Avondale Cottages

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Avondale Cottages

Postby Rocker » Tue May 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Every few months I go back to family research and various items get to me !!. My Great grand father was living in Avondale Cottages in 1901 and 1911. I see from old maps that the cottages were near where the Noggin InN is now. As I didn't start doing the family tree till most of the older generation of my maternal family were deceased I have no great history of the family. My mother always said her grandfather was a carriage man to a big house. But my question where was the big house? was there an Avondale House? I cant find one on the old maps. He was in the area in 1875, his marriage cert.
He described himself as a labourer on the census and on a marriage cert he is described as working on the railways.
Does anyone have any photos of these cottages or any history of the area or occupants, were the cottages attached to any big house or built for any particular occupation?
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Avondale Cottages

Postby Gulliver » Tue May 08, 2012 4:10 pm

There was (and still is) Avondale House in Co. Wicklow - former home of Charles Stewart Parnell!!!!

You have seen the words Avondale and Woodpark on the spot where the Noggin Inn (now called the Sally Noggin Inn) now stands. Have you interpreted that as referring to Avondale cottages????? It seems to me to refer to a house called Avondale, as that is the way named houses are marked whereas an address like Avondale cottages would be marked along the road. Also there is an avenue and gatelodge serving these two houses indicating that they were significant houses. They are marked identically on the 25" map (about 1901) and the 6" map (about 1850)

Look at the 1901 map here
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,724015,726763,7,9
Last edited by Gulliver on Tue May 08, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Tue May 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Gulliver just browsing an old map my self
I always assumed Avondale House was up beside Woodpark
Just looking now I can find no mention of it-I wonder would it have been over the Barnhill Road area -
are'nt there estates over that side called Avondale Road Pk etc.?????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Tue May 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Note that I edited my post above just as you were posting, Rocker
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Tue May 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Thank you Gulliver,

Now I get it. I thought the long narrow building/buildings was actually the row of cottages and I was looking for a larger house elsewhere, ( standing in its own field). This was probably the Avondale House and the cottages were probably further along the road. When I was a tiny child a great uncle pointed to newer houses on the opposite side of the road where Thomastown cottages? is now and said he lived there though he was in his late eighties then and I though he was mistaken!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby farmboy » Tue May 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Funny you should mention Avondale Rocker. My father,s family lived in Carrolls Cottages in 1911, he,s not listed in the Census as he wasnt born till November that year and the Census was carried out earlier than that. The cottages were down near Harolds school, I dont know what year they were demolished. The family later lived in Honeypark. The father always maintained he lived in Avondale and said there were 6 cottages. Perhaps sometime between Carroll,s cottages and Honeypark they did live there, maybe we,ll never know but I recall him mentioning the names of the other people who lived in Avondale. We were only young boys when he was telling us these things and sadly wouldnt have paid much attention to him. One name for some reason stuck with me, someone called "Kite" Moore, dont know why, maybe because its so unusual. He,s gone almost 20 years now and its only through the internet that I could trace Carroll,s Cottages but why would he say he came from Avondale? Would love to know the answer to that.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue May 08, 2012 8:46 pm

The father always maintained he lived in Avondale and said there were 6 cottages

your right there farmboy
Im sure my grandmother said more or less the same =
That name rings a bell "kite" or Kit Moore-must ask my sis ---
white washed thatched cottages -
I found a photograph a couple of years ago on the net -supposedly old Sallynoggin cottages
I wonder are they them??? ----I have seen that photo again since -on a postcard in one of the markets-

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Tue May 08, 2012 10:40 pm

There was a row of cottages opposite The Noggin Inn what were they called? In the past 40 years they were demolished and there is a small square of houses there.

Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby grammer » Tue May 08, 2012 11:27 pm

Hi Sinead
as far as I can remember they were just called Thomastown cottages
well thats what my mother and grandmother called them -The only person off hand that I can remember living there was Mrs Keenan and family -
in behind those cottages was a hall -known locally as -guess -Mrs Keenans hall -there was Irish dancing classes held there also -Mrs Keenans hop -- :D :D :D :D
the newer DLRCC ones I think-are called Thomastown Court -
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Wed May 09, 2012 1:22 am

Grammer,

Yoiu are a star. Thank you for the great photo. That could be them. I went back and looked at the 1901 and 1911 census again and it was just called Avondale - we were so used to talking about Avondale Cottages that is what I mistakenly called them. In both census' the numbering is different. In the 1901 the first house is large occupied by Mr Mayne a physician so that must have been the big housethen there are five other houses all with either1, 2 or 3 windows and 1,2 or 3 rooms. so that could be the white washed cotages in the picture. There are Moores there in 1901 and 1911.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm

grammer wrote:I found a photograph a couple of years ago on the net -supposedly old Sallynoggin cottages
I wonder are they them???

I doubt it Grammer. There is a mountain in the background.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed May 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Ah No Strum,

Didn't notice that earlier. Maybe its just a shadda on the photo and me thinking that might be my great granny standing outside the lovely cottages.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Enviro500 » Wed May 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Grammer,
Are those whitewashed cottages ,below where our respective Grandmothers lived in Longford Villas. Would they be where HONEYPARK now is.. Clearly thet are on the same side as Longford villas....I seen this picture a few times but it is difficult to date it.. Poss turn of the 20th Century ?
Enviro500.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby farmboy » Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Fair play to ya Grammer, that photo was in my mind as I was writing my earlier post. 8-)
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm

Lads I'm not trying to stir it but that photo in my humble opinion is very rural Ireland, probably down the west. Connemara even.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm

Strum,

Gaway awadat. Hate to tell you but, Avondale was very rural in 1900. My mother lived in Stradbrook and went to work in 1930 to DUBLIN (big smoke). She had to walk to Temple Hill to get the tram or Blackrock for the train and when she arrived in the job they couldn't stop talking about the "wan from the country who had come to work with them". She barely understood the Dublin accent!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Thu May 10, 2012 12:02 am

methinks the mountain is indeed shading - I'd suggest the picture was framed in an oval mount (there's a "mountain" at the bottom right too)
And what about the green hydrant? Hardly that rural

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Enviro500 » Thu May 10, 2012 12:36 am

Guys,
I concurr with Michael regards the cottages,, That is a shading or a sepia stain..not a mountain .I was trying to remember where I saw the picture before and I remember now..I t is in Peter Pearson's book on Dun Laoghaire, Between the Mountains & the Sea ... I actually have the 1997 edition and the newer one bought last year...Definitely Sallynoggin ....

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Strum » Thu May 10, 2012 12:39 am

Hands up! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Thu May 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Avondale might have been the home of the Massy family in the first half of the 1800s. The certainly gave an address of Avondale, and some records of births and marriages in Monkstown C of I - Monkstown parish included the area which is now Sallynoggin. They were descendants of Lord Massy of Limerick.. I cannot find them
in Griffiths Valuation 1852, but will try again.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Thu May 10, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi Gulliver
any help here???.
http://www.failteromhat.com/lo1876/17.pdf
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Great site Grammer,

Spent the last hour there. How do you find them? you are a mine of information.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Fri May 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Sorry Rocker nearly missed your post-
here is the home page link
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Holla » Sun May 20, 2012 11:57 pm

[quote="farmboy"]Funny you should mention Avondale Rocker. My father,s family lived in Carrolls Cottages in 1911, he,s not listed in the Census as he wasnt born till November that year and the Census was carried out earlier than that. The cottages were down near Harolds school, I dont know what year they were demolished. The family later lived in Honeypark. The father always maintained he lived in Avondale and said there were 6 cottages. Perhaps sometime between Carroll,s cottages and Honeypark they did live there, maybe we,ll never know but I recall him mentioning the names of the other people who lived in Avondale. We were only young boys when he was telling us these things and sadly wouldnt have paid much attention to him. One name for some reason stuck with me, someone called "Kite" Moore, dont know why, maybe because its so unusual. He,s gone almost 20 years now and its only through the internet that I could trace Carroll,s Cottages but why would he say he came from Avondale? Would love to know the answer to that.

There was a man Ger kite Moore lived just as you enter eden villas glasthule he was a regular in walters bar ,he died about 10 or 12 years ago
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby grammer » Mon May 21, 2012 12:07 am

I think there were Byrnes-McCabes-O'Briens -Hughes-Mc Donald's-Carrolls-???????
grammer
The Spoon

Next

Return to GENEALOGY