Davis, Keeley, White ?

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Davis, Keeley, White ?

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:26 pm

Every few months since the 1911 census came on line I try to piece together the family tree. I started from a very poor base line and on my Maternal line have got as far as I am going to . Now my paternal line is more intrigueing. I've gone back to my Great Great Grandfather but want to go outwards now.
These are some of the lines I have come up with and I am throwing them out there in case someone from some of those families is researching too.
My Gt Gt Grandfather Richard Davis married Bridget Carroll in 1848 at Booterstown RC Church they had 11 children and I only traced outwards Mary Ann 1849 to 1912 who married my Great Grandfather.Are you one of those other Davis lines?
Mary Ann Davis had 13 children and I have traced the boys -the girls Elizabeth and Mary Ann seemed to have married John and Joseph White two brothers about 1910, and my grandmothers sister Mary Anne maybe married a Frederick Keeley about 1905 they seemed to have moved between Blackrock and DunLaoghaire. If anyone finds these Davis, White or Keeley on their tree maybe they would let me know.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Re: Davis, Keeley, White ?

Postby Gulliver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 am

Rocker
Come down to the Genealogical Society of Ireland any Wednesday from about 10.00-4.00. You will find people there who have some experience in such tracing. In case that you don't know about it, the society has offices on the Carlisle pier - underneath the George IV monument on 4 balls - it was formerly a very convenient place, if you know what I mean!.

The society is assembling a large archive of local material. It has a copy of the registers of Booterstown Church. It has a number of local old school rollbooks, minute books of old local societies, etc. We could use some help in catalogueing a lot of that stuff and more.

Also has an informal meeting in Weirs on the 4th Wednesday each month at 10.30 - all welcome. Yesterday was one such meeting
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Thank you Gulliver. I completely forgot you mentioned this before. I will go to the offices at Carlile pier some Wednesday. I have some experience of office work, filing,dealing with old title docs and maps etc just retired after 40 odd years so maybe you might find me suitable to help with catalogueing.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm

Be careful, Rocker, you might just get addicted to it - I wandered in there a few years ago when I retired (also after 40+ years) - I've ended up on the board. Find us on http://www.familyhistory.ie or on facebook or twitter.
You are just the guy we need!!!

Like you, I also have an interest in old maps
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:56 am

Gulliver,

I am addicted. The family history is the most exciting project I ever undertook. I bored the family to death but when I produced family trees for christening of grand nephews etc they changed their tune. I have got so much out of the research I would like to put something back in and help others get the bug.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Rocker wrote:Gulliver,

I am addicted. The family history is the most exciting project I ever undertook. I bored the family to death but when I produced family trees for christening of grand nephews etc they changed their tune. I have got so much out of the research I would like to put something back in and help others get the bug.

Like you folks I got addicted nearly two years ago,in that time I have been to ,National library (Thoms directory,church records on micro film) general register office,( B. M. D )Arcbishops house Dublin(church records),national archives() reading the addmissions and records books of rathdown workhouse, Guinness archives, Dundrum castle( family lived here and worked for both of these), Dublin city library( Deansgrange cemetry records)all the time I spent in these places I have met the most helpful staff and of course you get chating to other addicted people,to get from one building to the other in the city I signed up for the Dublin bike hire this is great ten euro a year just pin in your pin number hop on the bike and off you go, having a sweet tooth I also found lots of good coffee shops :P this is just a little part of my search which is like a book always starting new chapters and I love it but i think theres a lot more to do I
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Gulliver » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Holla & Rocker
As I said in another thread, it is absolutely important and very satsfying to assemble it into a book. There are multiple benefits.
Firstly, it means that it will be better preserved for the next and future generations.
Secondly, the reaction of your family and relatives will change entirely when they see the book. They will pour out all of the family stories, facts, lost documents and photos which they feel should be in the book - and many of these will be worthwhile.
The guy who has done this extraordinarily well is William, who has recently joined this group. He produced a massive tome, and everyone who was mentioned in it wanted a copy.
With new technology, printing a small circulation book is not necessarily costly.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Rocker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:13 am

Gulliver and Holla,

I thought I was doing great work looking up the family but I am light years behind you two. I have bags of disjointed material and certs, half done data basesand missing threads. Havent nearly enough to compile a book. But you are motivating me to get my act together.
Thats a great tip about the city bikes Holla. I usually just go to Pearse Street library and spend the day there and go home jaded on the DART then take a day in the GRO in the Irish life or the National Library. I have met THE most helpful staff especially at Pearse Street they cant do enough for you. Iasked the dopiest questions on day one!!When I started off looking up WW1 records and found out that my grandfather and four of his brothers had been in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers the chap there turned up great info for me. We are blessed to have so many interested custodians of information who go above and beyond their remit to help. Onwards and upwards!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 am

I am not that organized rocker I like you have certs and all sorts of bits and bobs in a box and only I know whats what, I have great plans to compile it all together some day :roll: Iam gona have to take Gullivers advice and assemble it into a book its just you feel the search is not over yet :)
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 pm

Thought I'd put a little update about this search. I put up a number of searches on an English site called Rootschat.com about three to four years ago. The experts there gave me invaluable assistance in how to go about researching old church records. Seems both sides of the family could originally have some from Wicklow, one from Donard and the other from Glendalough.But, I am straying! the requests stayed in the rootschat system and two weeks ago I got an e mail advising that someone answered my queries. I have been in contact by e mail with a great granddaughter of my grandfather's sister who married one of the elusive White brothers.She has done even more research and I now know the elusive Richard Davis was from Liverpool a stevadore - so again my maternal and paternal family worked on the boats between Ireland and England. This internet and genealogy sites are powerful things. Just to say, if you are starting out doing family research don't despair. If I could find the info I have found with just the smattering of knowledge I started out with four years ago anyone can piece together their family tree.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to GENEALOGY