We Irish

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

We Irish

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Reading before Christmas a couple of hundred new Irish people took part in a ceremony
to swear allegiance to the flag and receive their citizenship papers.
Leaving politics -religion and the usual moans aside
Are we proud to be Irish ?
Are we proud of what we are as individuals?
Do we respect our flag??
So leaving your political leanings and beliefs aside

I had a poll up but I could'nt get the poll right -
So maybe Strum could start a poll on this -
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Re: We Irish

Postby Strum » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:42 pm

It's too broad a question or questions I reckon for a poll Grammer. dontknow

Interesting questions posed about how we really feel today. Thieving governments, huge inflow of foreign nationals, obesity, increase in prescribed medicines, less policing, disaster in the health service, privatisation, brown envelopes....etc...

"allegiance to the Flag?

We are willing to fight for the flag we love
Be the chances great or small
We are willing to fight for the flag above
Be the chances nothing at all

I don't know if that Flag represents the Irish People anymore, allegiance to the Family more so these days.

And Proud to be Irish? Umm...
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:07 am

Interesting Grammer, I saw that ceremony and thought I was never asked to swear allegience to a flag? I do wish them well particularily all who have left the countries that they love to try and start a better life for their families...just what the irish did in the 1850's sailing for America. Please God our little country can get off it's knees and be a better country for us all.

You asked some powerful questions as we stand on the brink of 2016....100 years after the Rising and 100 years after my mother was born.

Politics and religion have coloured our lives and seared into our hearts and the hearts of our forefathers. We are a product of both. I was once called a "West Brit" by a most venemous person and I realised that day that was what I was and am.All that said ...........Yes, I am proud to be Irish. I am proud of what I am warts and all.I don't know if the flag means that much to me, it is symbolic. I would love to be able to speak Irish. When the chips are down I would/will/do stand up and fight for my country. "Irish and proud of it"
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:36 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again ....... there is nothing Irish left here anymore. We are a multiculural, multinational, multireligious manifestation of all the worst traits of greed. We can talk about being Irish, sing about being Irish ... but dare ask us to explain as to why we have adopted american culture in every form of life. From real ham to processed foods, from Popes to Preachers, from the quiet man to the loud mouth, from a local health service that worked to a national disaster that promotes private health care ..... we have become American and celebrate our St Patricks Day accordingly with fake shamrock and false smiles. We cant even insist in every school teaching Irish for fear of upsetting some minority group and as for respect the flag ? ha ha sure how many even know what its colours stand for and dare ask you about Tommy Meagher and where it came from :roll:
This is being Irish these days :
We've come a long way since 1916 .... too far some would say ;)

Ps well you did ask and I hate to disappoint :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:55 am

I did ask for the usual moans to be left aside :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hard to do -cos we are a moaning race of people -
But hey we -in general- are doing alright-

We arent hungry-fact
We -work or dont work -but we still get by-fact
Check on the amount of us that are heading off for a January holiday -cos we are worn out from the Christmas /New Years sales
Overall -we /us are doing OK -thank god /If you believe in him /or the great god of money-
Yes we are Americanised -by choice -
Music -movies -our desires to stay up with the Jones -
I could go on and on -
but that's not the questions I asked

Do we respect our flag??
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Zirco » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:03 am

grammer wrote:Reading before Christmas a couple of hundred new Irish people took part in a ceremony
to swear allegiance to the flag and receive their citizenship papers.
Leaving politics -religion and the usual moans aside
Do we respect our flag??
So leaving your political leanings and beliefs aside

I had a poll up but I could'nt get the poll right -
So maybe Strum could start a poll on this -

Such big questions grammer.... :D
I love to see those ceremonies....where people from abroad become Irish citizens. We need diversity, new blood, no connection with the civil war split, a vibrant gene pool, it helps us move forward as a nation of the world. It dilutes the grip of the Catholic Church on our society, a grip that was once a stranglehold. We need more tolerance of immigrants, we should embrace them and treat them as we wish to be treated.....more caring, compassion, forgiveness, positivity, inclusiveness, etc etc.

Initially, I answered your three questions in the affirmative grammer, yes, I am proud. But then I thought of all those who are hurting for one reason or another ....hurting because
They were forced to emigrate, they lost their jobs, lost their homes, they can't pay their bills, they rely on charity, they get treated badly by the system, they get ripped off by the system, they lie on trolleys in overcrowded A&Es, their homes are flooded, the planners let them down, their public representatives let them down, the legal system let them down, they are on the streets..and so on and so on.
It's hard to be proud when so much is wrong. ...no?........ dontknow
Proud to be Irish? On reflection, NO.
Are we proud of what we are as individuals? No, as an individual, I can do a lot more.
Do we respect our flag?? Not enough as a society, civic studies...is it taught in schools?, it should be. dontknow
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby bugrock » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:05 am

Is it a coincidence that our flag so closely resembles the Indian one. If Ireland is anything like Australia we'll be all speaking Urdu and Hindi before long. Look who has taken control of most essential service jobs in the past few years.
Yes, I''m proud to be Irish and Australian, but who will be my master in twenty years? BangHead BangHead BangHead
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Toss » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:28 pm

grammer wrote:I did ask for the usual moans to be left aside :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hard to do -cos we are a moaning race of people -
But hey we -in general- are doing alright-

We arent hungry-fact
We -work or dont work -but we still get by-fact
Check on the amount of us that are heading off for a January holiday -cos we are worn out from the Christmas /New Years sales
Overall -we /us are doing OK -thank god /If you believe in him /or the great god of money-
Yes we are Americanised -by choice -
Music -movies -our desires to stay up with the Jones -
I could go on and on -
but that's not the questions I asked

Do we respect our flag??

I think you proved my point in many ways there Grammer ..... we aren't hungry, we get by, we get holidays and new cars and all the perks to keep us quiet BUT its all built on importation and foreign investment .... if the bubble bursts and we end up in lock down, can we actually look after ourselves ??? I think we are far too dependent on international providers and have lost control of our destiny as well as our identity. The multi national corporations have us by the goolies and we really dont know what it is to be Irish anymore no more than the English know what it is to be English unless they watch Downton Abbey :twisted:
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:30 pm

Like yourself Toss I am too citified and see everything from a Dublin perspective.

I have had brushes with country folk and country life and it is heartwarming. I think I put it up here before but, my nephew died suddenly last year. He lived in a very remote part of the country with a bit of a makeshift road up to the house and general rough and ready area. It was a cold, windy, wet November and within hours hundreds of locals from far and wide gathered. They straightened and widened the roadway to the house, gravelled it all the while others were cutting back hedgerows for miles to make a wide enough passage for the funeral from the church to the graveyard in the next townland. All night long men and women pulled and dragged. Next day five sturdy and not so sturdy men dug the grave.Food, stews,fuel etc were delivered to the house where womenfolk from every parish prepared the day. These self same folk live in rural isolation where they dig their own wells for water, tend their crops, cut their turf, rear their cattle and have a fair few thriving business' thought up by themselves in the local co-op and financed by sweat and tears.They are proud of their townland, county and country and make me very proud of my country and it's people. They would certainly survive if the multi nationals pulled out. Humble folk who can move mountains when needed.Never underestimate the native irish person ....sure, as they say in the movies...they built N.Y.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:14 pm

Grammer: Trust you to come up with something like this.

Yes, I am proud to be Irish.
Yes, I believe I have helped others during my life so far
Yes, I respect the flag and all it stands for. I detest seeing
it draped upside down by yahoos of both sexes.

I do hope that those who have been granted citizenship find
hope and peace in their new country.

For all of you who did not answer YES do something about this
in 2016. Stand up and be counted for yourselves and your
descendants.

Sinéd
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:43 pm

Sinead wrote:For all of you who did not answer YES do something about this
in 2016. Stand up and be counted for yourselves and your
descendants.
Sinéd

Good call Sinead ...... especially with an election coming up wuu

I see our Welsh friends are starting to stand up http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crickhowell-welsh-town-moves-offshore-to-avoid-tax-on-local-business-a6728971.html wuu wuu
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Snowhite » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:39 am

Yes I'm a proud Irish woman

Couldn't resist putting these up though. ;)

Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby slipper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Rocker wrote:Like yourself Toss I am too citified and see everything from a Dublin perspective.

I have had brushes with country folk and country life and it is heartwarming. I think I put it up here before but, my nephew died suddenly last year. He lived in a very remote part of the country with a bit of a makeshift road up to the house and general rough and ready area. It was a cold, windy, wet November and within hours hundreds of locals from far and wide gathered. They straightened and widened the roadway to the house, gravelled it all the while others were cutting back hedgerows for miles to make a wide enough passage for the funeral from the church to the graveyard in the next townland. All night long men and women pulled and dragged. Next day five sturdy and not so sturdy men dug the grave.Food, stews,fuel etc were delivered to the house where womenfolk from every parish prepared the day. These self same folk live in rural isolation where they dig their own wells for water, tend their crops, cut their turf, rear their cattle and have a fair few thriving business' thought up by themselves in the local co-op and financed by sweat and tears.They are proud of their townland, county and country and make me very proud of my country and it's people. They would certainly survive if the multi nationals pulled out. Humble folk who can move mountains when needed.Never underestimate the native irish person ....sure, as they say in the movies...they built N.Y.

Well said Rocker,and happy new year to Ya'
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Toss » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:07 pm

electric picnic waste.jpg
electric picnic waste.jpg (231.76 KiB) Viewed 2056 times

This is one of the fields full of deserted tents, sleeping bags, clothes and assorted rubbish left by those at the Electric Picnic. It is a prime example of what a wasteful vulgar race of people we are these days. I dont care about the handwringers telling me this is OK because the 'Jacket off your back' wombles will come along, clean it all up and send the salvage to a good cause ...... ITS A DISGRACE.

This is modern Ireland .... this is 'We Irish' in real life and its all hushed up cause there's money to be made from every angle and sure they were just having a good time eh !

Proud to be Irish ? not when I see that.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:18 pm

I know they are told to leave the tents which are then used for good causes but rubbish....unreal. There is an age group that considers cleaning up beneath them...that is the poor man's job and of course we have to leave lots for him to do. No pride in themselves or their place.
I even was in a mobile phone shop and there is a picnic phone which they buy for about 20 Euros , put some credit in and then throw away after the event. BangHead BangHead

What is Ireland coming to??????
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:34 am

Hi Rocker, the reason they can buy a mobile for €20 is for safety . If they bring their expensive iPhones , they can be stolen .
My views ..... the kids are having a great weekend . They are not disturbing anyone and by leaving their tents they are contributing to numerous homeless charities etc. Don't knock them? They are enjoying life and that's how it should be !
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:03 am

I see your point Dancer...but, the rubbish..... :?: :?:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:15 am

Rocker wrote:I see your point Dancer...but, the rubbish..... :?: :?:

I know ! It looks unsightly but someone is paid to clean up afterwards .
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Toss » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:09 pm

If buying a brand new tent, abusing it and leaving it in a mess in a field is acceptable and seen as part of having fun....... then I would suggest we are at the point where Irish people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Personally speaking, if I spend a €100 on a tent and was thinking about donating it to a good cause after I use it for a weekend ...... I would look after it, fold it up and have it ready for collection or even drop it off myself. Obviously such behaviour is out dated and not considered by those having fun, but it remains intact in our family as we know respect is earned and not bought.

I wonder if it possible to have fun and not expect someone else to clean up your piss stained mess ? if so then theres no excuse for what was left to clean up last weekend, as very little of it was actually salvaged for re-use.
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Seems to me that the above discussion illustrates one of the most prominent characteristics of We Irish - the propensity to wander off the point.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Dancer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Gulliver wrote:Seems to me that the above discussion illustrates one of the most prominent characteristics of We Irish - the propensity to wander off the point.

It's called " Having de craic " Gulliver . That's what makes the Irish so loveable ......we start off with one story and before you know it , we've covered ten other topics - pure gold !
xx Dancer xx

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:58 pm

Dancer wrote:
Gulliver wrote:Seems to me that the above discussion illustrates one of the most prominent characteristics of We Irish - the propensity to wander off the point.

It's called " Having de craic " Gulliver . That's what makes the Irish so loveable ......we start off with one story and before you know it , we've covered ten other topics - pure gold !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thats us.....in real life I talk over people, butt in, change the topic of conversation and never listen to the end of anyone's story...blah, blah, love the meandering Irish.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:39 am

Dancer wrote:It's called " Having de craic " Gulliver

Lets have none of that carry on here ...... craic me arse :P
Toss
Skies are Blue

Return to GENEALOGY