Hale

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Hale

Postby Gordy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:58 am

Hi Everyone
I just came back from a visit to DÚN LAOGHAIRE to see if I could find Carrolls Cottages as my Great Grandparents lived there.
In the 1901/11 censuses the Hales lived there with my Grandmother and wondered if any one knew any of the Hales, Sarah (Grandmother) in particular. Are there any Hales still living in the area? Are there any pictures of Carrolls Cottages? They also lived in Turners Avenue, are there any old maps I can get?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Gordy

Re: Hale

Postby Snowhite » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:06 am

Welcome Gordy, I've never heard the name Hale (on it's own) ....but there were Mc Hales living off Kill Ave in the sixties, the names that come to mind are Ann, Bernadette and their were also twins not sure of their names though. They would all be in their 50's now, maybe relatives ????
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Gordy » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:35 am

Thanks for the reply Snowwhite.
No, it's definiteley Hale unusual name for Ireland though. We think that Sarah died in the 60s don't know much about the rest of that side of the family, big falling out??? Thanks any way
Gordy

Postby jordo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Gordy and welcome.

Check the Glasthule thread and from page 13 on there are pictures of the lanes where Carrolls cottages stood. We know from Jay, a member here that there are photos of the cottages held by the niece of Sonny Hudson who was murdered there by Free State troops in '22 but we have been unable to get a look at them so far. Further down on the same page there is a photo of Glasthule School and the cottages running on from it as far as Adelaide Road, Carrolls Cottages were the far side of that road.
The cottages were only pulled down in the '50's and I can vaguely remember them, Farmboys dad was born in those cottages so it is a small world as we are continuously finding out on this Site.
Another thread O'Tooles Stream has a map posted by Jay which shows both old and new views of the area.
jordo

Postby Strum » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Welcome to the site Gordy. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:10 am

I was doing some work on the census today and remembered this old posting looking for hale family...

Found this 1901 at Turners Avenue

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... e/1319655/
Gordy might look in from time to time.

and 1911 at Carrolls Cottages

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/p ... ges/98943/

just thinking ..... since i started doing the family research i have met a load of people who are related to those in Carrolls cottages. Oh! if only they had written down records of their friendships and relationships it would save us a lot of work.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Dancer » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:14 pm

Fair play to you Rocker!! I hope Gordy looks in now hellllo he/she will be thrilled with
that info. You'd make a cracking detective - well done!!! awwave awwave
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Return to GENEALOGY