Fathers Record in Carriglea Industrial School 1920's

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Fathers Record in Carriglea Industrial School 1920's

Postby Strum » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Hi folks, I got this email today and said I'd post it in the meantime while he re-registers....

Dear Archives. I am afraid I was not able to get into your site as it told me I was using an incorrect USER name. I am trying to find out if my late Father was ever in the above School during the 1920's. His name was Cornelius Gerard Mahony. He was born at The Catholic Seaman's Institute 4 Sir John Rogersons Quay Dublin in 1910.
His mother died around 1920 and I have no record of him between then and 1929 when he went to sea.
He may have been sent to an Industrial School, I have no record of this. He had 2 Aunts who lived in Mona low House, Cabinteely as well as Relations in 5 Patrick's St. Dun Laoghaire, which was Mahony's Boat Yard.
Any help in this search would be greatly appreciated and if you could send this e-mail to the proper office, it
would also be a great help.
Yours,
Gerard
Strum
Administrator

Re: Fathers Record in Carriglea Industrial School 1920's

Postby Sinead » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:22 am

The Flying Angel was strictly male, I don't think a birth would have taken place in it.
If the mother died an orphanage would have been more appropriate than an Industrial
School. Just reasoning things out.

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:56 am

His birth record is here
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22Cornelius%20Gerard%22~%20%2Bsurname%3AMahony~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1910-1920~&collection_id=1408347
So there will be a record in Werburgh St General Registrars Office which will clarify place of birth. I guess that you already have that
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am

This could be a very long shot...have you considered this family living in two rooms of 57 Patrick Street in the 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ide/95589/
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby janeybird » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:24 am

In the probably overlong post I put up in the history section a couple of days ago, I mentioned a family who lived on the road between the Clonkeen Road houses and Monaloe. Their name was Mahony, the daughter was Rose and the son was Gerard. Is there any connection I wonder? I can't help in any way regarding his father and Carriglea but just wondered if this is just a coincidence. And they had red hair!!
janeybird

Postby Rocker » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:31 am

Janeybird....never think a post can be too long. You have a marvellous memory and have given us all such a good read and sparked off memories we had almost forgotten. Keep posting anything you think of. It is so important to have records of all the everyday things that make living in the Borough so special.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to GENEALOGY