for information at the Garda Museum in Dublin
Castle, they just might have some information.

Wonder who has the archives of The Mail - anyone got any info

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:31 pm

Sinead,

I got the great grandfathers police record from them ...a Mr Hegarty. My man must have been on a slippery slope as after a number of years of promotions he starts getting demoted then dismissed!! It was some years after he was dismissed that he died. I have since found out that he went on to be a cabman (in those days it was horse and car) and tumbled off the cab at roadworks and cracked his skull.
I would have liked to think that some criminal had had it in for him and ambushed him...Ha the detective in me...I'd say he was on the drink as it came out in the autopsy that he had been estranged from his wife ...at that stage my grandfather would only have been one or two.

I don't know where the Mail archives are held.
When I get a minute I'm going over to Loughlinstown to chat to the Genealogical Society.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Might see you in Loughlinstown some day, who knows, we might have a coffee
in the cafe in the Leisure Centre.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY