Genealogical Sources

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Genealogical Sources

Postby Sinead » Tue May 15, 2018 2:10 am

Snowy, why not try one of the local Historical Societies in Wicklow, they may be able to help you. Glenealy did have a very good one some years ago.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Tue May 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Snowhite wrote:Thanks for that Skins, I have googled it and came up with nothing, dontknow Don't think that is him though, The spelling is mine could be either one N or 2, just going by the date he was married 1851 in Wicklow and being of full age I presume he was between 18 & 21, so your date would be to early. It's stories that have passed down from my mother that has me thinking the pub would have been in Wicklow, sometimes I could kick myself because I remember her asking me to go to a Clan Byrne Celebration in Wicklow in the late 70's but sure I was to busy to go and sit with a load of old fuddy duddies................Boy Am I sorry now. scry

He's not included on this list of publicans in Wicklow for 1910:

http://ancestorsatrest.com/ireland_gene ... 1910.shtml
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Snowhite » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 am

Thank's again Skins think I'll have to do a bit more digging to try get some info about this. Funny though the other side of my Family were Pluck's and we always thought Plucks of Kilmacanogue was maybe part of our family but alas No. ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby skins » Sat May 19, 2018 1:32 pm

Keep on digging, Snowy,....you'll be able to claim a share in a pub yet!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Snowhite » Tue May 29, 2018 8:55 pm

Still Looking Skins ;) But for any of you interested

Deansgrange & Shanganagh Records are now online

The records of both cemeteries have gone online.

You can search for a name without logging in - it will give the name, date of death, and location of the grave.

If you log in, you can get much more - a photo of the headstone, an aeriel view of the plot, Full details of the deceased (Name, address, age, etc, etc with additional details like depth of burial, height of coffin, name of undertaker etc.
It will also provide details of others buried in the same plot, etc
DLRCOCO should be congratulated on a wonderful job. wuu wuu Find the records at https://dlrcc.discovereverafter.com/
Snowhite

Postby Rocker » Tue May 29, 2018 11:50 pm

Great news Snowy. I am stuck to it tonight.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Wed May 30, 2018 1:04 am

Excellent Snowy ! Thanks for posting, just spent ages on it !!!
keeper

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 pm

Good one Snowy.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Snowhite » Thu May 31, 2018 11:24 pm

It's a Great site, I've spent the last two days looking up family graves, some were where I thought and others I had to go searching for because they were buried with either a distant relation or inlaws. Also found a week old Baby buried in with one of my Granny's that is no relation at all, I know this kinda thing happened but why are the Family not told ??
Anyone else find anything interesting ??
Snowhite

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Like you Snowy I am goggley eyed looking up stuff. Most of my earlier burials in the 1880's are in unmarked graves and I spent years going in and out of the graveyard asking questions. The saddest thing is the number of infants buried. My poor Paternal Great grandmother must have had such a sad time she lost two girls at a few days old and two boys in very early childhood. I'd say it was poverty and lack of food that got them!
My Maternal grandfather's parents died quite young and left the two boys with relatives. I found the grave years ago just inside the turnstile gate and it is grassed over. Like your story there was an unknown baby buried in there in the 70's. I'd say most of my gang were buried in graves (paupers) which revert to the graveyard! some years ago I asked about putting headstones on the graves and was told I would have to buy the grave first. At that stage they quoted a large amount to purchase and a large amount to prepare the site for a headstone!

I am thinking of dropping a note to the Council to tell them which graves my lot are in and that I am still alive. I'd hate to think of them digging up the old lot and burying others in the plots!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 am

The plot thickens with this blooming graveyard search.

I found three from the one family in a grave but, no sign of the father and he died in the Boro!!

Another case, but I knew a bit about this...some of my distant relatives were mixed marriages and the Protestant ones are buried in the Protestant section and the Catholics in the Catholics section!! again fathers separated from children!
One of the many covered up practices!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby jabra » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:35 pm

While the info regarding the graves and who is buried in them is fairly accurate the ages of the deceased are not.
I have noticed this on my own relatives records including my own father's record which states he was 65 at death
but he was 63 when he died but its still a great site.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:50 am

jabra wrote:While the info regarding the graves and who is buried in them is fairly accurate the ages of the deceased are not.
I have noticed this on my own relatives records including my own father's record which states he was 65 at death
but he was 63 when he died but its still a great site.

I have found this but, I think that who ever went to inform of the death may not have known the precise age of the departed. I remember my mother saying that birthdays were never celebrated and when they quizzed my granny about dates she would say something like "I think you were born at Whit"!...which wasn't a fixed date. I had terrible trouble when my father died and no one knew just how old he was or when he was born and I spent ages in the Custom House going through books. Nowadays everything is just a click of a computer button.

The graveyard records have me going back to the parish registers and now I have found that my paternal Great grandfather was from "The Bawn" in Newtown Park!! now just where was that?? it is all one step forward and two backwards with family research!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:35 pm

This is a great site, I spent ages on it. To-day I was onto Deansgrange because I found a error. They have promised
to correct this but explained that the site is only as good as the person trying to read handwritten records.
If you cannot find what you are looking for play around with other versions of the name.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:13 am

Rocker wrote:The plot thickens . . .

. . . many covered up practices!!

I think that's was a requirement, even beck in those days.
But I never knew the units in the cemetary were expanding.
:D :D
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:45 pm

I wonder if the National Library are going to add to their parish records? I though there was a 100 year rule which means we should be able to access up to 1918. Anyone any ideas??
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY