Was your granny ever in jail?

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Was your granny ever in jail?

Postby Gulliver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:47 pm

From last night 3,127,594 prison records of inmates of the various Irish prisons for the period 1790-1924 have been put online on http://www.familysearch.org and are available free of charge. More detailed versions including photocopies of the original records are available on other websites, but you have to pay for these.

In that period, jail was a much more widely used sanction, and there were many more jails in the country, including up to 10 jails in Dublin for men and 4 for women.... so it's not unusual to find an ancestor there.

Familysearch is a website owned by the Mormons (Church of Latter-Day Saints). It holds massive databases of births, marriages, deaths, and other life events

Go to http://www.familysearch.org, Click on Great Britain & Ireland, and find the appropriate datasbase
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Was your granny ever in jail?

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:39 pm

Gulliver,

Thank for this great info. I had been looking them up on find my past. Horror of horrors I tumbled over one relative in Wicklow jail in 1846. Then did a bit of research on Wicklow Jail it was a hell hole they really gave the prisoners a hard time. I cannot think what it must have been like during those famine years, but he survived.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 pm

And Today I found my Grand-Uncle Tom aged 30 and he is in Tullamore Jail for police obstruction in 1887. He was from Tang, a tiny village in Co. Westmeath Separate websites googled show (a) there were Land League protests in Tang in that year and (b) a description of conditions in Tullamore jail in that year mentions a prisoner from Tang is there "making sacks". Somewhere, I have an old photo of Grand-uncle Tom, but his prison record was never mentioned in my family. I hope they were proud of him, as I am now.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:00 am

Thanks for the link Gulliver

I hope that I dont find out that one of my g/g/g/grans was a blackbeard or a hoochmaker:D :D :D :D :D
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:56 am

Great title for a song that! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Sweet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:38 pm

If she wasn't, she should have been.
Sweet

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:56 pm

Strum » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:56 am

Great title for a song that

:D :D :D
================
Sweet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:38 pm

If she wasn't, she should have been

ahhh go on tell us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sweet » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:59 pm

Ah now, lads, I had two grannies, an' some secrets you take to the grave. Don't know why they weren't both in Mountjoy, tho. :?
Sweet

Postby Navanman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 am

Ah! Go on Sweet - spill the beans.

We won't tell

Would love a bit of gossip

And sure if you don't tell us the information will be gone forever.

Anyway if you can't tell your friends who can you tell?
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Sweet » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 am

Well, Navanman, it was like this............. :twisted:
Sweet

Postby Navanman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:15 am

Teaser!!!!!
Navanman

Postby Sweet » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:28 am

Actually, one of them was deffo in jail, but that's cos she came to get me out, but, .... That's another story. ;)
Sweet

Postby Navanman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:43 am

OMG - Keep Going

Wait till I tell you what my Granny did - she was sitting in .........

Sorry have to go as there is a policeman at the door looking for her.
Navanman

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:53 pm

Ah yiz are hilarious. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:49 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:56 pm

Just took a look at a few folk from Dun Laoghaire (Kingstown) who spent time inside

There was William Leslie of Patrick St who was caught for Highway Robbery in 1894 in Wicklow and for Assault & Robbery in 1896 in Kilkenny, and again in the same year in the same town for Highway Robbery

Then there was Daniel Kenny, born in Carlow but living in Kingstown. In 1894 he was caught in Kilkenny for assault and robbery on Thomas Walsh. He also graduated to highway robbery in Kilkenny 1n 1894.

There was Essie Quinn, banged up in Wicklow for indecent behaviour

And Catherine Brennan who got 6 separate convictions in Naas for drink-related offences over the years 1860-62

Just a few local residents who caught my eye from a long list
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:43 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
No matter whenever theres a chance of getting their name in the papers (or in this case prison records)
theres always gonna be a few D/L-ites. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Neither granny was ever in Gaol, maybe one of them should have been........ My granny's
housekeeper did get a sentence, does that count?

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 am

well i dont know about jail!1 but she often said "I'll swing for ya"!!!!! :shock:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:06 am

Dun Laoghaire/Kingstown had its own prison from 1825-35 and the records of that prison are not included in the online site.
5,231 prisoners passed through it in those years
3,519 of those related to theft, and this did not include some further who were charged with agriculture-related thefts (presumably including stealing of crops for food)
The jail was in fact the hulk of a ship, The Essex
The Essex was an American fighting ship launched 1799, which saw service in the British-American war of 1812-14 until it was damaged and captured in Valparaiso in 1814, with huge loss of life.
Eleven years later, the hulk of the Essex was brought into Kingstown and de-masted for use as a place of convict detention.
It was decommissioned in 1836 and the convicts were transferred to onshore jails
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 am

did they fire it or tow it away?
spudseamus

Postby Rocker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Thank heavens the DunLaoghaire/Kingstown jail records are not on line. My ancestors would surely be on that. Now that I have done a lot of family research, the abject poverty of the ordinary folk is what really gets to me. I have found a relative put into Wicklow jail in 1846 for larcenary. He was committed on St Stephen's day that year. I cried salt tears when i though of the dire poverty that must have driven him to steal some food for his large family for Christmas. Looking into the records there was a 12 year old urchin put into Kilmainham for stealing a cap!! Umpteen women in Grangegorman for use of profane language! These records are a glimpse into the hardship, poverty, uneducated state and hopelessness of the general masses. We are so lucky to be living in these times.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:56 pm

There are other online records to show how justice was delivered - these are the transportation records .... records of people who were transported to Australia or even Van Diemans land (Tasmania). These were among the first records ever put online, and this was done as a present from the Irish government to the Australian Government (in the latter days of Charlie Haugheys reign). They are not always easy to access - it appears that on some sites, these records are strangely intermingled with historical records from the Taoiseach's office regarding women's rights.
I was able to look at a sample case of a person having the same name as myself who was transported to Oz with wife and family in 1836. His crime - "stealing a ladies handkerchief"

This link will bring you to a limited search facility on the transportation records

http://findingaids.nationalarchives.ie/

If you are Australian of Irish origin, you might find your Great-Granny there!!!!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:56 pm

There are other online records to show how justice was delivered - these are the transportation records .... records of people who were transported to Australia or even Van Diemans land (Tasmania). These were among the first records ever put online, and this was done as a present from the Irish government to the Australian Government (in the latter days of Charlie Haugheys reign). They are not always easy to access - it appears that on some sites, these records are strangely intermingled with historical records from the Taoiseach's office regarding women's rights.
I was able to look at a sample case of a person having the same name as myself who was transported to Oz with wife and family in 1836. His crime - "stealing a ladies handkerchief"

This link will bring you to a limited search facility on the transportation records

http://findingaids.nationalarchives.ie/

If you are Australian of Irish origin, you might find your Great-Granny there!!!!
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Great links Gulliver.
:cry: :cry: :cry:
did'nt find any possibl relations.But :D :D Maybe just one could be a possibility, long shot tho' cos I think everone in that county had the same surname :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Next

Return to GENEALOGY