Deansgrange Cemetery

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Deansgrange Cemetery

Postby Enviro500 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Gang,

Did ye know that folk living along Clonkeen Rd cannot be buried in DEANSGRANGE...........................................................the reason being........................................................................................They are NOT DEAD YET..!!!!
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Have just come back from a stroll around the cemetery. Was over in the old West plot where my grandparents are buried. I was struck by the bad condition of some of the graves. In some cases large crosses were toppled, grave edging lifted or missing, one once ornate plot has missing gates, stumps of trees and evidence of fire. I suppose all relatives of the deceased have long since passed but what can be done? Before I went over to the West section I had been in the office and there are large signs disclaiming any responsibility for gravestones- something to the effect that you can put up a gravestone but if it falls in disrepair we will get rid of it.
I seem to remember that the old Deansgrange Joint Burial Board repaired broken headstones. What is this new attitude of DLRCoCo? Do they want to consign history and peoples' last markers to landfill?
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm

I agree with you Rocker. It's absolutely shameful to see the neglect of the gravestones. I hope you never have to use the toilets in the cemetry,the last time I went in there the squalor was disgusting. I think it's just people not doing the work that they are paid for,it can't all be put down to cutbacks.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Toss » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Rocker wrote: What is this new attitude of DLRCoCo? Do they want to consign history and peoples' last markers to landfill?

Maybe, but dont rule out the resale value of old plots ...... I know someone who just buried their husband in someone elses family grave as it was cheaper than buying a new plot !! seemingly there were two vacancies. I've no idea how much research went into finding the existing family of the original plot owners, but the whole thing was done in about three days ... so you can guess. As the song goes ...its all about the money, money :(

I know the cemetary workers lost the gate at christmas (worth a fortune at a €5 a car minimum) and there is still bad feeling over that, but the neglect like everything else .... is a disgrace. God forbid they get the professionally unemployed off their arses and have them clean up graves for their freebies. ;)
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Community service.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:24 pm

I don"t know how true this is but I was told Deangrange cemetery have graves for sale just beside the turnstile gate these cost e15,000 and are of the lawn cemetery style the money made on the sale of these is to go back into the upkeep of the cemeterys old graves ,I know three years ago we paid e3,550 for a grave in Shanganagha e150.oo of this we were told was for overtime as the burial was a saturday and the cheque had to be made out to Dl/RDcoco and paid the day before burial
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am

Toss,

You have given me food for thought I never thought of them reselling the old graves. Something like that happened in Glasnevin. I have found lots of unmarked graves where my great grandparents etc are buried. I made enquiries at the office if I could put headstones on them but they said I would have to buy them again as they were not in my name or get a letter from the owner designating me as the next of kin. Of course, the owner is one of those in the grave after alll these years!! then pay a foundation fee of 415 Euros if I wanted to put up a headstone and kerb and 240 Euros if I wanted to put up a headstone only. I must write to the graveyard and tell them that I am next of kin to those unmarked plots.
Holla,
I saw those garden plots which they are selling for 16,000 Euro - my house cost a little more than that!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:09 pm

I believe there are graves in Deansgrange were not 'sold' but some form of 'lease system' was used. If the grave has been unopened for a number of years ownership reverts to the administrators of the Burial Ground.
I am looking at a card I have from 1967 from Dean's Grange Cemetery, Blackrock, Co.Dublin the reverse is printed in red and reads:-
"The Dean' Grange Joint Burial Board undertakes the upkeep of Graves in Perpetuity for a Fee of £25.0.0. per single grave pace, double
spaces etc., pro rate."
Wonder what will happen when I turn up with my receipt and ask why they haven't been 'upkeeping' the grave?
November 1964 the price of a grave was £6.0.0. and £1.15.0. to inter a body, In 1971 the interment charge increased to £2.10.0.
Oh how things have changed in 50 years.

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:35 pm

What in God's name is happening to our country,we 'll soon not be able to afford to die.I know that the abolition of household rates in 1977 was pure vote getting lunacy but someone in local government is making decisions on the price of grave plots which could lead to bodies being left on the roadside. This is hardly the way to create a decent and fair society.Will the next property crash be brought about by speculation in graves.
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:45 am

Sinead,

Thanks for that info on the graves being leased not sold. i went up rooting in my junk and found a receipt from 1950 from Dean's Grange Cemetery and it was for 2pounds and 10 shillings for internment and on the reverse there is a note
Unpurchased Graves
Residents within Rathdown Union Area will have the option of purchasing third and fourth class grave spaces within a period of four years from date of first interment and those who reside outside Rathdown Area will have the option of purchasing fourth class graves within one year from date of first burial after which the grave becomes the property of the Board.

I never knew that!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Was moaning about the condition of graves last Tuesday so today I though I'd try a positive approach and went armed with my shovel and cutters to unearth a few graves. I'm going to "adopt a grave". well I pulled and dragged at ivy and undergrowth around what I though was a tree stump and it turned out to be a lovely headstone. This West section had buriels around 1908 so probably everyone related to the deceased have gone, but, I know I was delighted when I found the plot for my great great grandparents - we didn't do headstones and we had no idea where they were buried. So here goes - my adopted grave is Simon and Margaret Weafer, Fitzwilliam Quay, Ringsend and if any relations look in here its near 33 Y1 West section. Haven't cleaned around it yet so don't really know the numbers - thats one nearby.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:48 pm

Well done Rocker. Must go up soon to tend to my Mothers grave.
Strum
Administrator

Postby farmboy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:08 pm

My grandfather on the mum,s side died back in 1933 when she was only 8 years old. As there were 5 kids the old granny was left in a bad way financially. They werent able to afford the plot in Deans Grange but he was buried there. Seems if you couldnt pay by a certain amount of time the grave would be sold to someone else which is what happened in their case. About 10 years ago the mum and myself went up and found the grave but theres nothing to mark it as him being there just the name of the man who,s coffin went in on top of the grandfathers.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:17 am

Must make a visit.
Denis Cromie

Postby Sinead » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:19 pm

Recently when 'doing the grave' a man passed me, then he came back - my heart was in my mouth, anyway he asks 'do you know the man buried here'? Being cautious I say yes. He proceeds to tell me he believes the man is his Godfather although he never met him. I ask, 'what makes you think that', he replies 'the name is the same as on my Baptismal Certificate', do you have anything he ever gave you says I, yes he replies a half crown. Hearing this I could confirm that the person buried there was indeed his Godfather. The man, because of health problems, has to walk so he does so in Deans Grange on week days, this was the first occasion on which I went to the grave on a weekday - how about that for a coincidence. The person in the grave died in 1952.

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Sinead,

This is a lovely story. The man will be overjoyed to have met you. I have had amazing encounters in the graveyard - divine intervention maybe_ Here is an odd one,
My maternal grandfather was an orphen reared in DunLaoghaire by his Uncle Dick- a bootmaker that is all I ever knew about grandad who died in 1923. When the 1911 census came out I trawled through it and got all the Richards in DunLaoghaire and all the bootmakers and by a process of elimination narrowed it down to Richard Conway who had lived on Mulgrave St. More searching led me to find out that his sister married my great grandfather hence he was the Uncle Dick. One day when I left my grandfather's grave in the graveyard the whole family history was running through my head, I went along a path I had never been before and low and behold stumbled on the grave of Uncle Dick. Truth is stranger than fiction.!
Last edited by Rocker on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Wow great stories.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Gulliver » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:28 pm

The Genealogical Society of Ireland (based on Carlisle Pier) has recorded the details of the inscriptions from all of the gravestones in Deansgrange and has published them in 5 volumes. There's a lot of work in this, and small circulation, so they cost €13 each volume, making a total of €65 for the set. It is available in most libraries.
The work was done by teams co-ordinated by Barry O Connor, who teaches in the College of Further Education. Incidentally, they have also published the inscriptions from most other cemetaries in the area
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Denis Cromie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Great experiences folks. :D
Denis Cromie

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:23 pm

Gulliver,

Thank you for this info on the books. I had heard about them but didnt know where they were available. Marvellous project.

Farmboy,
Since we started doing the family tree we have found lots of incidents where family were buried in a plot and then later on the grave was sold to someone else. We have decided to get a plaque made with their names dates and details and a note "buried elsewhere in this cemetry" and we will put this on one of the graves we own. Its only now that we have had time to research that we realise the sacrifice our great grand folk made so we could have the much easier life.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:14 am

One more unusual story about happenings in Deansgrange. My friend who is a genealogist spends many hours walking around graveyards the lenght and breath of Ireland and has a photographic memory. Last year she was in Deansgrange one Sunday and stumbled on a grave for a German with an unusual name and details. She was intrigued about the probable history of the person and then went on to research a long list of graves which she had come to do. Hours later she was leaving by the main gate when she encountered a lady in much distress. This lady had come from Germany seeking the grave of her long lost relation, the office was closed and what was she to do? My friend asked a few more questions then it dawned on her that this was the grave she had stumbled on many hours earlier. She knows the graveyard like the back of her hand and was able to take the lady directly to the grave. Spooky or What!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Denis Cromie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:42 pm

I've lost faith in organised religion but I believe that there are times when good forces are at work to guide and help us. And Rocker, that has to be one of those occasions.
Denis Cromie

Postby Gulliver » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Those of you who have read my book "Gullivers Travels" will, of course know about the burial arrangements of the tiny inhabitants of Lilliput which I visited. I wrote it with the help of a Dublin guy called Jonathan Swift. Here's how I described it:-

"They bury their dead with their heads directly downward, because they hold an opinion, that in eleven thousand moons they are all to rise again; in which period the earth (which they conceive to be flat) will turn upside down, and by this means they shall, at their resurrection, be found ready standing on their feet. The learned among them confess the absurdity of this doctrine; but the practice still continues, in compliance to the vulgar."

Now there's an idea which might save space in Deansgrange :) :) :)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Sinead » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Gulliver:

Aren't Friends buried in the upright position? Or is this a myth?
How come the Geneaological Society did not use the correct form of the Burial Ground's name? All grave papers I have state Dean's Grange. I was a proof reader in a former life and tend to notice these things.
Another Dean's Grange storey - some years ago a cousin restored a house in Talbot Street, he was interested in knowing something of the
former owners. When taking a footpath from the main walk to a newer part I chanced on the grave of one of the former owners.

Sinead
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:21 pm

Sinead wrote:Gulliver:

Aren't Friends buried in the upright position? Or is this a myth?
Sinead

I don't think it's even a myth. There are myths about Jews being buried vertically...... they are not!

Friends (i.e. Quakers) have a simple burial ceremony, and the grave is marked by a simple gravestone. Go see the Quaker cemetery at Temple Hill, Blackrock.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

PreviousNext

Return to GENEALOGY