Genealogical Sources

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Genealogical Sources

Postby Gulliver » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Pim's Court appears to have been one of the biggest courts with up to 19 houses and is referenced as being on Lower Georges St - but I cannot find it on any map. We know that courts came and went, and also changed their names regularly. Only about a quarter of all courts were mentioned on maps. Pim's Court was the birthplace of James Byrne, who died in controversial circumstances at the time of the 1913 lockout. His wife was also born there. I'm not familiar with Judes Court, but I have detailed maps of the Temple Hill area - will have a look.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Gulliver » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:17 pm

Oops, sorry, the detailed maps of 1868 stop short of most of the Temple Hill area. They go to within 50 yards of the Monkstown Road/Stradbrook Road junction and stop there. Have not found Judes Court
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Snowhite » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:27 am

Thank's Gulliver dnc1
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Micheál » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:01 am

Don't think I'll be bothering with the "Back to the Past" genealogical exhibition in the RDS this weekend. Went on to their site to see who would be exhibiting - nada! No information at all at all. Hmmm.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:14 am

I noticed RTE now have an Ancestry.ie DNA toolkit advert running ..... just like this one

Wow
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Micheál » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 pm

moving this recent discussion on place names here . . .

This is a fairly definitive place-mapping solution . . outlines townlands, Baronies, Civil Parishes, Electoral Divisions etc etc for every County

Ballybrack - in the Civil Parish of Killiney
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/ballybrack/

Ballybrack in the Civil Parish of Kilgobbin
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/kilgobbin/glencullen/ballybrack/
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:07 am

Micheál wrote:moving this recent discussion on place names here . . .

This is a fairly definitive place-mapping solution . . outlines townlands, Baronies, Civil Parishes, Electoral Divisions etc etc for every County

Ballybrack - in the Civil Parish of Killiney
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/ballybrack/

Ballybrack in the Civil Parish of Kilgobbin
https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/kilgobbin/glencullen/ballybrack/

Which brings us back to my original reply to Sinead wth this https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/kilbogget/, so is it correct ?
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Micheál » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:30 pm

Toss wrote:
Which brings us back to my original reply to Sinead wth this https://www.townlands.ie/dublin/rathdown/killiney/kilbogget/, so is it correct ?

100% & bonus points for being first in with the answer.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:48 pm

Toss/Michael:

Thank you for these links. I know the boundaries of Killiney Urban District Council - because my children were born in Loughlinstown Hospital they are recorded as being born in Killiney - this is where the Barony comes in. The shops in Ballybrack where the Credit Union is were built by Killiney Urban District Council, I have seen some of the original deeds.
This brings us back to the topic of where the All Blacks visited, it was Kilbogget Park.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:34 pm

Royal Irish Constabulary

Records for RIC Service & Pensions - once only view-able (for free) on Microfilm in the UK Archives in Kew - are now available on line through Find My Past. (Fees payable)

https://blog.findmypast.ie/findmypast-friday-december-2nd-2016-2122421456.html

The funny thing, I was only in Kew looking at these records on Wednesday :roll: . The FMP records are better presented -
1. they haven't just filmed the microfilms, they've gone back and re-imaged the original paper records.
2. The records are searchable by name place service number etc - meaning you dont have to figure out the service number first (as is the case in Kew)

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Guys

Can anyone say whether, in census returns, "Church of Rome" means anything other than what we'd call today, Roman Catholic?
Or might it refer to some specific Anglican branch?

regards

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby skins » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:27 pm

No, never knew it to mean anything only R.C., Micheál.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Micheál wrote:Hi Guys

Can anyone say whether, in census returns, "Church of Rome" means anything other than what we'd call today, Roman Catholic?
Or might it refer to some specific Anglican branch?

regards

M.

I always took that to mean Roman Catholic too.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:00 pm

The Catholic Church was the name for centuries but when Anglicans started using that term we
changed to Roman Catholic. This is what I remember from the lectures HID used to give. I may
have it ass about face ways but the gist is correct.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:38 am

Sinead wrote:The Catholic Church was the name for centuries but when Anglicans started using that term we
changed to Roman Catholic. This is what I remember from the lectures HID used to give. I may
have it ass about face ways but the gist is correct.

Sinéad

So the term was used to describe Anglicanism after all? In the context of my current research, that makes sense.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Micheál, the Anglicans or High Church call themselves Catholics to this day. The main difference is they do not believe that Communion is the Body of Christ.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby jabra » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Yes indeed Sinead if anyone has occasion to be at a service in a protestant or Church of Ireland church say for instance a funeral
and they are saying their creed they say we believe in the catholic church so they are Catholics just not Roman Catholics
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:34 am

The dictionary states that the word Catholic stems from the original greek Katholikos = Universal. It also says that all christian faiths are catholic.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Micheál » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 pm

For Dunleary-ites with USA relatives . . .

Online U.S. Catholic Parish Registers

A list by US State, of what's available on-line (not necessarily for free) . . .

http://www.townlandoforigin.com/2017/03/online-us-catholic-parish-registers.html
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 pm

For years I have been looking in on the Mormons site...familysearch.org. A pal told me that in their church in Glasnevin there is a facility to access most genealogical "pay sites" free.

So today on the DART to Tara Street, walk to Westmoreland Street, took the 140 bus to Slaney Road, opposite Glasnevin cemetery and had three great hours from 10.00 hrs to 13,00hrs looking through Find my Past site. It is a very small facility just a few computers but a very helpful volunteer assisting us all.

Then an afternoon at Glasnevin Cemetery just looking at a few graves. Will do a more in depth look at the cemetery again and I'll be back at the Mormon church.

Michael Collin's grave is just at the restaurant and I noticed that the surround was made in DunLaoghaire at the West Pier...must make more enquiries.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:44 am

Wow Rocker. great info. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:17 pm

You're a fund of information Rocker. wuu wuu
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Holla » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Rocker wrote:For years I have been looking in on the Mormons site...familysearch.org. A pal told me that in their church in Glasnevin there is a facility to access most genealogical "pay sites" free.

So today on the DART to Tara Street, walk to Westmoreland Street, took the 140 bus to Slaney Road, opposite Glasnevin cemetery and had three great hours from 10.00 hrs to 13,00hrs looking through Find my Past site. It is a very small facility just a few computers but a very helpful volunteer assisting us all.

Then an afternoon at Glasnevin Cemetery just looking at a few graves. Will do a more in depth look at the cemetery again and I'll be back at the Mormon church.

Michael Collin's grave is just at the restaurant and I noticed that the surround was made in DunLaoghaire at the West Pier...must make more enquiries.

Rocker, from a" great little book" about the harbour

TMC terrazzo marble and concrete based near the west pier made the cross and surrounds on Michael Collins grave they also made altar rails for st Mel's Longford their work can also be seen in merchants quay church and mater hospital chapel other work is the terrazzo floor in st Michael's hospital.The second world war and a strike about handling an altar for st Patrick's church monkstown didn't help the buisness which closed 1940
Holla

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks for that Holla. I just couldn't remember TMC. That must have been a great honour to get the contract for Michael Collin's grave. I'll have another look at St. Michael's floors as far as I remember they are amazing examples of terrazzo.

All the main railway station used to have terrazzo and they were marvellous non slip etc then some "brain box" decided to take it up and put down slippy tiles!!!progress and beautiful terrazzo gone forever.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Harjoe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:00 pm

Just an aside piece there should be terrazzo floors in the collage in Carriglea Park,
I know that they were being put down when I worked there for the Christian Brothers in 1957 ,they were still working on the collage at that time and some Italian company were laying terrazzo floors down at the time, in fact the great Irish wrestler Gerry Martina who represented Ireland at the Melbourne Olympics in 1956 was one of the workman there I am sure his father owned the company.
Harjoe
Executive Member

PreviousNext

Return to GENEALOGY