Byrne family, Smiths Villas, York Road

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Byrne family, Smiths Villas, York Road

Postby 12345 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:25 pm

Hello All

I was wondering would anyone know anything about a Byrne family that lived in Smiths Villas, York Road in the early 1970's? I believe there were two boys and their parents .. one son was named Jim or he was also known as Shay?

Thank you all kindly.

Re: Byrne family, Smiths Villas, York Road

Postby Snowhite » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:20 pm

12345 wrote:Hello All

I was wondering would anyone know anything about a Byrne family that lived in Smiths Villas, York Road in the early 1970's? I believe there were two boys and their parents .. one son was named Jim or he was also known as Shay?

Thank you all kindly.

Sputnik would know for sure, if he's looking in he'll let you know, he comes from down that way. ;) My mother's family were Byrnes, they lived around the corner from Smiths Villas in Cumberland St.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby 12345 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi Snowhite

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully Sputnik will be able to help. Was your Mother related to the Byrnes living in Smiths Villas by any chance? Al I know is one of them was named Jim (or Shay) Byrne and he lived with his parents .... would have been there definately in 1972 and about 27 ish...

Thanks !

Postby Snowhite » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:44 pm

Not sure about that 12345, there were 13 in my Mam's family and she did have a brother who lived on York Rd, but they moved to Liverpool in the late 60's early 70's as far as I can remember, his name was Gerard (GER) Byrne and I think he had 6 children, I know Ger and his sons all worked on the Dock's in Liverpool. I reckon Sputnik will be your best bet for info as he came from Smiths Villas if my memory is correct.

Snowy. ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby 12345 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:01 pm

Snowhite wrote:Not sure about that 12345, there were 13 in my Mam's family and she did have a brother who lived on York Rd, but they moved to Liverpool in the late 60's early 70's as far as I can remember, his name was Gerard (GER) Byrne and I think he had 6 children, I know Ger and his sons all worked on the Dock's in Liverpool. I reckon Sputnik will be your best bet for info as he came from Smiths Villas if my memory is correct.

Snowy. ;)

Thanks so much Snowwhite :) I may have the information about there only being two children incorrect, person who told me the info was quite sketchy about it .... I was told one of them the man named Jim Byrne (aka Shay) was a taxi driver ? it may have even been a part-time job ..... I was told they definately lived at smiths villas (no idea of number) on York Road. I'm just starting out on the research so I don't have any other information unfortunately. Thanks again.

Postby Navanman » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 pm

I used live down near there and the only Shay I can remember on Smyths Villas is Shay Power????

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby 12345 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Thank you Navanman

How old would Shay Power have been .... I have so little information I have to try and clutch at everything !

Did you know any Jim Byrnes by any chance?... around 1972, he would have been about 26ish?

Postby Harjoe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:48 pm

Byrnes who lived in the second terrace of Smyths Villas one the right hand side up in the corner beside Turners and Deegan's and Durring's were Shay and Brendan who had a office furniture company and three sisters an older one Bernie and twins Gladys and Cathrine some names may be wrong .
Shay lives in Ballybrack not sure if there are Byrnes still in family home but Gladys lives in Dun Laoghaire met her at a funeral last year in ST Micheal's Church.
I cant remember any other Byrnes in Smyths Villas 1950s /60s/70s there was Byrnes on Cumberland St ,Mrs Byrne worked in the Top Hat .
Hope this helps
Last edited by Harjoe on Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby 12345 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Harjoe wrote:Byrnes who lived in the second terrace of Smyths Villas one the right hand side up in the corner beside Turners and Deegan's and Durring's were Shay and Brendan who had a office furniture company and three sisters an older one Bernie and twins Gladys and Marie some names may be wrong .
Shay lives in Ballybrack not sure if there are Byrnes still in family home but Gladys live in Dun Laoghaire met her at a funeral last year in ST Micheal's Church.
I cant remember any other Byrnes in Smyths Villas 1950s /60s/70s there was Byrnes on Cumberland St ,Mrs Byrne work in the Top Hat .
Hope this helps

Hello and thank you so much Harjoe - this is great...

They might be the Byrnes I am looking for as I was told they were definately living in Smyths Villas York Road... Would Shay have been in his mid/late 20's circa 1972 would you know? I was told that everyone called him Shay but his name was actually Jim .. so suppose it could have been James Seamus ... On doing family history .. names always seem to be mixed up!

Postby bugrock » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:31 am

Sorry for posting here, Strum, but is there anything wrong with the site? It's all messed up and in a different format, not chronological, but showing posts all over the place. Sorry again for poaching this topic, but I had to find one that was current.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Dancer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 am

bugrock wrote:Sorry for posting here, Strum, but is there anything wrong with the site? It's all messed up and in a different format, not chronological, but showing posts all over the place. Sorry again for poaching this topic, but I had to find one that was current.

BUGS!! put down the whiskey and drink some water .......................now!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby bugrock » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:43 am

Problem soved. It was just a lack of affection! And listening to Sleepy la Beef, and a few whines and a faulty MOBO.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Sputnik » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 am

HI 12345 and welcome to the site.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your request but I was locked out due to an update of computers. (Thanks Strum for the new password).
In the 1960's/1970's there were three Byrne families in Smyths Villas. No's 14 (backing on to Brocks Lane), 34 (Big Lizzie) and (I think) 50.
Harjoe was spot on with the Byrnes that you are looking for.
The Byrnes backed on to our house.
I can't say I remember Shay, but the name is very familiar.
There was a daughter Catherine. She was very active in the Labour Party.
I also recall that one of the boys was a folk singer/musician and played sometimes at the Purty Kitchen. Can’t recall his first name, but it wasn’t Shay.
I don’t think the family are still in Smyths Villas.

Hope this helps.

Sputnik
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby 12345 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:06 am

Sputnik wrote:HI 12345 and welcome to the site.
Sorry for the delay in responding to your request but I was locked out due to an update of computers. (Thanks Strum for the new password).
In the 1960's/1970's there were three Byrne families in Smyths Villas. No's 14 (backing on to Brocks Lane), 34 (Big Lizzie) and (I think) 50.
Harjoe was spot on with the Byrnes that you are looking for.
The Byrnes backed on to our house.
I can't say I remember Shay, but the name is very familiar.
There was a daughter Catherine. She was very active in the Labour Party.
I also recall that one of the boys was a folk singer/musician and played sometimes at the Purty Kitchen. Can’t recall his first name, but it wasn’t Shay.
I don’t think the family are still in Smyths Villas.

Hope this helps.

Sputnik

Hi Sputnik - thank you for the information and the welcome to the site :)
Do you recall a Jim Byrne at all - the name Shay I think was a nickname and may be incorrect ..I thought it might have been as maybe his father might have been named Seamus or something like that... I was told he might have been a taxi driver but that might have been a part-time job ...

Thank so so much for all of your help - what a gem of a site.

Postby Harjoe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi Sputnik your right but I would not have thought of the Byrnes because I would have said that was Brocks Lane which my house backed on to that Byrnes had boys like John,rip, Benny, Ger rip,,Jemboy rip, and the girls Collette ,Marie ,Betty,
The Byrnes looked after the slaghterhouse on Brocks Lane.
I played football with John & Benny real Dun Laoghaire families on Brocks Lane .
Lennons, Byrnes, McDonalds, Brennans , Rogersons, Lesters and not forgeting Lawlors on the corner where we played marbles in their back garden they were the only one on Brocks Lane with a garden because their house was part of York Road.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby 12345 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:28 am

Harjoe wrote:Hi Sputnik your right but I would not have thought of the Byrnes because I would have said that was Brocks Lane which my house backed on to that Byrnes had boys like John,rip, Benny, Ger rip,,Jemboy rip, and the girls Collette ,Marie ,Betty,
The Byrnes looked after the slaghterhouse on Brocks Lane.
I played football with John & Benny real Dun Laoghaire families on Brocks Lane .
Lennons, Byrnes, McDonalds, Brennans , Rogersons, Lesters and not forgeting Lawlors on the corner where we played marbles in their back garden they were the only one on Brocks Lane with a garden because their house was part of York Road.

Hi Harjoe

Was 'Jemboy' his name - could he have been called Jim by any chance? would he have been in his mid twenties in early 1970's?

Wow - lots of Byrnes :)

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:08 pm

You better believe it...there are so many Byrne families and not all related. In Blackrock we had so many that they were known by their beverages...there was "cuppa tae Byrne" and "glass o' porter Byrne"...that is just two I remember!!. Nowadays, people do not go in for adding handles to a name.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby 12345 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Rocker wrote:You better believe it...there are so many Byrne families and not all related. In Blackrock we had so many that they were known by their beverages...there was "cuppa tae Byrne" and "glass o' porter Byrne"...that is just two I remember!!. Nowadays, people do not go in for adding handles to a name.

LOL ! oh dear so it might be extremely difficult for me to locate Jim Byrne from 1970s Smyths Villas then ? I'm wondering where I should look next.

Does anyone know when Smyths Villas was there from?

Postby Holla » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:34 pm

Rocker wrote:You better believe it...there are so many Byrne families and not all related. In Blackrock we had so many that they were known by their beverages...there was "cuppa tae Byrne" and "glass o' porter Byrne"...that is just two I remember!!. Nowadays, people do not go in for adding handles to a name.

Funny Rocker :D I would rather the name cuppa tea or glass o porter than" Lash the cat Kenny'" thats true a man in the town went by that name.
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Harjoe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:21 pm

As everyone knows nicknames were all the rage in the 1940s and 50s as well as lash the cat there was red eye Lawlor,Blower cannon Yambo Bennet, Stockix Kennedy, Sawscer Mullen, Dont Be Cryan, Josie Durnin, Stickie Connor, Scoop Johnston, Bug Devitt Weeney Murrey, Siccers Cunningham, Poddler Medley, Not forgetting the Killer Cromie, etc, etc
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sputnik » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:34 am

Hi 12345

Smyths Villas was built in the early 1930's.
The Byrne who was the folk-singer was Pat Byrne.
I'll ask my sister if she knew of Jim/Shay Byrne.

Harjoe
You mean Tomboy Byrne, not Jemboy.

It's true about there being so many Byrnes around. Both my Grandmother and Step-Grandmother were Byrnes from Blackrock. Sorry, Rocker, I don't know what there beverages were.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby Harjoe » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Your right Sputnik Tomboy a gentleman ,in fact all the Byrne family were lovley like all the people on Brocks Lane
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby 12345 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:55 pm

Sputnik wrote:Hi 12345

Smyths Villas was built in the early 1930's.
The Byrne who was the folk-singer was Pat Byrne.
I'll ask my sister if she knew of Jim/Shay Byrne.

Thank you Sputnik - appreciate that.

I seem to remember being told that jim/shay byrne's parents were from Dun Laoghaoire and their home was Smyths Villas .... I was then told that he might have moved down the south east of Ireland and is a DJ for a local radio station somewhere ? That could be totally wrong though ...

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:01 pm

12345,Sputnik and Harjoe are bang on. I knew Shay and as long as I knew him it was always Shay and he was/is a taxi driver.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby 12345 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:25 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:12345,Sputnik and Harjoe are bang on. I knew Shay and as long as I knew him it was always Shay and he was/is a taxi driver.

Oh Fantastic ! Thank you Denis Cromie :) I was getting all confused with all these 'Byrnes' !

So would he have been in his mid twenties ish around the early 1970's living in Smyths Villas? Do you know if he's still around Dun Laoghaire please?

Thanks again :)

Next

Return to GENEALOGY