Mounttown Cottages

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Mounttown Cottages

Postby Betty » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:12 am

Any information on Mounttown Cottages ?. I believe my grandmother came from the Cottages, any help would
be very welcome. thank you
Betty
Betty

Re: Mounttown Cottages

Postby Gulliver » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:28 am

Betty
Here you will find a list of all residents in the cottages in 1911. Is she there??

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... _Cottages/
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:32 pm

MOUNTTOWN COTTAGES.
I am curious to know where they were, I lved in Dunedin, behind Mounttown. When we moved there c. 1952 there was an expanse of field in which a small river/brook ran, towards Monkstown Castle. In the field, which later became Mountwwod Flats there were a number of derelict cottages which we five years old or thereabouts, referred to as the "Workmans huts". As the Flats were being built the 'huts were demolished. I have often wondered who lived there and indeed, were they Mounttown Cottages ?
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

do you know enviro you could be right there
I wonder will Betty be back ?????????
maybe she might have some more info??????????
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Gulliver » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:42 pm

Enviro500 wrote:MOUNTTOWN COTTAGES.
I am curious to know where they were, I lved in Dunedin, behind Mounttown. When we moved there c. 1952 there was an expanse of field in which a small river/brook ran, towards Monkstown Castle. In the field, which later became Mountwwod Flats there were a number of derelict cottages which we five years old or thereabouts, referred to as the "Workmans huts". As the Flats were being built the 'huts were demolished. I have often wondered who lived there and indeed, were they Mounttown Cottages ?
Enviro500

On the 1901 Ordnance Survey Map, Mounttown Cottages is clearly shown. They are the group of cottages at the top of Widow Gambles Hill - the hill from Monkstown Castle roundabout to St Johns Church, passing the CBC on the left. See the relevant map here
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,723546,728119,7,9
Also on Google maps here
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.2 ... 80.98,,0,5
Incidentally, Enviro500, the stream you are talking about is marked on many maps as Micky Brien's Stream. There was a small lake on that stream, just where the houses of Castle Park, Monkstown are now. The stream runs behind Carrickbrennan Graveyard and meets the Monkstown Valley stream under the road in a gully on Pakenham Road, and through that gully to the sea.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Enviro500 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:35 pm

GULLIVER,
I remember that lake on the grounds of "Wheeler's Castle" (Monkstown Castle) and there was also a large walnut three there also. Manys the time we had brown fingers from collectinmg them..This wouls be around 1955-59.. The brook was often 'dammend' by us boys before the Mountwood Flats were built...It flowed from the Kill area via the D-L Golf club through 'Mackers' which had a swamp area throught where we dammed. I did not know the name. Those cottages also I mentioned were just a few yards west of the brook in Mountwood. As you say Grammer, perhaps Betty will be back..Its odd how folk come on here all full of beans and we never hear of them afterwards...
Off out now as it is March 1st AND MY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby spudseamus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 am

happy birthday Enviro !! :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Betty » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:57 am

Hello again
Thank you all very much for all the information on the Cottages, My grandmother was living there when she married my grandather.
her name was Helen (Ellen) Ducie he was Patrick Hall. I know nothing about how the people lived at that time, I have often wondered
about their lives. The maps are great, along with the information, I will keep looking I have not been able to find very much related to either family.
It is so nice to come to this site everyone is very helpful and friendly, I never thought I would get an answer. so I thank you all for your
time and effort, I will go back to look at maps and to check the census.
Regards Betty
Betty

Postby Gulliver » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Betty
You can find the details here in the 1911 census. The house had 6 rooms, and 2 windows in front.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ges/98411/
I think this is the house
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=5+Mountto ... 8OV6_lPnRw

You can find the details of Patrick (Pat) Hall here, in 1901, when he was living at House No 59 Stillorgan North. You should be aware that Stillorgan was a small rural village at that time.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... h/1315093/
The Ducies lived at 20 Windsor Tce, Glasthule in 1901 and can be found here
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1321920/
Here is the house where they lived by the sea in 1901 when Michael Ducie was a timekeeper in the Board of Works.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 3,,0,-2.59
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Betty » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:45 am

Gulliver, I thank you for the photos and the information, I never knew Ducie's lived so close to the sea, I thought Patrick may have lived in the country, I just love the photos, my grandmother Ducie died when I was very small, in her family I only knew her brother Thomas and his family, my grandfather Patrick and his sister Jane, (John Halls children) were the only Hall family I knew. trying to find any other Hall family
is hard, John said he had 15 children, I would love to know where they went ? thanks to people like yourself I get some information.
Thanks to anyone that sent a response, I appreciate the time and effort of all.

Good job Gulliver.
Thank you Betty.

Thank you Gulliver.
Betty

Postby Bicycle Bill » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:17 pm

Betty,

There is a Hall family living in Sallynoggin, the man ,I can't remember his name used to do wedding photos and he married a lady, Anne Byrne from Sallynoggin park. they would be about 70 now. May be someone on this site may know more about them. especially as he did the weddings. I know they have a daughter Sandra, I think she is living in Holland.,
Cheers
Bicycle Bill

Postby Harjoe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm

the hall in Sallynoggin was P J hall and if my memory is correct he was a painter and decorator he may have done wedding on the side I knew him and his son Brian who played for Joes i think they lived in O Rourkes park .
56 /57 and I delivered prescriptions to a Miss Ducie who lived at the top of York Road facing the house where the Christean Brothers lived.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Toss » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:11 pm

There is a Hall family who have live in Foxrock Village for the last 60 plus years. Currently Pat Hall still lives there and operates his plumbing business from there, following on from his father (Jack?) who also worked as a plumber.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 am

There's a Hall at the bottom of Marine Road. :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Strum wrote:There's a Hall at the bottom of Marine Road. :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D

But thats feck hall to do with the subject :P
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Betty » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:02 pm

To everyone who sent information on the Hall name, I thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond.
Harjoe do you remember the christian name of Miss Ducie ? the Hall's that I am looking for were John and Jane, John died in 1919 and Jane died in 1915 they lived in Stillorgan, I am trying to find who the parents of John Hall were ? Also Jane Hall nee Bryan. Is there an area called Saint Margarets around Dun Laoghaire? this is where Jane said she was from ?.I know it is hard to find people that far back but I have to try, maybe someone out there can help.
Bicycle Bill, Harjoe, and Toss, thank you for the information.
Regards Betty
Betty

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:17 pm

BETTY,

The only St Margarets I know is on Dublins North side, towards Howth, Raheny, is that correct guys ?
I am related to the Hall's in Sallynoggin. Ann Hall's Dad was my Nan's brother, Ned Byrne originally 7 Longford Villas next to my Nan's

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby farmboy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:26 pm

You,re not too far out Enviro, its more over in the Finglas direction.
Walter Mitty is NOT a figment of my imagination.
farmboy
Skies are Blue

Postby grammer » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Betty
you could always try
http://www.rootschat.com

or the LDS site
or
findmypast.ie
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Betty » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:34 am

Hello Everyone, thank you all for your response, I have found that Jane Bryan was from St Margarets there are church records that will go on line soon I hope, She was Born in 1845, I have been to every genealogy site , Rootschat.com LDS family search and many others, I found a lot of Halls but since I never knew John and Janes childrens names I could be related to any one of them, I did find a women that we think is related to my Halls. Enviro do you know who the parents of ann Hall were?
Harjoe,the Miss Ducie you spoke of I believe is my father's aunt, my grandmother was Helen Ducie.
Again I thank you all very much.
Regards Betty
Betty

Postby Harjoe » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Sorry Betty i only knew her from delivering to her house and I was only 13 /14 so it was around 1955/56 from my memory she was a small stout lady with gray hair at the time but maybe she was tall and thin as at that time i was not into womans bodies got to notice them a little later. much to my sorrow.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:53 pm

Betty,

Ann Hall (nee Byrne) is my second cousin and her parents were Ned and Emmy Byrne. Ned Byrne was my Grandma's brother, born in Kill/Sallynoggin Dun Laoghaire (was called KINGSTOWN prior to 1922).area prior to 1910.
My Grandma was born 1900 (Martha) and uncle not too sure but possibly 1906, His actual name was Edward. If you go to Iirsh census 1901 and check out John Byrne of Sallynoggin Road the dates are given .Hope this helps you.

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Betty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:58 pm

Hello Harjoe, thank you again for taking the time to respond, sorry to say the only Ducie I ever met was a brother of your Miss Ducie,he live with his family not far from where I lived as a child,but they were my father's family.
Thanks again Betty
Betty

Postby Betty » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Hello Envio, I have been busy, I had to get some things sorted out, anyway I will look at the census over the weekend
who knows what I will find. I sent an e-mail to St Andrews in Westland Row they couldn't help me but gave the phone number to the Chapel, so maybe they can help me.
As always thank you.
Betty
Betty

Return to GENEALOGY