Tonight's the Night

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Tonight's the Night

Postby jordo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:06 pm

(Sorry Guys, I was to post this on Sunday but am still having major problems with the Internet)

Well Guys tonight is the night that we will leave our mark for future generations as we make our 2011 census returns and I wonder will this census generate as much interest for those who will come after us as did the 1911 one when it came on line four short years ago.

The media continues to highlight different returns from the 1911 one on a near regular basis and on Friday last a programme dealt with the returns from Bank Place Ennis Co Clare. The reporter, Valerie Cox, went to great pains to describe the seven or so families who lived there. The great jobs they had, their religion, mostly Church of Ireland, the amount of servants each had and in particular their beautiful hand writing, you know the real important things that matter in life… to some.
It took a local historian to whet my appetite when he mentioned the family who lived at No 4.
William Fogerty, a solicitor by profession lived there with his wife Emily both aged 46 and both C of I. There was also a guest Mr William Fleck Johnston, a Civil Engineer staying there that night as well as Bridget Hanrahan their servant. The programme commented on the fact that both the latter were ‘Protestent’ for some reason or another and went as far as to speculate that perhaps Mr Johnston got Bridget the job.
You will remember when we were trying to link the Great War dead with Dun Laoghaire families the amount of tragedies that had already befallen some of the families we researched before the very obvious one that we became aware of.

So to bring the story forward I had to go back to the 1901 census to confirm the story related by the historian.
The family in 1901 were living at 12, Ennis Road Limerick. William and Emily were nine years married and the three children listed are John (4) William (1) and Delia (under 1 year)
The 1911 census showed that five children were born to William and Emily but three had already died. John and William on the other hand are returned as ‘boarders in the Galway Grammer School for boys College Road Galway.
According to the historian there were three boys and two girls, Delia obviously being one of them and both the girls tragically lost their lives in a boating accident in Scotland. Perhaps the third child was also lost in the accident and so far death records have not produced results for any of the three but I will continue searching. Certainly the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site does not record this third boys death but it does record the death of John on the 29th September 1917 and William on the 19th October 1919.

All five children lost tragically in such a short period of time. Death is no respecter of age nor position for that matter. It really is very hard to understand life at times isn’t it?
jordo

Re: Tonight's the Night

Postby farmboy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 pm

Yes Jordo, life can be hard to understand at the best of times. Seems to me that even apart from the tragedys that befell families, an awful lot of children died very young from what today would be classed as relatively minor ailments. My own grandparents grave in Deans Grange lists two of their daughters (my aunts) who died young, May and Una. The name Una was carved by mistake, it should have read Ena as in Georgina. The other girl was only a small infant when she died and Ena was 12 years old. Sadly theres no one around now to ask of what they died so the likelihood of finding that out is very slim if not nonexistent. I dont think it gives the years of their death on the headstone but they would have been older than my dad and he, were he alive would be celebrating his 100th birthday this year.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:57 am

My Grandad filled out the 1911 census. He was a well educated farmer in Tipperary - a local representative on the county council etc. But when he filled out the 1911 census, he made an odd error in respect of his daughter, my aunt. She is the 6 year-old - see what he wrote inder the "read and write" heading here.(6th entry on the list)
In respect of the same man, and his wife, there is an amusing mistake in the registry of his marriage. It suggests that the priest on the day may have had too much wine. In any case, the addresses of the bride and groom are reversed, as also are the parentage. In those days, it was probably not acceptable to point out the mistake to the priest, so they used a sort of code - each of them signed their names followed by the first 3 letters of their correct addresses - and so the register remains to this day.
Incidentally, you can see a picture of himself and his wife as the A0 size poster on the end of the Carlisle Pier, at the offices of the Genealogical Society. For those who do not know it, it is underneath the George IV monument (4 balls)
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Denis Cromie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:36 am

That's great research Jordo. FB reminds me that you can't always trust the information on gravestones. My own father's year of death was inscribed incorrectly as also was my brother's. Also on birth certificates my wife's name is spelt Juan rather than June,but maybe the Juan is right because when she hits me at times she has the power of a Juan. :lol:
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby grammer » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Gullivar
Incidentally, you can see a picture of himself and his wife as the A0 size poster on the end of the Carlisle Pier, at the offices of the Genealogical Society. For those who do not know it, it is underneath the George IV monument (4 balls)

what are the opening hours
I was down that way Friday morning and no sign of any life or lights
and no opening hours notice :( :( :( -posted outside
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby jordo » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:15 pm

HAHAHA Denis, the 'wans' in here can throw them too :D

Farmboy as you know my Gran died in childbirth in 1913 and I got the death cert with no problem.

I will have to wait until Fathers Day or my birthday and a present of the newspaper archives before I can get any further information on the Fogerty Family. I know yiz are all dying to know :roll:
jordo

Postby Gulliver » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:20 pm

grammer wrote:Hi Gullivar
what are the opening hours
I was down that way Friday morning and no sign of any life or lights

At the moment, Genealogy Society archive is only open Wednesdays... a notice will be there in a couple of days. During summer the opening hours will be extended.
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby grammer » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks for the information Gulliver
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Return to GENEALOGY