Was your granny ever in jail?

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Was your granny ever in jail?

Postby Gulliver » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:59 am

Derrindaffderg wrote:Joseph Hudson, "Ireland, Prison Registers, 1790-1924"
Name: Joseph Hudson
?[/i]

Find My Past also shows a Joseph Hudson in Sligo Jail in the same year, 1922. He was shown as aged 46 in 1922. The 1911 census shows a number of people named Joseph Hudson, but none close to the Sligo age other than the Joseph Hudson from Kingstown who, based on the census age would have been 43 or 44 in 1922.
The Sligo record only shows name and age - no further details. Could he have been transferred there? The jails were very full at the time.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Derrindaffderg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:13 pm

It's very likely. By sheer coincidence I was reading a BMH 1913-1921 statement today and the author talks about getting shifted around four or five jails in the space of a couple of months. If it is Sonny's Dad Joe Snr, that's a nice little nugget of info you found there Gulliver.
Derrindaffderg

Postby Rocker » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 pm

DD

you have started me looking at those prison records again......God there was a lot of petty crime in Kingstown during that time. Most of my gang were in for drinking but, there are some very interesting cases...I find the social inequality so interesting and the sadness of the downtrodden..... :(
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Derrindaffderg » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:57 am

I've been in touch with the Garda museum & the Prison service, neither have material relating to political prisoners from the 1922 period. They have both directed me to the National Archives. I know the Archives can't do a search for you, but I wonder do they hold records from Mountjoy in 1922? The search continues.

Waiting to hear back from the Coroner's Office regarding accessing the file on an inquest held in 1922. Again, I dont know if this information is available to the public. The search goes on.
Derrindaffderg

Postby Rocker » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 pm

You are so thorough. I have to say that i found the staff in the National Archives so so good. I went in there the first time as a greenhorn not really knowing what I wanted or how to start a search. They treated me with the utmost patience and steered me in all the right directions. Their knowledge and enthusiasm was wonderful. Close second the staff in the National Library again held my hand for years. Staff in Pearse Street Library Wow...once you tell any of them what you are seeking they really know their archives and work with you. We are blessed with our archive and library workers.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Don't forget that the Genealogical Society in Dun Laoghaire (Carlisle pier) has very knowledgable guys/gals there every Wednesday (10.00-4pm) and Saturday afternoons, and has full access to Find my Past, Ancestry, Irish Newspaper Archives and many other sources
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:45 pm

No info from me, just wanted to say that I laugh every time I see the title of this Topic. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:28 am

Rocker wrote:D.D

You can get the basic details on the Mormons site http://www.familysearch.org but if you want the actual record you have to pay.

Here is the link into the historical records page and you just click on Irish prison records and follow on from there
https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... Id=1927084
When you get into the name say Connor the names come up feint blue
https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... id=2043780
click on the blue prisoner's name and you get more details
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMSM-PTK

forgot to post -when I clicked on the links Rocker
everyone inMayo seemed to have the same surname and the were all in jail :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY