Births, Deaths, Marriages and Anniversaries

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Births, Deaths, Marriages and Anniversaries

Postby keeper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:53 pm

Yes Skins, Willie was a junior international. I played with him when he came to Dalkey United as player manager. He played a big part in coaching a young lad by the name of Paul McGrath !!! Willie played nearly all of his career with T.E.K
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I think Willie lives in the Dalkey area. When he played for St. Joseph's Boys he was a centre forward and in my view that was his best position. He is built like a tank and had a fierce shot, he use to remind me of Gerdi Muller the great German centre forward. Somewhere down the line he was converted into a full back and again I think that was a huge mistake. He could have been a full international. Willie was reared by his Dad's sister,who was married to Bob Smith,(his Mum died when he was very young) which wasn't unique in the area. The Smith's already had, at least,3 other children and Willie along with his slightly older sister was brought up by them. And that was no small feat in the houses that exist in Mary Street. The Smiths were that type of people like a lot of others in the area.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby skins » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:02 pm

Yes, and apart from his football ability he was a genuinely nice guy. Thanks for the update Keeper/Denis.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY