William Duffy

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

William Duffy

Postby Billy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi all,

Calling any of you Dun Laoire/Blackrock historians out there!

My grandfather was one William Duffy, late of 8 Monkstown Road, Blackrock. He died on November 25, 1954, was married to Josephine ( nee Dowd ) Duffy who died on March 22 1960. They had 3 children. Hugh, who died on January 31 1970, Jack who died In February 1974 and my mother, Geraldine who is still with me, aged 82 years young.

William was a prominent member of F Company, 6th Battalion, Blackrock Brigade of the old IRB and fought against the tyranny of the Black and Tans in Blackrock and Deansgrange. Later, he went to work for The Land Commission from where he retired. He lived most of his married life at the above address.

I was born in 1958 and so never knew either of my grandparents, being a baby when granny died. I am fascinated by who Willie Duffy was and what he did. I would love to know more about his 'active days' in Blackrock and any information anyone can get for me would be most appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Billy.
Billy

Re: William Duffy

Postby Strum » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:08 pm

I hope you find some answers Billy. Welcome to the site. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Billy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Thanks, Strum. Wonder why it took me so long to find this wonderful site. Sure would be nice to get some information.
Best. ;) ;) ;)
Billy

Postby jordo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi Billy and welcome to the Site.

One of our members Jay is currently researching the 'activities' during that period and he might be of some help to you.

Here is a link to his post.

http://www.dunlaoghairecounty.ie/viewto ... 48&start=0

Also note the advice given by Sinéad re Army Records etc.

The best of luck with your search, maybe you will keep us informed of your progress and anything I am lucky enough to uncover I will post it here so do please keep in touch.
jordo

Postby Sinead » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:03 pm

You should write to the Land Commission as they would have pension records, Army Records in Galway is also another good source of informaion.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Billy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi Sinead,

Many thanks for this advice. Go easy. Credit Unions are also very close to my heart!

Billy.
Billy

Postby Jay » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Billy, thanks for getting in touch. I haven't been on the forum for some time, as I'm one of the users that drops in from time to time... :oops:

I recently had in my possession, the actual Company Roll of Officers & Volunteers from the 'F' Company (Deansgrange) 6th Battalion, South Dublin Brigade dated 11th July 1921. This was a copy drawn up after the War of Independence by John Nolan who was a section commander in F Company. I'm sorry to say I had to give it back to its owner and no longer have it.

;) But I did take a photocopy of this list, and I can see there is a William Duffy from Temple Hill, Blackrock within its roll. However Billy, the list does not go into activities of the unit or Volunteers and I can tell you nothing of William's involvement. I also had the pleasure to listen to a number of audiotapes, which were recorded at a meeting of former Volunteers and Officers of the Deansgrange Company in 1959. The tapes do not go into too much detail of the actions carried out or who was involved during that time.

I can tell you for certain that Deansgrange and Blackrock saw the highest level of activity within the 6th Battalion and quite a number of actions were carried out by F Coy members. To go into it here would take a bit of time and to be honest would upset ideas I have for the future. I hope you understand.

I have no information on William himself but if I do learn anything I will let you know right away. I will however pass any details I have of the incidences I’ve mentioned, onto you personally, if you would like?
William would most likely have taken part in the bulk of actions, in one way or another, as Volunteers who were not proven themselves were expelled from the IRA.

I hope this gives you something to go on, and maybe will lead you to other, more informative ends…

Keep up the research Billy, I have found from experience that when you have exhausted all avenues, things will raise their head when you least expect them to and lead you on another track.

Jamie.
Jay
Stellar Member

Postby Strum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:46 pm

Nice one Jay, very informative.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Billy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 am

HI Jay,

Many many thanks for this information. You are very kind and thoughtful to be so expansive. I sincerely appreciate this and it will inspire me to continue with 'the dig'. If you can, please pass on any info you might come across in a P & C manner. I will treat it with the sincere respect it deserves and will contact you should I come across info that may assist you.
Best to you,

Billy
Billy

Postby Jay » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:58 pm

You're very welcome Billy.

I will piece together some of the local activities and will get them to you over the coming week. Again there were a large number of military engagements both large and small and many lesser actions like raids, holdups, and drilling. I will list some of the more obvious engagements from the Blackrock/Deansgrange/Merrion area.

Jamie
Jay
Stellar Member

Postby Billy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:45 am

Hi Jay,

Cheers for all this. When you want to send them to me, I'll give you my email address? Let me know.

Best,

Billy.
Billy

Postby FLATLAD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:21 am

Hi folks, long time no see - laying low a long time
I came across this old thread and it drew me out of my cocoon- i was intrigued by it because my Grandfather was a member of the 6th batallion Dublin brigade also - his name was also William Duffy - from Dun Laoghaire and Sallynoggin. He died in 1966
Is there a copy of that member list still on hand with Jay or Billy?
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:57 am

Morning Flatlad,

Belated Happy Birthday. I wasn't sure if you still looked in.

Send Jay a PM and he should answer. He is giving a talk in the Lexicon on Thursday and if I get a chance I'll ask him.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby FLATLAD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks Rocker- will do
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Postby FLATLAD » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:56 pm

Oh and btw yes, I have been looking in but most of my time has been at work - where I can look but can't touch lol - like shopping and women.
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Postby Strum » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:07 pm

FLATLAD wrote:Hi folks, long time no see - laying low a long time

Good to hear from you Flatlad. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Snowhite » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:21 am

Great to see you back Cuz, it's been awhile. We had a bit of a family reunion not so long ago which I'm sure Mag told you about it was great, will have to do it again sometime soon. Hope you didn't fair to bad with the weather over your way. ;) Or are you still digging your way out. :D Belated Happy Birthday occasion14
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby FLATLAD » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:52 pm

Hiya Strum and Snowy
Thanks for the welcome back hellllo
I can't believe how long it's been- life sure keeps you busy sometimes.

Snowy, I heard about the reunion alright and was sorry not to have been there. Maybe next time. No big deal here on the snow, a mere dusting of 7 or 8 inches , New York got pounded with 2 feet. Rather them than me, we got a two footer last year and it's no fun let me tell ya.

Strum, sad to see Doc left us - I saw his facebook said he was in Toronto , I was not sure if it was a joke or what, but held out a hope I'd bump into him up there if I was to visit my bro who lives there. Always had a soft spot for that rascal.
Simplicity is the key
FLATLAD
Advanced Member

Return to GENEALOGY