hello I am researching my family

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

hello I am researching my family

Postby samuel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Hello,
I came upon this site whilst looking for information on my late Uncle. I wonder if anyone can help, He was put into an orphange in Dun Laoghaire in his very early years which would have been around 1916 onwards when the family were split up. He was taught music whilst in the home, which was to his advantage as he became very well known in the Galway Area as a Musician, he was In the Des Fretwell Orchestra, he was a keyboard player, trumpet player and singer, he went on to have his own 14 piece orchestra called The Gerry Macken Band.

I have only just received this info from new found relatives in Dublin and unfortunately my Uncle passed away in 2009 at the good age of 93years hehis wige dies earlier but there are no children from the marriage.

I am interested in trying to find out which orphanage it might have been, as I live in the uk I do not know Ireland at all.

Thank you
samuel

Re: hello I am researching my family

Postby farmboy » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Samuel,

I,m sure there will be someone here who may be able to help you in your research. There were three orphanages in the Dun Laoghaire area to my knowledge. They were The Birds Nest on York Road, Saint Josephs Orphanage on Tivoli Terrace and The Cottage Home on Corrig Road. Others should have more information for you.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby jordo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi Samuel and welcome to the Site. As Farmboy said there were three orphanages in the Dun Laoghaire (then known as Kingstown) around the time of your late uncles birth. I am not aware of any of them that thought music and am wondering why you think John was a resident of any of the three.
There are only five Mackens in the area at the time of the 1911 Census, four siblings living together in Glasthule, a small village just outside the town and an older woman living with her married sister in the heart of the town. All are Roman Catholic and if this is the case with your uncle then both the Bird's Nest and the Cottage Home could nearly be ruled out.
Do you have the names of John's parents? This would help narrow things down greatly and we will see where we can go from there.

The best of luck with your search.
jordo

Postby Sinead » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:46 pm

St. Joseph's only housed girls. Carriglea is another place this man could have been housed, music would have been taught there and it was RC. Another source of info would be the Musicians Union, I think it is St. Cecilia's House in or around Fleet Street, Dublin

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby samuel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 pm

Sinead wrote:St. Joseph's only housed girls. Carriglea is another place this man could have been housed, music would have been taught there and it was RC. Another source of info would be the Musicians Union, I think it is St. Cecilia's House in or around Fleet Street, Dublin

Slan
Sinead

Hello Sinead,

Thanks for the info on orphanages, I wonder if you would know if records can be obtained for this period, I so want to find out what year my late Uncle went into the orphanage, as this will lead me onto tracing other siblings of my late father.

Sorry for the delay in answering, but have been over to Dublin 3 weeks ago to meet up with my new found relatives.

Regards;
Pat
samuel

Postby samuel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:28 pm

jordo wrote:Hi Samuel and welcome to the Site. As Farmboy said there were three orphanages in the Dun Laoghaire (then known as Kingstown) around the time of your late uncles birth. I am not aware of any of them that thought music and am wondering why you think John was a resident of any of the three.
There are only five Mackens in the area at the time of the 1911 Census, four siblings living together in Glasthule, a small village just outside the town and an older woman living with her married sister in the heart of the town. All are Roman Catholic and if this is the case with your uncle then both the Bird's Nest and the Cottage Home could nearly be ruled out.
Do you have the names of John's parents? This would help narrow things down greatly and we will see where we can go from there.

The best of luck with your search.

HI,
Thanks for your info, sorry I have not answered before, but have been busy researching, and we came over to Dublin 3 weeks ago to meet my new found relatives.

I think I may have confused you with my post, my late Uncle was called Gerard McInerney , and I have been told that Macken was his stage name.

My Late father and Gerry were brothers , I have found out there was indeed 10 siblings, unfortunately they were all separated around 1922/23/24. The family came from Cavan and Granard,but as my Grandfather was a soldier the family moved around.I really would like info on the date he went into the orphanage as this will open further doors for me in my research.

Regards,
Pat
samuel

Postby samuel » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:07 pm

farmboy wrote:Hi Samuel,

I,m sure there will be someone here who may be able to help you in your research. There were three orphanages in the Dun Laoghaire area to my knowledge. They were The Birds Nest on York Road, Saint Josephs Orphanage on Tivoli Terrace and The Cottage Home on Corrig Road. Others should have more information for you.

Hi,
Thanks for the info on the orphanges, sorry for the delay in answering, but have been over to Dublin meeting new found relatives, had a great time, but unfortunately we did not have long enough there,

Sinead told me in her post that Carriglea could possibly be the place my late Uncle was in, also I feel sure my late father would have been there too.

So I am now going to try and find out who would hold records for Carriglea, I wonder if it could be the local authority, if anybody can help me with this information i would be most grateful. the year would be approx, 1922/23/24.

Regards,
Pat.
samuel

Postby Harjoe » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Samual Carriglea was run by the Christan Brothers similer to Artane and was an industral school and continued until the 1950s
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby samuel » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Harjoe wrote:Hi Samual Carriglea was run by the Christan Brothers similer to Artane and was an industral school and continued until the 1950s

Hi
Thanks for this info, do you know if the Christian Brothers have an administration office that would house the archives.

Regards,
Pat
samuel

Postby Harjoe » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 pm

Not Sure Samuel but it was had enough to get them to coperate with the Murphy/ryan report on child abuse in Artane so I doubt if there a main archive someelse might know better I worked in Carriglea in 1958 but by that time it was a secondary school for boys who would go on tobe Christan Brothers sort of training school the boys then went on to St Helans or Marino wher there were noviceatives.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:34 pm

If you google the Christian Brothers you will find the headquarters. I think it is in Marino.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby samuel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:02 pm

Dancer wrote:Hi Samuel, I don't have anything to add. Just wanted to wish you good luck with your search :)

Hi.
Thanks for the message,not only am I researching my late Uncle, I am also on with the whole family, slowly getting results.

Pat
samuel

Postby samuel » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Sinead wrote:If you google the Christian Brothers you will find the headquarters. I think it is in Marino.

Slan
Sinead

Thanks for that I have found the HQ in Marino, Have e-mailed them so will wait and see.

Pat
samuel

Return to GENEALOGY