Deansgrange Cemetery

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: Deansgrange Cemetery

Postby grammer » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:40 am

Yis are a shower of misers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your supposed to throw your money away at Christmas time and then be sensible for the rest of the year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:14 am

grammer wrote:Yis are a shower of misers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your supposed to throw your money away at Christmas time and then be sensible for the rest of the year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As they say in Deansgrange "Me Ma would be turning in her grave if she heard you!"
Did you never hear of
"Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of thenselves"
"Waste not , Want not,
"Have it yourself or do without"
"I wouldn't crawl to them for a crooked sixpence"

Was it not bet into you that you were to be sensible 24/7 and 365 ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Micheál » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:16 pm

grammer wrote:Yis are a shower of misers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Treat Yo Self!

Glenageary Guru
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:39 am

I planted a clipping from a money tree in my Mothers space and it has survived and grown even through all of our past freezing seasons since. Mine here that the clipping came off was almost killed by frost last year because I didn't take it in, but her one grew stronger.
She's still around. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Holla » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:24 pm

I met a woman in the cemetery today who told me her car window had been smashed and her bag stolen she was parked up at the top part of the cemetery,now I know she shouldn't have left her bag on display but it just shows you how low the scumbags will go. :evil:
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Strum » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:32 pm

Holla wrote:I met a woman in the cemetery today who told me her car window had been smashed and her bag stolen she was parked up at the top part of the cemetery,now I know she shouldn't have left her bag on display but it just shows you how low the scumbags will go. :evil:

Barstewards! Sunday of course, best day for pickings. They have no conscience Holla. :twisted:
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:20 am

Happens regularly sadly, I stopped a while back when I saw two very upset elderly ladies at their car, a hatchback, the rear window had been smashed and their bags and other items stolen, they told me they had known of previous robberies and had taken care to put everything out of sight in the boot, this means there were some scumbags hiding and watching, better to put everything away before you leave home. Isn't it so sad our country has come to this, no value on human life and absolutely no regard for people's property, not even respect for dead, we're not even safe in a graveyard or even a church.
keeper

Postby grammer » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:48 am

keeper wrote:Happens regularly sadly, I stopped a while back when I saw two very upset elderly ladies at their car, a hatchback, the rear window had been smashed and their bags and other items stolen, they told me they had known of previous robberies and had taken care to put everything out of sight in the boot, this means there were some scumbags hiding and watching, better to put everything away before you leave home. Isn't it so sad our country has come to this, no value on human life and absolutely no regard for people's property, not even respect for dead, we're not even safe in a graveyard or even a church.

Sadly keeper -every word is true.
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Snowhite » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:18 pm

Holla wrote:I met a woman in the cemetery today who told me her car window had been smashed and her bag stolen she was parked up at the top part of the cemetery,now I know she shouldn't have left her bag on display but it just shows you how low the scumbags will go. :evil:

That's dreadful, I'm very nervous going to the Cemetary on my own, try to go when I know there will be a lot of people around, but Deansgrange is so big and when your up the back it's scary, that wall at the back should be built up to about 7ft it's such an easy escape route for anyone, also a good place to watch for innocent people on their own. :shock:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Zirco » Mon May 16, 2016 10:48 pm

Visiting Deansgrange cemetery today I was again struck by how large sections of the cemetery are overgrown with the same kind of weed. Large tracts have succumbed to this ghastly weed. And it's not a new thing, it's been in evidence for years now.
Why is this not being tackled by the staff there, I wonder.
dontknow dontknow dontknow
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby grammer » Tue May 17, 2016 9:26 am

I will post this here as Shanganagh cemetery is linked to Deans Grange
Planning app before the main entrance
for a Crematorium -2 Halls for holding services in -coffee shop etc-new burial plots etc.
grammer
The Spoon

Postby slipper » Tue May 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Let's all hope it's approved,that trip to Harold's Cross is a pain. wuu wuu wuu
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Micheál » Tue May 17, 2016 7:14 pm

slipper wrote:Let's all hope it's approved,that trip to Harold's Cross is a pain. wuu wuu wuu

Unless, that is, you're the one in the back of the hearse.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cant imagine the locals wanting a smelting tower beside them .
grammer
The Spoon

Postby keeper » Tue May 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Yes Zirco, that weed is a pain in the butt :shock: I wonder what it is called, somebody planted it on a grave and it's just spread like wildfire especially at the upper end of the graveyard. I'm sick and tired trying to keep it at bay. They sprayed it last year and it died away for a while but came even bigger again :mrgreen:
keeper

Postby Rocker » Thu May 19, 2016 2:09 am

keeper wrote:Yes Zirco, that weed is a pain in the butt :shock: I wonder what it is called, somebody planted it on a grave and it's just spread like wildfire especially at the upper end of the graveyard. I'm sick and tired trying to keep it at bay. They sprayed it last year and it died away for a while but came even bigger again :mrgreen:

Now, youse have me intrigued. I'll have to go up to the graveyard and check out this weed. They used to spray a lot in the old days but like everything else it has probably been "subcontracted out" nowadays....the dearer option.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Thu May 19, 2016 2:19 pm

Got a reply to my query to DLRCOCO re the graveyard weed, see below.

"Hi the weed thats currently rampant in the Cemetery is called mares/horses tail. It is impossible to eradicate and is extremely robust. The Council's weed control contractor will be in soon to spray it."

So now we know!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby keeper » Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Zirco wuu 'tis a nuisance, Rocker, it's pretty bad up around the St.Peters plot but I've seen it worse, I think it's only starting its growing stage now for this year.
keeper

Postby Zirco » Thu May 19, 2016 9:26 pm

This is Horsetail, the weed infesting Deansgrange cemetery. It is very difficult to remove, having roots extending to seven feet!!! :shock:

Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Deansgrange Cemetery
Headstone unveiling
Vol. John Hickey
Cork and Dún Laoghaire
who died for Ireland during the war of Independence

Meeting 3pm Cemetery Gates
Saturday 3 December 2016
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Had occasion to go to the office in Deansgrange Cemetery today to get some information. I dealt with a really helpful gentleman who answered my questions, got the details I needed and imparted some really good advice to me. He certainly restored my faith in front desk service.
keeper

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:42 am

keeper wrote:Had occasion to go to the office in Deansgrange Cemetery today to get some information. I dealt with a really helpful gentleman who answered my questions, got the details I needed and imparted some really good advice to me. He certainly restored my faith in front desk service.

Thats great Keeper. I always got such helpful people there then a couple of years ago I think they thought they would make some money from the questioners and I was told that various information would cost 50 Euros. I can't remember the exact details but, I never sought their help again.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Rocker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:31 am

Well yesterday was my first visit to Shanganagh cemetery. What a well kept place, a credit to the workers.We got there ahead of the funeral as I had driven like the clappers !! The staff were putting the final touches to the grave preparation and me being me ...got chatting. Three lads all from the Boro with a wealth of local information. Wish I had had a longer chat. I was struck with the kind attitude with which they treated some elderly visitors asking about graves. A very positive experience. Dún Laoghaire Council should be proud to have such workers.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Holla » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:38 pm

Just curious anyone know any information on a plot of about ten graves belonging to the Irish red cross I came across in Deansgrange cemetery old protestant side near gate lodge/cafe the inscription on the headstone reads erected by the Irish red cross society in memory of the residents of the society's home for refugees. .?maintained by the Blackrock and Booterstown branch.
Holla

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:51 am

Gosh Holla, I never saw that. I wonder if they were WW2 refugees. It is strange that there are no names of the refugees. I know at WW2 there were names recorded of refugees. There was all sorts of police checks and signing on to keep an eye on the "aliens" as they were called. I never heard of Ireland taking in sick or injured refugees. I wonder if the office at the graveyard has any further details??

On another vein, during WW1 the Red Cross (from Switzerland, I think) got my badly injured grandfather out of Limburg an der Lahn Prisoner of War camp in Germany and saved his life.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

PreviousNext

Return to GENEALOGY