1901 Census

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

1901 Census

Postby jordo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:30 am

Well Guys it's up. The best of luck and I hope it generates as much interest on this Site as did the 1911 one. Gawd we got some mileage out of that, pity it is taking so long to transfer it over from the old Site.

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
jordo

Re: 1901 Census

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:05 pm

thanks for the link jordo -its been a long time coming alright -
but according to the radio today its a mine of info and will cause a lot of worldwide interest

they reckon they had over 250 million visits(hits :ugeek: ) on the 1911 cencus

so pencils at the ready --
lets go

sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby MyLuck! » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 pm

had a great lunch time going through records!
not having to squint at the old microfilm after waiting a couple of hours for it on ocassion when there was someone else
like myself after quinting for those hours!

Found a few records already that I didn't have!
Enjoy everyone!
MyLuck!

Postby Strum » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 pm

jordo wrote:Gawd we got some mileage out of that, pity it is taking so long to transfer it over from the old Site.

Jordo I'm really sorry about that. It's there somewhere in the old database and I promise I'll try to restore it, but I have to trawl through a megabyte of text...
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Nice one MyLuck, I have only used it so far to confirm details from the 1911 census and other bits and pieces I have. On the Dun Laoghaire side everything has worked out perfectly with the odd difference in ages of a year or two. My Ma’s side in Wicklow was a different kettle of fish though. I have my Grandparents and my mother, her Grandmother and two of her maternal uncles on the 1911 census as they were all living at the same address and doing the search based on the ages given in 1911 I am not getting even near matches.

The main thing to remember with this census is that it preceded the building of practically ALL the municipal housing schemes in the Boro. So when we read of Cross Avenue we must remember that the Cross Avenue we know and indeed Wolf Tone, Dominick Street etc did not exist. The census is also 8 years older than the earliest accommodation built for the working classes in my part of the town, Glasthule Buildings. York Road did not exist. And of all the Corpo places now in Blackrock the only one that existed in 1901 was Victoria Buildings built in 1888.
jordo

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi jordo that would explain one or two head scratching places and names I was looking for -
they didnt excist - :D :D -thanks for solving that problem :D
my mothers side of the family were in Sallynoggin in 1901 --so we are definitely the salt of the earth :D :D :D :D
the only difference apart from the number of people in the house on both census dates is
the house numbers -now its possible that in 1901 they lived in older cottages --hence the difference in the house numbers -

interesting tho' :D :) :)
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby jordo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:58 pm

Yeah, me too Grammer :roll: I was looking for addresses in Cross Avenue that obviously (I know now) would not have existed.
jordo

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:01 pm

I dont get this Jordo. Hellllllllllpppp! I have located (possibly) my great grandfather but the house listed is telling me that there were a hall porter and no less than 84 lodgers? WtHell?
Strum
Administrator

Postby jordo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 pm

With your ancestors revolutionary tendancies it wasn't Mountjoy was it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

At the bottom of the page on the left hand side, before the search it should give the type of dwelling i.e. Boarding House etc. I will see if I can locate it, paternal G/grandfather I hope???
jordo

Postby Strum » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:15 pm

jordo wrote:With your ancestors revolutionary tendancies it wasn't Mountjoy was it? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Priceless mate! :D :D :D :D :D

Thanks for any help, and yes paternal.
Strum
Administrator

Postby MyLuck! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:21 pm

I have decided that those happy with life didn't age as much as those with the weight of the world on their shoulders!
Between 1901 and 1911 in some cases my ancestors aged anything between NO years and 17!!!
Doesn't help trying to find them in Birth records!
Anyone know where Staffordstown, Glencullen was/is?
I have a death cert for 1892 when she was living in Staffordstown but I can't find it.
MyLuck!

Postby MyLuck! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Probably but as some of the relatives from South Dublin seem to be from Little Bray, Old Connaught, Ballyman, etc. and called them Dublin and/or Wicklow is equal quantities I am not sure!
it is definitely not the Staffordstwon at Lusk as the child was born in Galloping Green, died in Staffordstown, Glencullen and is buried in Deans Grange
MyLuck!

Postby jordo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Glencullen - Dublin Mountain - Ticknok (spelling :roll:) area??? Tried for Staffordstown on the Griffiths Valuation map but it is not working at the moment and will try later.
jordo

Postby johndle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:27 pm

I have found it not as straight forward as the 1911, Even had to submit corrections for it,
Very simple ones , I get the feeling it was rushed, But all that said came to find out how my Grandad
Came across a offally Woman , She was working in Blackrock along with her Sister and my Gran Dad ,his Brother and Sister were Living in 17 Eden Terrace which is sort of odd as they were all from Bray, Must have been the
Loan Sharks after Them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by johndle on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Alex x » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:59 pm

The 1901 Census has thrown up more questions than answers for me so far.

Is it likely that some people are missing due to non completion of the Census form? or was it almost compulsory to complete.
Alex x

Postby MyLuck! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:13 pm

one of my Galway relatives listed in 1911 is Mary Walkingshaw living with her sister and brother in Law aged 35
in 1901 she is listed as Mary Smyth with the same sister and brother in law aged 45!!
Although in their case they are all described as being able to read and write the filling in of records were distorted by thrid parties.
I also love the fact that that my husband's great grandfather was born in Dublin in 1911 when he filled in the form himself as a married man but in 1901 when he was single at home, his mother filled in the form stating he was born in Cherat, India!!!
It just adds to the mystery!!
MyLuck!

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:20 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
brilliant is'nt it :) :)

at computers and firesides througout the known world Irish people are now scratching their heads and chins etc etc saying the same kinda things :D :D :D :D
who the uck is that ??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby MyLuck! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:35 pm

something else that I have noticed is that some one in 1901 might have lived in house number 48 but in 1911 it was house number 20.
As the houses didn't have numbers they started counting each time and when you compare areas that existed on both census you can see either the rise or fall in house numbers.
Also as people tended to stay close to home you can find siblings and relatives in the same area
MyLuck!

Postby grammer » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi MyLuck
yes same here re house numbers -its also possible that the enumerator on the 1901 census might start at the top of street
and in the 1911 someone else may have started at the bottom of the street and worked up

also everyone was either a domestic servant or general labourer and everyone could read and write :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
grammer
The Spoon

Postby MyLuck! » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 am

I agree on the domestic servant/labourer description which doesn't help place what they might have been.

Try looking up one of the big houses and you'll find the domestic servants all have titles, scullery maid, kitchen maid, lady's maid etc

I have being lucky as both my family and my husband's seem to be spread across the country and very specific roles.
I have come across a tram drivers, car men!, railway men, gatekeeper (not sure if that was at a house or railway), laundress, dress maker, shirt maker, even an umbrella maker! (he probably was a tinsmith really!, gardeners, farmers, agricultural labourers (this was surely a fancy name in 1901 for a farmer who didn't own the land!), stone masons and even a stone polisher!

What I think is a great shame is that when I started looking to find out about my husband's family I literally started with two names for his father's parents and assumed his father was an only child. I have now found both families going way back, cousins living close by and that my husband had an aunt (older than my father-in-law). We have a few photographs and a bit of history but realistically that's it. His mother's side is a little better in that there are a few people still alive to talk to but it is hard sometimes to get information out of people!
On my side they kept everything, country houses with lots of storage space!! I even have a memorial card for my great great grand uncle from the 1880s! Until I saw it I didn't realise they existed! I also have a Valentine's card sent from Queenstown, Cobh to my grandfather in 1901, it can't have been from my grandmother and we'll never know now who sent it! Did she pine away for him in some foreign country??!! Did she come back and find him married to Granny???
anyway I am saying good night
good hunting on the census all
MyLuck!

Postby MyLuck! » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:39 am

Finishing on this one definitely
Familiy named FOX at 51.2 Clanbrassil Street Lwr Patrick age 62; wife Mary age 50; married 50 years!!!
looked on actual form and very definitely a 50 not just once but twice because it was put in the wrong box!!
MyLuck!

Postby Sputnik » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 am

I found all of my fathers family living in the same area of Lower Georges Street and Wellington Street. Fishmongers, the lot of them.
Can't find any mention of my mothers family in Limerick even though they were all listed in the 1911 Census.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby MyLuck! » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 am

Keep trying sputnik
I found a few people by putting the surname in the first name box; some of the entries were typed in the wrong way round
Also if it isn't too common a name try looking for the surname without a first name, the sort in order of first name and go down through the list, this way you might find that your patrick was pat etc.

For me, I just wish my relatives and those of my in-laws weren't all nomads! very few of them stayed in the same place. Only the farmers!
and as for our families history; I would have said ours were your good old republican catholic families, turns out we have a HUGE number of non-catholic marriages, british soldiers and checkered past!

So nomads and non-sectarian; young at heart, or at least didn't age at the same rate as the rest of the population; and finally the most obscure list of occupations. Doesn't bode well for the kids or maybe it does......
MyLuck!

Postby jordo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:57 pm

HAHAHA, very funny post MyLuck :D :D :D

I had posted here previously that my Great grandfather James was the first to come to Dun Laoghaire way back in the 1860’s bringing with him his wife MaryAnne and two sons, John and my grandfather Michael. They had a further eight children, two more sons and six daughters. All ten kids appeared on the 1911 census and mostly based around the York Road area of the town. It was easy enough to find all of them on the 1901 Census.
I had thought that I had covered all my paternal side through the 1911 census as my son had found a one name study containing over 6000 names and it was easy enough to cross check so imagine my surprise when working off the 1901 census as I thought but had forgotten to change the year an additional three family members appeared on the 1911 census which were NOT there before. I can only put it down to the fact that perhaps some of the returns for 1911 were found when processing the 1901 census???
The amazing thing is that these people were not on the one name study nor had my sister in law uncovered them when she was doing her research. Anyway, that’s another days work to try sort them out.
Like you MyLuck and indeed our new member Ciaran Hammond the spelling of my surname is causing all sorts of problems and between the two censuses I have found FIVE variations. Who ever said researching the surname Fox would be easy :roll: :D
Now I’m after finding the eldest brother of my Great grandfather, his wife and three of their children on the ’01 census and all because I followed MyLuck’s advice on concentration on the immediate area and finding them through a misspelling of the name written by the enumerator. Gas thing, my G/Grandfather is down as being an inch short of being nominated for a Noble Prize in Literature yet his brother is down as being unable to read or write.
Another thing that this census has finally put to bed for me is that the 1911 census showed two seven year old children named Elizabeth and John living in an orphanage, as I had an uncle and aunt of that name who did not appear on the census I thought the worst that they had gone to America without them but the 1901 census shows that my relatives had already left.

My mothers’ side was a little more difficult as ages between the census did not correspond, the 1911 census showed my mother as a two year old living with her parents, two siblings, her maternal grandmother and two maternal uncles. My grandparents were married six years at that time and I found my Grandfather with ease living as a border in Wicklow. His future wife as a 16 year old was living with her mother a widow even in 1901, her two uncles as mentioned above and another uncle, his wife and their one year old baby. Why all the relations moved to the ‘new’ address we will never know but move they did as I eventually found the other uncle still living at the first address given on the 1901 census with his wife and now three kids. Doing the search on names and ages as given in 1901 yielded no results in 1911 it was only when I entered the first child’s name that it brought his parents up as well.
jordo

Postby grammer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:57 pm

interesting info there MyLuck and jordo -must try going down that road
grammer
The Spoon

Next

Return to GENEALOGY