Was your granny ever in jail?

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Was your granny ever in jail?

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Gulliver,

Thanks for that link. Of course some disatant relatives on this too. A long number of years ago this Australian looked up a distant cousin and wanted to find out all about the family. Sure we knew nothing, he hadn't a clue either about how his relative came to Australia. We always guessed at transportation but I hoped he had done something gruesome no! he just stole a sheep.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:20 pm

There is another great link in the National Archives which is a "general purpose" link. It is http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/.
If you are researching a person, just try popping his name in there and see what you might find. If he died in unusual circumstances and there was an inquest he may be there. If he left a will.... or a wide range of other things. I found my kid brother who died suddenly a few weeks after I was born - he died suddenly of appendicitus - and his file was found in that search.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Gulliver,

Thanks for all these wonderful links. I will be looking at them all night.
That was a terrible tragedy for your family. Poor chap.R.I.P.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 pm

Life can be cruel. I also had a brother who died a year before I was born and strangely it was appendicitis that killed him also.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:05 am

I think I have said before that the women in Blackrock were vaccinated with a gramaphone needle, WELL, this topic has us all chatting. Since telling various friends about the prison records my phone is ringing off the wall with people telling me their relatives were in prison too.Blackrock must have been a hot bed of lawlessness. Profane language seems to be the biggie as is drunk and disorderly. We have decided to go to Kilmainham to do the tour and see just what the conditions were like. Imagine the 1870's conditions- they must have been walking with fleas and lice and so weak from lack of food. The frightening items which caught my attention were the people who died at Spike Island while awaiting deportation. I always thought they went immediatly, never thought of them being sent to Spike Island!! How little we really know of history.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 am

Was my Granny ever in Jail ??????
after a lot of research the answer -No.
we were a boring honest lot .
Damn cant write a story .
however there was one guy in the family waaaaaaaaaaaay back.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 am

Grammer,

If i can ever get to the root of all our stories there will be more than one book.I have found one in prison for deserting the army but they don't say that he had already been to India and South Africa and God knows where else and must have dreaded the thoughts of going to the Boer War.Another way back was dressed in a warlike manner and armed as a threat to her Majesty. One particular defiant one must always have given his address as the Boro because it is recorded as The Bourragh the poor gaoelers probably didn't know where he meant. Yet another disobeyed his commanding officer and left his Barque in the Harbour, having googled the barque I found that a number of years later it went down with all hands!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby spudseamus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:53 am

We always guessed at transportation but I hoped he had done something gruesome no! he just stole a sheep.

AHHH he was tryin' to pull the wool over their eyes!!!
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby davy57 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:59 am

Thanks for the link. Actually I did find a few ancestors! One GGUncle and one GGGUncle! Drunkenness (48 hours detention) and stealing lead from Dun Laoghaire Harbour! (30 days detention) respectively.

Other possible anscestors from Bray, but more research needed.

I paid for 100 credits to view the images in findmypast.ie, but a bit of advice, unless to really have to know your anscestors physical description, then the info you get on familysearch is the same info on findmypast.ie, so keep your coins in your pockets!

In saying that, was such fun doing the searching!!!
davy57

Postby Rocker » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks for that tip. I was thinking of buying credits but, we had so many inside I would have to buy a lot more than 100. It is the best fun myself and loads of friends have had for ages. We are phoning each other up comparing stories. There must have ben a few shamozzles in the town because on certain dates lots of friends were in together for assaulting a police office. I think I will get the newspaper subscription to check these dates!!Have we no shame??
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby davy57 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:09 pm

I subscribed to the Irish Times archives and http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/ last Thursday. Spent until then until last night trolling through every page!! I found quite a few articles re my ancestors, but you really have to be extremely patient, going through every year was painstaking slow, but I got there!

I posted my findings in the 'Deansgrange Cemetery" thread, as Sinead and Gullivar have been kindly helping me out there :)

With regard to findmypast.ie I paid 9.90 Euros (approx $15.50 Australian). To me personally it was a waste of money, but don't let me put you off! Out of all my ancestors who were "detained".......cough.............the only differences to what you get on familysearch were physical descriptions, and looking at the vast majority of "felons", they were all 5ft 3 to 5ft 7, brown hair and brown/blue eyes!

Just depends if that's important to you ;)
davy57

Postby Rocker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:34 am

I'm slightly off topic here. But, your mention of the height remind me that we always assumed my paternal grandfather was tall. All his children were over six foot. When I got his WW1 discharge papers I found out he was only 5ft 4 inches - such a disappointment. So if that is what the "detained" measure up to I won't bother getting more info about the short previous generations.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:42 pm

I found a relation on this site :oops: I know they came from kingstown the address given is elliot place @1908 any idea where this was
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:44 am

Holla wrote:I found a relation on this site :oops: I know they came from kingstown the address given is elliot place @1908 any idea where this was

There was an Elliot Place in the area of Gardiner St/Amiens St in the city. There is no mention of an Elliot Place in either The Historical Street Directory of Kingstown or in The Book of Dun Laoghaire, both of which books list old names for local addresses.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Holla » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:56 am

There was an Elliot Place in the area of Gardiner St/Amiens St in the city. There is no mention of an Elliot Place in either The Historical Street Directory of Kingstown or in The Book of Dun Laoghaire, both of which books list old names for local addresses.[/quote]

Thank you for that Gulliver , I should have said number 10, can I be so bold as to ask could this be a private residence,lodging house or a place of refuge
Holla

Postby Gulliver » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Holla

The only place I have found Elliot Place listed is in the church records of births, marriages and deaths |(hatches, matches and dispatches) on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie, where there are 38 listings over the period 1818-1902. It is noticable that in 5 of the 6 marriages listed, the address of the bride is the same as that of the groom, which leads me to suspect that it might be an area frequented by sailors, or other people who use temporary refuge. Indeed,one of the grooms is listed as a mariner. Others have no occupation listed. There are such marriages listed for No 9 (2) and also for no 11 and 12 but none for no 10

Elliot Place is not listed in the 1911 or 1901 census in either Dublin or Kingstown.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Holla » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:36 pm

Gulliver wrote:Holla

The only place I have found Elliot Place listed is in the church records of births, marriages and deaths |(hatches, matches and dispatches) on http://www.irishgenealogy.ie, where there are 38 listings over the period 1818-1902. It is noticable that in 5 of the 6 marriages listed, the address of the bride is the same as that of the groom, which leads me to suspect that it might be an area frequented by sailors, or other people who use temporary refuge. Indeed,one of the grooms is listed as a mariner. Others have no occupation listed. There are such marriages listed for No 9 (2) and also for no 11 and 12 but none for no 10

Thanks again Gulliver that would add up the charge was drunk and disy yes disy :D and the person was a sailor :)
Holla

Postby Gulliver » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm

Holla

Elliot Place is listed on the 1908 map (see below - the red + at the centre). The street has entirely disappeared and is now beneath a block of corporation apartments.
The streets have been renamed. It is therefore surprising that it does not appear in the 1901 or 1911 census. I suspect that census enumerators might not have been welcome there!
Mabbot St is now James Joyce St, but this is a recent renaming. In the 1960s when I did some deliveries in the area, it was called Corporation St (and was a virtual no-go area for police)
Lower Tyrone St is now Railway St

Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Derrindaffderg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:58 pm

Is there anywhere online where you can search the prison records for free? I have found the two records from 1922 I'm after (I think) on findmypast.ie but I dont really want to go to the expense of taking out a six month subscription.

Anyone?
Derrindaffderg

Postby Rocker » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:31 pm

D.D

You can get the basic details on the Mormons site http://www.familysearch.org but if you want the actual record you have to pay.

Here is the link into the historical records page and you just click on Irish prison records and follow on from there
https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... Id=1927084
When you get into the name say Connor the names come up feint blue
https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... id=2043780
click on the blue prisoner's name and you get more details
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMSM-PTK
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Derrindaffderg » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:38 pm

Joseph Hudson, "Ireland, Prison Registers, 1790-1924"
Name: Joseph Hudson
Also Known As Name:
Role of Individual: Prisoner
Event Type: Prison
Event Date: 1922
Event Place: Mountjoy, Dublin, Ireland
Residence Place: 3 Carrolls Ctgs Glasthule
Birth Year (Estimated):
Prison: Mountjoy
Offense:
Victim's Name:
Victim's Address:
Where Convicted:
Item Number: 2
Book Number: 1/54/1
County: Dublin
GS Film number: 2357054
Digital Folder Number: 004492735
Image Number: 00337
Sources

Cheers Rocker. I got the above from your directions. They relate to Sonny Hudson's Dad Joe, who was a Republican POW at the time of Sonny's death. He was released to attend the inquest. Do you know if you pay the fee can you find out any more info such as the "offence" ?
Derrindaffderg

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:04 pm

I've seen the record on Find my Past. It gives no further details e.g. age, appearance, etc. or the offence

Gull
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:31 am

You may have answered your own question Darrin. Being Republican was enough to be jailed. My Grandfather was jailed by his brother for his own safety in those times. I can't remember exactly but 1923 or 4 for 13 months.
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:25 am

Me auntie was in Kilmainham when she was 15. Next to the woman who painted the Virgin Mary on the wall. Accused of being in league with the wrong side.
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Derrindaffderg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 am

Gulliver wrote:I've seen the record on Find my Past. It gives no further details e.g. age, appearance, etc. or the offence

Gull

Cheers Gulliver, I kinda suspected that. Fair play for confirming thumleft . - I wonder if I contacted Mountjoy directly do they allow research on old records? I'd like to follow this up and see how long he spent in Mountjoy and what his "offence" was, if any.

Thanks Srum & Bugrock thumleft
Derrindaffderg

PreviousNext

Return to GENEALOGY