1901 Census

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Re: 1901 Census

Postby Alex x » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Discovered the reason for the missing relatives from the 1901 Census.

There on the 1901 Census in Holyhead. They are back in Ireland in 1911 but my Great Grand Father joined up for WW1 in 1916 aged 51 :shock:

Lied about his age but I suppose needs must and the "Kings Shilling" put food on the table.

Myluck, Did I spot you over on Roots Chat? IFor those not familiar with it, it's a fantastic forum for obtaining all sorts of info.
Alex x

Postby Sputnik » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 am

Thanks a mil MyLuck. I found them. I ended up searching every Richard in County LImerick and found my great-grandfather with the surname misspelt. I also noticed that the townland had a hyphen (posh) in it for 1901 but not for 1911. That also threw me off target.
Waken me for meals.
Sputnik
Advanced Member

Postby MyLuck! » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:36 pm

Glad to be of Help Sputnik and observant Alex x!
So many websites and so many passwords!
I am new to RootsChat but it is interesting so far what is out there and who is looking

and a message to all:
I have found when searching, in particular the 1901 and 1911 census online thinkoutside the box
children were often with grandparents
when they were they were more likely to have pet names i.e. Margarets became Maggies, Kathleens became Katies etc
If someone with poor literacy filled in the form spellings were more phonetic e.g. Kathrin for Catherine
as the site doesn't allow for wild cards think of every spelling e.g. Burke, Bourke, Burk, Burque! etc.
when typing an address leave out street, avenue, road, etc. or you'll get everyone that includes that word

Also if you use MS Excel or a similar worksheet software package you can do the following
When you have on screen your data in the National Archives Website
depending on how many entries there are choose the option to see 100 per page;
tick the box for SHOW ALL INFORMATION;
then use on your keyboard [Ctrl] and [A] together to select everything;
then [Ctrl] and [C] to copy;
and then paste into MS Excel - it does bring all the junk around the table and hyperlinks which you can delete if you intend to save it; but
Then you can sort the actual table of information by birthplace, religion, marital status and so on

You can also create filters to use the sorting options there to utilise wildcards

I extracted all the Marys in one town of a certain age hoping to find my Grandfather's sister, no luck so far now need to look at more; Mary Anne then Mary Ann maybe even Maria - and she could be anywhere really, but you have to start somewhere!
MyLuck!

Postby Rocker » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:25 am

I just thought it was time to remind everyone to keep popping in and out of the 1901 and 1911 census at the National Archives site
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Every so often amendments are made, corrections to misspellings etc and maybe if you didn't find your relatives in your first search five or six years ago you might find them now.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Helium » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:28 am

Rocker wrote:I just thought it was time to remind everyone to keep popping in and out of the 1901 and 1911 census at the National Archives site
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Every so often amendments are made, corrections to misspellings etc and maybe if you didn't find your relatives in your first search five or six years ago you might find them now.

Good advice Rocker thanks for that info. Didn't realise it was being updated, found some good info over the years, the Arklow relatives info not as good as they all used the same Christian names a lot and not sure who is who at times :? Should have asked more questions years ago but didn't realise I was going to age that fast! scry
Helium
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to GENEALOGY