Michael Gormely

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Michael Gormely

Postby Boxy236 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:30 am

Hello

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me. My grandfather Michael Patrick Gormley was born in Hollis Street Hospital on the 17th of April 1928. He was the son of a Michael Gormley and a Margaret Roche. Now the interesting part.

Michael Gormley Senior was already dead by the time his son was born. He had been killed on the 24th of November 1927 after being hit by a car. After searching on an online archive I found the following articles

If anybody had any info about the crash or the family I would love to hear from you. Any idea where Michael and Margaret would have married in the area

Also, Michael Gormleys job was as Dairy Clerk and in the article it says he worked for a Mr M.F. O'Brien, any idea what dairy this was?

There is also a story in the family that Michaels brother married a sister of Margaret Roche.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Boxy236

Re: Michael Gormely

Postby brandy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Boxy236, Just read your post Re-Michael Gormley, I lived in St Brigids park Foxrock and was friends with a lad called Michael Gormley
we went to school together, he also had an older brother(cant recall his name) they were still living there when i left in 1972.
There fathers name was also Michael, just might be one of the same family.There is also a Roach connection to the family, Michaels uncle was a career Soldier stationed in Dublin.
brandy

Postby jordo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi Boxy and welcome to the Site.
A country wide search for Margaret Roche failed to produce any results for me whereas a Michael Gormley (aged 2) is shown living at house number 46.7 Foxrock. A mistake I made was looking for my parents marriage cert from my mothers parish without success only to discover from the offices of the Government Records Offices BMD section that she was married in Glasthule church, the parish in which she worked as a domestic.
Here is a link to the G R O offices, they have offices in the Ilac Centre if you are local, if not you can contact their offices in Roscommon.
A five year search costs €2:00 as you do not have an exact date??? and a copy of the cert a further €4:00, it might save you a lot of leg work.

As a matter of interest, what date was that newspaper article as I am unable to find it.
jordo

Postby Strum » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:04 pm

Welcome to the site Boxy. Hope you can find what you're looking for. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Boxy236 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:34 am

brandy wrote:Hi Boxy236, Just read your post Re-Michael Gormley, I lived in St Brigids park Foxrock and was friends with a lad called Michael Gormley
we went to school together, he also had an older brother(cant recall his name) they were still living there when i left in 1972.
There fathers name was also Michael, just might be one of the same family.There is also a Roach connection to the family, Michaels uncle was a career Soldier stationed in Dublin.

Unfortunately I know very little about my grandfathers family, he was the only child in his family, but the other gormleys may well be cousins.
Boxy236

Postby Boxy236 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:56 am

jordo wrote:Hi Boxy and welcome to the Site.
A country wide search for Margaret Roche failed to produce any results for me whereas a Michael Gormley (aged 2) is shown living at house number 46.7 Foxrock. A mistake I made was looking for my parents marriage cert from my mothers parish without success only to discover from the offices of the Government Records Offices BMD section that she was married in Glasthule church, the parish in which she worked as a domestic.
Here is a link to the G R O offices, they have offices in the Ilac Centre if you are local, if not you can contact their offices in Roscommon.
A five year search costs €2:00 as you do not have an exact date??? and a copy of the cert a further €4:00, it might save you a lot of leg work.

As a matter of interest, what date was that newspaper article as I am unable to find it.

Thanks for that Jordo. Did you get the info from the 1911 census? if so i think that is the one i assumed to be Michael Gormley, living with a Patrick and Bridget Gormley?

Unfortunately im not local, but I shall be in the area next month so will have into getting a marriage cert for Michael Gormley and Margaret Mary Roche.

When i found the articles i had saved them with the dates, but unfortunately changed the name for some reason which now escapes me, the second one appeared in the week my great grandfather was killed, the other one in late dec/January 1928.

I also found this article.

And although i never saved it, its seem that Victor Morris crashed his car again a few years later, putting it on its roof.

One last thing that may or not ring a bell. Apparently Michaels brother was married to a sister of Margaret Mary Roche, not all that shocking but Margaret Mary Roche was meant to have been engaged to Michaels brother, who went with the other sister instead :shock: Could be nonsense of course

Thank you for the welcome strum :D

Any more info about anything related greately appreciated
Boxy236

Postby jordo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:29 pm

That's the very one Boxy and using Edward in the 1901 search you will find them living in Kilmacanogue. I know this is no help to you in your search and as I said the marriage cert from GRO will be your best bet.
You could also lodge a search for your Gran on Rootschat, they are very helpful over there and if she was born in England someone will have access to their census.
Let's know how you get on.
jordo

Postby Boxy236 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:40 pm

I will do Jordo, im over in Dublin next month so I want to spend a day in the records office anyhows, otherwise i would have ordered the wedding certificate for my Great grandparents in the Cabinteely area and hoped for the best
Boxy236

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Welcome aboard Boxy236,

I went to Tech School Eblana Av, with Mick Gormley from St Fintans Pk near Foxrock, Deansgrange area 1962-64. We were 16 then.
Mick's Dad drove the 46a bus from Donnybrook Garage for years . Hope that helps you in your endeavours....
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Toss » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:48 pm

brandy wrote:Hi Boxy236, Just read your post Re-Michael Gormley, I lived in St Brigids park Foxrock and was friends with a lad called Michael Gormley

The brothers name may Nicholas who worked as a barman and lives in shakill last I heard ..... may be of help.

The Roach connection is Peter Roach (rip) and I think some of the family are still in Brigids Park.

Best of luck with your search.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Return to GENEALOGY