Deansgrange Cemetery

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Deansgrange Cemetery

Postby Sinead » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Have been there on a few occasions, very nice peaceful place, not very many visitors.

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Sinead wrote:Gulliver:

How come the Geneaological Society did not use the correct form of the Burial Ground's name? All grave papers I have state Dean's Grange. I was a proof reader in a former life and tend to notice these things.

In their own documentation, DLR Co Co, as owners of the cemetery use both Dean's Grange and Deansgrange. I will enquire from the author.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Sinead » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 pm

Did the Corpo always own it? I seem to remember it was run by a trust when I was young. I can remember the two chapels off the main walk being used. A gran uncle was put in the RC one overnight as the wrong grave had been opened.

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:02 pm

Glasnevin is owned by a trust. As far as I know, Deansgrange and Shanganagh are owned by DLRCOCO.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Holla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Sinead & Gulliver I think you are both correct the cemetery was run by the Deans grange joint burial board ,and later Dun laoghaire coco
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm

I remembered it being called the Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board. So did a bit of googling.
The Dean's Grange Joint Burial Board established by the Local Government Board (Ireland) Provisional Order Confirmation (No4) Act 1899 was dissolved by The Local Government (Dublin) Act 1993 and DunLaoghaire Rathdown Co Co took over responsibility.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Mon May 14, 2012 10:43 am

Catching up on some old newspapers. The DunLaoghaire Gazette of 3 May has an article "Burials are to be computerised"
A Dundrum Councellor Denis O'Callaghan submitted a motion "that the manager initiate a project for Deans Grange Cemetry to include a survey of all recorded burials, location of graves and then the data gathered be put up on the Council's website and also be made available for historical use"
The article goes on to say the Council agreed to undertake the project of automating all cemetry records for both Deans Grange and Shanganagh so that they will be easily accessible on line to the public.
The data will be managed by a cemetry management system and the whole project will take about two years.
The online system is to incorporate the arrangement of funerals by funeral directors using an online calendar booking system and be a great boon to genealogical searches and it will provide additional revenue for the Council.
Sounds a great project. Lets hope they charge a realistic fee for online searches as the proposed 50 Euro research fee they had listed on the wall in the old office was "off the wall"!! I also hope they have a chat with Catriona Crowe from the National Archives as her projects on the 1901 and 1911 census on line are a credit to her, the archives and to Ireland.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Gulliver » Mon May 14, 2012 3:08 pm

In the cemetery i saw 4 men carrying a coffin,
3 hours later i saw the same men with the same coffin and i thought to myself......
They've lost the plot :) :)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Denis Cromie » Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm

:lol: :lol:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby budgie » Mon May 14, 2012 6:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
budgie

Postby Sinead » Mon May 14, 2012 10:00 pm

That's why my granuncle had to overnight in the RC Chapel many years ago!

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Tue May 15, 2012 9:56 am

There are people dying to get in there all the time
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby spudseamus » Wed May 16, 2012 1:54 am

you guys will be the death of me !!!! :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Strum » Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 am

Image Ah stop, yiz are killing me!
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed May 16, 2012 11:04 am

Rocker wrote:Catching up on some old newspapers. The DunLaoghaire Gazette of 3 May has an article "Burials are to be computerised"
A Dundrum Councellor Denis O'Callaghan submitted a motion "that the manager initiate a project for Deans Grange Cemetry to include a survey of all recorded burials, location of graves and then the data gathered be put up on the Council's website and also be made available for historical use"
The article goes on to say the Council agreed to undertake the project of automating all cemetry records for both Deans Grange and Shanganagh so that they will be easily accessible on line to the public.
The data will be managed by a cemetry management system and the whole project will take about two years.
The online system is to incorporate the arrangement of funerals by funeral directors using an online calendar booking system and be a great boon to genealogical searches and it will provide additional revenue for the Council.
Sounds a great project. Lets hope they charge a realistic fee for online searches as the proposed 50 Euro research fee they had listed on the wall in the old office was "off the wall"!! I also hope they have a chat with Catriona Crowe from the National Archives as her projects on the 1901 and 1911 census on line are a credit to her, the archives and to Ireland.

Yiz were laughing so much did you read the above that they are going to put the records on line?
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:29 pm

While you are all packing your spades and buckets for the long week end I was up in Deansgrange following onne of my fascinating passions ... looking at old graves....

Was in the old North Section where there has been alot of tree felling and machinery at work and it has unearthed a grave which is in poor shape. Does anyone know if the Royal Dublin Fusiliers look after old fusiliers grave or is there anything like that?.
It is NT3 59 erected for 12774 private H. Dunne, Royal Dublin Fusiliers 27 January 1915 age 28.
It stopped my in my tracks and I am now adopting it to see if anyone can fix it up.I'll start googling but as this is the No1 site I put it here first. I know you will know how I can go about fixing.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Rocker, there is an association connected with the RDF I will see what I can find out about them.
About a year or eighteen months ago they unveiled headstones in Deansgrange. The War Graves
Commission might be another one to contact.
Deansgrange really is a fascinating place.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby davy57 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:32 am

Hi All :)

This may be a long shot and sorry to trouble you, but I was wondering if you were able to point me in the right direction with regard to my Great Great Grandfather, John Birney, and my Great Great Grandmother, Mary Duffy (Birney).

I have the burial records for both of them, but was wondering if you possibly knew anyone who would (or does), take photographs of graves at Deansgrange. As I live in Australia (formally Glasgow, Scotland), it's a wee bit difficult to carry out this myself!!

The following are the burial records of both John and Mary:

I also have burial records of a few more of my Birney's but won't trouble you with these at the moment.

Name: John Birney Date of Death: 11-Jun-1897
Address: 13 Wellington St Dublin County: Co. Dublin
Graveyard Informant
Graveyard: DEANSGRANGE Relationship: Not Recorded
Parish: DEANSGRANGE Name: Luke Birney
County: Co. Dublin Address: Not Recorded
Notes:
K3 56 N SEE ALSO 8415

Name: Mary Birney Date of Death: 11-Oct-1884
Address: Kingstown County: Co. Dublin
Graveyard Informant
Graveyard: DEANSGRANGE Relationship: Not Recorded
Parish: DEANSGRANGE Name: Francis Birney (My Great Grandfather)
County: Co. Dublin Address: Not Recorded
Notes:
K356N

I know it could possibly be a long shot, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I also have more Birney's buried in Deansgrange, but I'll leave it here for now.

My family has a huge connection with Dun Laoghaire.

Thank you and Kind Regards.

David Birney
Traralgon
Victoria
Australia.
davy57

Postby Gulliver » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I'll be down at the cemetery during the week. I'll bring my camera and see what I can do. If I can't find it there, then I'll search the records at the Genealogical Society in Dun Laoghaire. These records are not online.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Davy57

I have good news and not so good news

Firstly, I checked the records at the cemetery, and they show that the Birneys were interred in the North section of the cemetery, subsection 3 in row K, grave number 56
In this section, Row K is not a straight row, and many of the cemetery staff were involved in the search before we located the relevant grave.
It is an old section, and many of the graves are unmarked as you will see in the second picture below.

Grave K356N is clearly visible, but the headstone does not show the name Birney. Instead, it shows a burial of a girl named Christine Stevens (nee Pepper) who died in 1949.

The cemetery staff suggest many possible explanations. Is Christina Stevens a relative, and was permission given by the Birney relatives?
The other most likely alternative is as follows:- Back in the past, when a grave was not maintained for a period of about 50 years, and there was no headstone, and no known relatives, then the grave might be offered or sold again.

I took another photo to show the recently renovated grave of a founder of the GAA, just a couple of yards away. This one had recently been researched in detail, and made it easy to verify the location. In this pic, you can see the headstone of Grave K356N which is the closest one in the background on the right. The width of a plot is 4 ft, and yours is three plots accross and 1 up from this one

Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Sinead » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:48 pm

Davy57:

Were the Birney family from Dalkey?

Rocker: I am waiting for a reply from a pal in Dublin Fusiliers Association about the upkeep of graves, think he may be
away at the moment.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Thank you Sinead,

Was away myself so didn't really follow up. Tried to join The Dublin Fusilliers Assoc forum but noone got back to me to register me.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Hello Davy 57,

When I saw your post the name Birney rang a bell and then I remembered your posts on Rootschat. I am a big fan of that site and check in from time to time. I encountered the same problem which Gulliver seems to have with your family plot. There were all types and classes of burial plots in Deans Grange cemetry and in the 1800's most people coouldn't afford to buy the grave so they paid a certain amount and had so many years to buy it. Most times life intervened and noone thought about the plot anymore and with the passing of time the grave was resold by the graveyard. Very few families could afford a headstone so the grave was unmarked. The record, however, remains and they are interred in that plot.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby davy57 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Hello All :)

First of all I must offer my profound apologies for the time taken to reply to all your posts. I had quite a lot happening lately which kept me offline, very sorry indeed.

Hi Gulliver :) : Many thanks for your information and pictures. As you state, it would appear that my Birney ancestors plot in Grave K356N has not been maintained and that the tenure has been taken over. As far as I am aware Christina Stevens is not a relative. To me it's good news as the actual plot has been located, thanks to your very kind work in taking the time to research and take a couple of pictures, very much appreciated.

Hi Sinead :) : In response to your question "Were the Birney family from Dalkey?", my research is that my Birney's were born, married and died in Dun Laoghaire, but my Father has always insisted that there is a Dalkey connection somewhere along the line. I have traced my Birney's back to 1795 in Baldoyle, then moving to Dun Laoghaire.

Hi Rocker :) : Many thanks for your information and it appears that you are correct in stating that through the passing of time my Birney's grave was basically forgotten about.

My Great Grandfather, Francis Birney b1850 d1926, was a "pilot" in Dun Laoghaire Harbour. His Father John (Grave K356N) is nominated on his death registration as being emplyed as a "diver" in Dun Laoghaire Harbour, so there is obviously a big connection with the Maritime industry.

I have other Grave Plot references that I need help with, if you could be so kind. Once again, thank you all for your responses and assistance, it is so very much appreciated.

P.S: Gulliver: My Wife is a Genealogist here in Australia and a volunteer for this particular website "www.gravestonephotos.com" and this site is always looking for volunteers for gravestone pictures and indexing, if you are interested

Kind Regards

Davy57
davy57

Postby Sinead » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:30 pm

Davy57:

In January 1923 two men by the name of Birney, from Dalkey, were in a Crosserly Tender which was blown up on Terenure Road
in Dublin.

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

PreviousNext

Return to GENEALOGY