Heritage Week 21st 28th August 2010

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Heritage Week 21st 28th August 2010

Postby jordo » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Combine the launch with free tour of cemetery and museum

Heritage Week at Glasnevin Museum 2010
Heritage Week 21st -29th of August
To celebrate Heritage Week Glasnevin Museums & Cemetery Tours will open to the public free of charge between 5pm & 7.30pm daily. A very special Glasnevin Cemetery Tour will take place each evening at 5.30pm and all are welcome to join in. The tour takes an hour, so wear your comfortable shoes.
The Tower Cafe will also stay open until 7.30pm every evening during Heritage Week, where visitors can enjoy coffee and cake or a glass of wine and a light snack.
The Glasnevin Trust Shop is celebrating Heritage Week with a 20% Discount on all Glasnevin Trust stock as well as special offers and promotions throughout the week.

Glasnevin Museum & Cemetery Tours - 2010

Opened in April this year, Glasnevin Museum is a wonderful introduction to the wealth of national history within the walls of Glasnevin Cemetery. This interactive visitor attraction offers a fascinating view of Ireland’s Necropolis and the many renowned figures that shaped the country we live in today. Glasnevin Museum also offers guided tours of the cemetery which is a unique opportunity to lean more about Ireland’s complex history.

Glasnevin Museum is a must see for anyone interested in Irish Heritage and Genealogy. The exhibitions over two floors, shows the social, historical, political and artistic development of modern Ireland through the lives of the generations buried in Ireland’s necropolis. The tour includes a visit the crypt of Daniel O Connell. Other Museum facilities include the Tower Cafe which offers a wide and varied menu and the Glasnevin Trust Shop which stocks exclusive gifts and souvenirs.

Glasnevin Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Ireland and was first opened in 1832. It was established as a place where people of all religions and none could bury their dead with dignity, the cemetery has grown to become a national monument and is a vital part of the Irish Heritage story. Glasnevin Trust, who operates both the museum and Glasnevin Cemetery, is an independent charity (CHY 5849).

Opening Hours
Monday to Friday 10am – 5pm
Saturday Sunday & Bank Holiday Mondays 11am – 6pm

Cemetery Tours Daily
10.30am, 11.30am & 2.30pm (Additional Tours on Sundays at 3.30pm)
jordo

Re: Heritage Week 21st 28th August 2010

Postby grammer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:53 pm

Thanks for posting jordo sounds very interesting
I did'nt know there was a Museum in Glasnevin cemetery
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby jordo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Yeah grammer, I haven't been there myself and it is a bit pricey in my opinion at €6:00 for adults, €4:00 for kids. I am going to the launch of Ray Bteson's They Died at Pearse's Side on the 24th and will have a look then and try get a few photos and you can decide whether it is worth the trip.
I passed the cemetery today and would have to say it looks a bit gawdy with the very large, permanent advertising hoarding at the main entrance for the tours, café and museum.
jordo

Postby grammer » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Its funny since you posted this article -

I have seen a small coach painted up -tours of Croke Park Gasnevin Museum-

think I'll wait for your report :) :) :)
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:10 pm

jordo wrote:...it looks a bit gawdy with the very large, permanent advertising hoarding at the main entrance for the tours, café and museum.

My gaudy, sounds like disneyland or something, anything BUT a Cemetery. :D

Can't wait to see what the Museum holds.
Strum
Administrator

Return to GENEALOGY