My Grandad

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

My Grandad

Postby K4teB » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi, I am trying to help my Grandad find out who his father was ... he (Thomas Warner) was born out of welock to Delia Warner in 1930. He was brought up by his grandparents Alfred and Maude Warner untill the age of about 6 when his grandmother passed away and Alfred re married ...Grandads Aunt Ellen Warner (only 22 at the time and who never married) took him on. She brought him up at 3 Temple Terrace, Rocfort Avenue Dalkey. She was the housekeeper I believe to a Scottish doctor by the name of Grier. She ended up inheriting the house I believe it was left to her in the will.

Anyway my dear grandad is 84 and still I know would want to know who his father was .... he has 8 other siblings who are the children of Delia Warner and I'm told Patrick Hinch who are all still alive but i would imagine in their 70's. I am not sure if they have been asked the question, whether they know or whether if they did know they are able to say something as the feeling is something was hushed up ...

If anyone has any recolection of these people or what happened to warrant my Grandad never being told who his father was I would be very grateful, it is a long time family mystery that in the 21st centuary I am hoping can be solved...

thanks in advance and fingers crossed!!

Kate
K4teB

Re: My Grandad

Postby jwdalk » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 am

Hi Kate, I don't know if this is any help and you probably know it already. My granny was great friends with Miss Warner. She had two brothers, Bertie and Alphonsus. Bertie was a batchelor and lived on Meaney Avenue in Dalkey. He is long dead. Alphonsus had a family, I was in primary school with one his daughters, Mary. As far as I know Alphonsus lived in the Noggin, so maybe someone from the Noggin on this forum will remember him and maybe that side of the family will have some information that might help. . Also, as far as I know Miss Warner was Presbyterian.
As I said, you probably know all this, but it's better to read it twice than not at all!
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby Snowhite » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:19 am

Census 1911, Address was Moland Place, North Dock,Dublin

Warner Alfred 33 Male ........Head of Family.... Church of Ireland England..... House Painter
Warner Albert 13 Male ........Son
Warner Alfred 11 Male .........Son
Warner Adolphus 8 Male ........Son
Warner Delia 6 Female..... Daughter
Warner Bertraw 4 Male ........Son
Warner Ellen 2 Female..... Daughter
Wilson Rose 50 ...............Female Boarder...... R Catholic Church Co Dublin -- Widow - - 42
Brennan Kate 33 ...............Female Boarder........ R Catholic Church Co Dublin -- Widow - - 44
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby K4teB » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 am

Hi,

Yes Miss warner (Ellen or I think she was known as Connie) used to to ride a bicycle everywhere she was a tiny lady who yes was presbyterian, I remember grandad telling me about funerals that were not attended because of it! .. I met her a couple of times but only after she left the big house and moved into a care home ( I was about 13). If it jogs anyones memory she used to go into Dublin with my grandad as a child and fed the poor and homeless, she was very strictly religious and I think that is why the information was never passed on.

I have the census from 1911 which is unfortunately the last one available as the next two 1926 and 1936 probably hold some vital info ...

My Grandad was packed off at 16/17 years of age and never got to say goodbye to his grandfather (Alfed Charles Warner) which I know he regrets, he then joined the british military so then was not allowed to return home to southern Ireland and so did not meet his mother Delia Warner untill he was in his 40's ...

I should have some old photos of some of the family I can scan in later so that also might help ....

thanks for the replies!

btw who was your granny?

:)
K4teB

Postby jwdalk » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:44 pm

Hi, I remember Miss Warner very well, she was also a friend of my mother and she only lived around the corner from us. I remember her pushing her bike, she rarely seemed to ride it and she always had a few animals. I think just before she went into the home she had a German Shepherd, which was nearly as tall as she was at that stage! Bertie was an artist, I don't know whether professionally or as a hobby. I seem to remember that he was very fond of painting Coliemore Harbour and the island.
My granny was Ruth Espey (nee Blackmore) and, when married, lived on South Lotts Road. The Blackmore family home was on Crofton Avenue in Dun Laoghaire. There were very strong connections between the Blackmores, the Baileys ( some people here might remember Gilbert or Gilly Bailey, who used to put on a variety shows in Dun Laoghaire) and the Grays (who were boatbuilders). My mother was Janet Wilson.
I'm going to ask my sisters whether they can remember anything else about Miss Warner for you, they're a little older than I am and took more interest in local people than I did back then.
Good luck with your search!

PS These guys keep sending me emails, I never followed them up but they might be worth a shot
http://www.findmypast.ie
Maybe somebody here has had experience of them?
Last edited by jwdalk on Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby K4teB » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:56 pm

oh wow thanks ...

my mum (so berties great great niece I think) has a painting by Bertie on the wall in the dining room and its of collimore harbour! I think he painted it an awful lot but the paintings were never quite the same...

Im off round my nan and grandads tonight so I will hopefully get some more info out of him and ask him if he remembers your granny Ruth :)

thanks again

kate
K4teB

Postby jwdalk » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Ok, I remembered that one of mum' s sisters, coincidentally called Ruth as well, voluntered with Miss Warner in the Dublin City Mission. She is alive and living in Chester. I emailed her daughter for you and got the following response. I'll pm you Ali's email and if you want to contact Ruth through her please do. Maybe something might jog someone's memory.

Hi Johnny

Its lovely to hear from you, we're all fine here thanks, how are you?

I've just had a long chat with Mum and she has been enjoying remembering the old days! I've often heard her talk about Con and she remembers Tommy well. They did volunteer at the City Mission together, well remembered. She didn't know any more details about who his dad was but feel free to pass my email address to Kate in case she has any questions mum may be able to answer...let's hope she can unravel the mystery!

Ali
x
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby K4teB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:01 am

Hi,

thanks that's great I will get in touch :) btw Janet Wilson ... any relation to Catherine Wilson born 1876 who married Francis Brennen ? Catherine was known as Kate she was widowed at about 30 with 4 children .. she went to work for Alfred Warner as the house keeper after his wife Maud was institutionalised .. my Grandad thought she was his Granny Kate ...one of said children was Mary and she married one of Alfreds children Albert who got shot in WW1 and then had a limp and was known as 'Hoppy Warner' ... just a long shot? ...

thanks again

kate
K4teB

Postby jwdalk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:13 pm

K4teB wrote:Hi,

thanks that's great I will get in touch :) btw Janet Wilson ... any relation to Catherine Wilson born 1876 who married Francis Brennen ? Catherine was known as Kate she was widowed at about 30 with 4 children .. she went to work for Alfred Warner as the house keeper after his wife Maud was institutionalised .. my Grandad thought she was his Granny Kate ...one of said children was Mary and she married one of Alfreds children Albert who got shot in WW1 and then had a limp and was known as 'Hoppy Warner' ... just a long shot? ...

thanks again

kate

Hi Kate, no i think that that's a coincidence too far. My mother, Janet's maiden name was Espey. The Wilson name is from my father's side. One of my sisters has traced the family tree back few centuries and I don't think there's any Catherines in it.
jwdalk
Advanced Member

Postby K4teB » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:02 am

yes ... quite! haha ... was a bit of a stab in the dark! :)
K4teB

Return to GENEALOGY