Kingstown Seamen 1918

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Kingstown Seamen 1918

Postby Mariner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:08 pm

I would appreciate some opinions and feedback on this issue. When the Museum reopens there will be a number of fixed themes (or exhibits); which will rotate slowly and one which will rotate more frequently. The themes are currently being selected. I would like some opinions on one possible theme.
During the 1914-1918 war there was a problem with young men dodging conscription. One way to do this was to claim to be a seaman. It was discovered that some Grimsby trawlers had up to a hundred registered crewmen. To prevent this abuse the UK government ordered identity papers for all seamen to include a photograph. Copies are archived in Southampton. Even though we didn’t have conscription, seamen here were obliged to have cards and therefore their photos were preserved.
David Snook (assistant research officer with the MII) has trawled through these archives and will be back again mid-February. So far he has located 290 with a “Kingstown” address.
The question I’m asking is – how much enthusiasm there would be for an exhibit based on David’s research? Would it be too narrow a focus of interest only to relatives; would it even be of interest to them? How wide would the interest be? Would it be an attraction?
Another variation might be to concentrate on – for example – the Leinster, and locate their photographs. David has located many, but not all, of those who were on the Leinster on that tragic voyage. David has had smaller exhibitions in other local museums.
And, if I may, a reminder, we are currently seeking volunteers to assist in the Museum, once it reopens.
Mariner

Re: Kingstown Seamen 1918

Postby jordo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 pm

I think both ideas are fantastic Mariner, to the best of my knowledge no one from my family had any dealings with the sea but I would ertainly be interested in any such research and I am sure countless others would be too.
jordo

Postby Sinead » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:44 am

The descendents of many who were on the Leinster meet for the annual commeration, Fr. Mangan, former PP in Dun Laoghaire is usually in attendance. The Life Boat lays a wreath on the water.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Snowhite » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am

I would be interested in that Mariner, I found David's website brill and did send away for some records.

For anyone interested the site is, http://www.irishmariners.ie/index.php
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Mariner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 am

David Snook, assistant research officer with the Maritime Institute:
Mariner

Postby Rocker » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:45 am

Mariner,

i'm not long on this site so have been reading old posts. This man has done amazing work and I would say everyone would love to see the exhibits. We do not have any sailors in the family but DunLaoghaire or Kingstown as it was know was so tight knit we would have know of the seafaring families. When I go to the Library to look at birth records I find myself taking days looking at those of other families in the town.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Good one Rocker
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:18 am

Every few weeks I return to do the family research and I just love searching this irishmariners site. Check it out if you haven't done so already.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Return to GENEALOGY