Deansgrange Cemetery

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Deansgrange Cemetery

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:54 am

While I was rooting on Google for any mention of the Red Cross grave in Deansgrange I came upon this site which I had forgotten. Someone did amazing work to get this up and running and maintained wuu wuu wuu

http://www.irishmedals.ie/Deansgrange-War-Graves.php
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:19 pm

might it be or recent usage?

Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:34 am

That is a very poignant newspaper cutting Micheál. You have just reminded me of some family tales which I had almost forgotten. In the thirties two of my aunts had moved to England (economic depression et al). When the war broke out the men joined the forces and were posted abroad. One aunt had one small child and the other two toddlers. They were in the centre of London in the most miserable houses and every night slept in the air raid shelters. Each morning they would come out to devastation. Somehow or other they both decided to come back to the Rock and throw themselves on the kindness of old neighbours. The boat to Dún Laoghaire was horrendous. For the next year or two those marvellous neighbours housed, fed, clothed and watered the "refugees" out of their rations. I'm sure every neighbourhood had such tales but even into the sixties and seventies I saw such wonderful Christian charity in that Stradbrook community. Would we the post Celtic Tiger generation do that now??....ha ha to keep on topic Stradbrook is near Deansgrange Cemetery :D
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Rocker:

Thank you for posting that link to the Irish Medals in Deansgrange. It is surprising how many
connections I could make. The Wheeler boy - his mother was one of my 'honorary aunts' she
was friends with my parents and thus became my Aunt Leisha. They lived in George's Place
in Dun Laoghaire and then moved to Stoneview Lane. Leisha was the cleaner in the girls
Dominican Convent Primary when I was a kid. Her son was killed in the barracks - they
were cleaning their guns and one lad had not unloaded, very tragic.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Delighted you liked that Medals site Sinead. I used to look into it a lot when I was starting research on WW1. That was where I first found mention of my Gt Uncle Edward having been killed in Belgium. I think it is some local person who set it up. It must have taken years of research as most of it was up before there was any free access to genealogical info. Painstaking library research.

Like you I have found many graves and history listed. It is poignant when you know the back story to the people mentioned. You have a marvellous memory.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:06 am

Good information on that Irish Medals site.

One thing intrigues me. Many (not all) WW1/WW2 participants appear to have died in action. How come they are buried in Deansgrange. Was it not the custom for casualties to be buried where they fell? Or did families have the option of repatriating their remains? Or might they have been evacuated to Ireland as injured and later died here?

I notice one case in particular. Died in 1945, but death not registered here.

Jamie?
Anyone?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 am

Interesting Micheál. I never thought to ask those questions!

It could have been something to do with family having enough money to repatriate the body because I remember as a child going around the graveyard and all the wealthier folk who died during the wars were buried there. Oh, I hope some of our experts reply to this one.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:11 pm

Interesting question Micheál, surely some would been repatriated to the Royal Hospital Kilmainham or the Hospital at Leopardstown to recover from their injuries, some may have survived for some time after, it would be nice to know the history behind each unfortunate victim.
keeper

Postby Micheál » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm

Yes Rocker & Keeper,
Repatriating injured would account for many.

Also, I asked someone else who confirmed that families of fallen men had the option of repatriating their remains (when it was practical to do so) but at their own expense. So obviously, this option was open only to those with the means to organise it.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:04 pm

I believe The Royal British Legion assisted some of the poorer people with repatriation
costs. The Branch in Dun Laoghaire was very big.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Holla » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 am

I was in Deansgrange cemetery recently and was taken aback when I saw a funeral cortage arrive at the gates and was led to the burial plot (which was 3/4 way up the cemetery )by a guy on a noisy dumper it was aufal to see the hearse crawl along behind this what away to be brought to your final resting place,surely one of the workers could have walked the route I think it was most disrespectful the only other thing I could think of was that the deceased was a construction worker and requested this but have my doubts.
Holla

Postby Rocker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Gosh Holla,

Never saw anything like that!! I know now that they don't dig the graves by hand but with a little digger but, they usually have the place set out nicely by the time the hearse arrives. Let us hope the deceased had requested that!!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:02 pm

The daffodils are out in full splendour in the cemetery. Well done all the staff.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Rocker wrote:The daffodils are out in full splendour in the cemetery. Well done all the staff.

Whaaat?
They're supposed to be pushing up DAISIES! :o :o

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:00 pm

Rocker wrote:Gosh Holla,

Never saw anything like that!! I know now that they don't dig the graves by hand but with a little digger but, they usually have the place set out nicely by the time the hearse arrives. Let us hope the deceased had requested that!!

Another funeral "development" I witnessed last week. The usual cortège - hearse, mourning car and so fourth. But something new - black flags fluttering on each of the undertakers vehicles - mounted just like team flags but black. dontknow

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:35 am

Micheál wrote:
Rocker wrote:The daffodils are out in full splendour in the cemetery. Well done all the staff.

Whaaat?
They're supposed to be pushing up DAISIES! :o :o

M.

Oh Micheál....trust you :lol: :lol: :lol:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY