Births, Deaths, Marriages and Anniversaries

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Births, Deaths, Marriages and Anniversaries

Postby Jemser » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 am

R.I.P. Glen Campbell, a really great musician and singer.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Toss » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Sad to hear the news that Jimmy Magee has left us, I cannot speak highky enough of the man. He was an ultimate professional in his work and and a total gentleman in his life. I have a few stories and instances of Jimmy at his best, but the one that stands out for me is when Liam Brady was playing for West Ham and found out he would not be going to the World Cup. West ham were playing Everton in Liverpool and staying in the Moat House Hotel, where I was staying with about 50 Irish Everton fans. I was heading down for dinner on the Friday night and got in the lift with four other fans, as we were going down ... Jimmy and Liam Brady got in at the third floor. Needless to say the lads got a bit excited and started talking to Liam who was standing head down and somewhat unhappy. Jimmy told me Liam had just got some bad news re Ireland and asked could we respect his privacy. This was not an issue and Jimmy asked me to make sure the other fans around knew the situation. When we got out of the lift, Liam headed straight to the restaurant and Jimmy came with us to the bar ..... he was amazing as he kept the focus off Liam and enteratined us for about 20 minutes before going in to dinner with Liam.

That was Jimmy, always part of the people and always knowing how to look after those around him. Boxing was his love, but all sports were part of his life and he was our mastermind champion when it came to sports trivia.

Rest in peace Jimmy, heaven is all the more for your arrival.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Yeah Jimmy is a big loss to Irish sport. My memory of Jimmy was on the late late show one night he recounted an experience he had in Stuggart in 1988. Ireland were playing in the European Championship and he said that he saw 2 Irish lads spread eagled across a bench in the town square looking the worst for wear and one of them spotted him and said Hey Jimmy you're supposed to know everything, well where's our bleedin hotel. He told the story with great humour, he'll be sadly missed.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Micheál » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:47 pm

My favourite . . . .

Jimmy is sat among the commentators at some major soccer final - World Cup I think.

Along comes Pele and all the guys from the various stations were jostling to be in with a chance of a shake hands or share a few words wth the greatest name in football.

As he neared Jimmy, our Mr Magee turns to a colleague and whispers, if this guys hangs around longer than he should, come and interrupt us.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Harjoe » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:47 pm

My favourite memory of Jimmy was the night in the Arcadia Ballroom in Bray in 1968/69 when he interviewed George Best on stage, there were 1000 to 1500 fans all wanting to see George who had been on the Late Late show earlier that night and Jimmy the true professional was M C , imagine that many fans paid to see George at a dance there was a band for the rest of the night but the attraction was Best who had a few jars on him but Jimmy carried on regardless and spent 30-45 Minutes interviewing George ,I was back stage that night and I used to tell Jimmy about the night whenever I met him at the Aviva stadium over the last few years and we had a laugh about it always a true gent ,he will be missed may he rest in peace
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:38 am

I had the privilege of working with Jimmy on many occasions, his preparation and research before an event was mind boggling and along with his incredible memory he made even the most lacklustre event exciting ! He was great company and I never heard him say a bad word about anyone, sleep well Jimmy and rest in peace.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY