Looking for family relatives

Our Roots, Families, past Generations etc...

Looking for family relatives

Postby MikeMahon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi, I am new here , and hoping someone might be able to help me find some relatives I may have in the area. I was adopted and my birth mother was a lady called Catherine or Kathleen Lyons. (She used both names when signing forms so I am not sure which was her correct name, she also used the name Kitty). She was born sometime in 1932 or 33, and apparently worked at Our Lady of Lourdes hospital on Rochestown Avenue up till possibly 1966. She then went to work for a Mrs Nancy Kiely in the Martinville Nursing Home at 23 Corrig Avenue in Dun Laoghaire before going to give birth to me in May 1967. She was 35 at the time of my birth.

She was in the St.Patricks mother and baby home on the Navan Road in Dublin 7 for a few months and then returned to work at the Martinville Nursing home on Corrig Avenue before (possibly) moving to Blackpool in the UK where I believe she married my birth father and they then had another child. As far as I know she is now deceased.

I know very little about her , but there was some suggestion that she herself was an orphan. There is a possibility that she might have been in St.Josephs Orphanage or the Dominican Convent orphanage, as they are near where she was later working.

What I am looking for is - anyone who might have known her at Our Lady Of Lourdes Hospital, or at the Martinville Nursing Home on Corrig Avenue, or anyone who might have known her in one of the orphanages in the area. I have no photographs of her , and not even a description of what she looked like. So it would mean a great deal to me to find anyone who might have known her.

I am also interested in hearing from any members of the extended Lyons family in the area who might know if there was any branch of their family tree which might match up with her. One unconfirmed report was that there were 3 Lyons children admitted to the St Josephs Orphanage in 1932 and there is a possibility that this might have been her.

I'd be very grateful for any information anyone might have. Thanks. Mike (my birth name was Patrick Joseph Lyons)
MikeMahon

Re: Looking for family relatives

Postby Micheál » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

Mrs Kiely passed away 21 August 1993. The newspaper Death Notice published at the time mentioned that she was survived by children Joseph, Colm, Mary & Bernie. Maybe, if you could make contact with one of her children, they might recall something of your Kitty.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 am

There are still some nuns from St. Joseph's Orphanage living on Corrig Road
perhaps they might be able to give you some information.
One of Mrs. Kiely's sons was a butcher in Monkstown Farm, I am sure some
of her family still live around the area.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:23 am

Mike I have seen your appeal on a lot of local and distant sites and hope that you have some success in your search.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby MikeMahon » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Thanks very much. I'll let you all know if I have any success.
MikeMahon

Postby MikeMahon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Just thought I would post an update - I have since spoken to someone who remembers my mother and also remembered seeing her partner (my dad). I've found out she usually went by the name Kitty Lyons, and I have also been able to find out my dad was Irish and most likely from the Dun Laoghaire area too. Though unfortunately no-one so far has remembered his name. Apparently they used to go to The Top Hat back in the 1960s. I am still hoping for a miracle that somebody might have a photograph of her, or might remember his name.
MikeMahon

Postby Snowhite » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Wish you the best of Luck Mike. Hope there is a Happy Ending for you.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby MikeMahon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Just thought I'd post a bit of an update on my search for my mysterious original family - After meeting a couple of people who knew my mother (Kitty Lyons) back in the 1960's, I learned she was about 25 (rather than 35 which I originally had been told) at the time of my birth and was from somewhere outside of Dublin originally - i.e. from the country. And I also learned that my father may have been a barman (though unfortunately I still have not found out any other information about him).
I also learned they had had another baby - a girl - a couple of years earlier - probably around 1964 / 65. She was also put up for adoption and would be my older sister.
I did a DNA test with Ancestry to see if it found any relatives and curiously it came up with a lot of very distant relations in America ! (3rd and 4th cousins so it seems we share a common great great grandparent - though I am not sure on which side).
So my search continues ! I'm still hopeful that someday someone might recognize my mysterious parents from the small bits of information I have and give me the missing clue I need to find his surname (which would also be her married surname).
MikeMahon

Postby Strum » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:01 pm

Not much help to you Mike but my Mother was a good friend of Nancy Kiely and I definitely remember the name Kitty Lyons. Was she the housekeeper in Nancy's old folks home? I think she was and I'm sure I probably met her many times because I used to do some maintenance in the place, just can't put a face to her but she also helped out in the kitchens on garden fete days in St Josephs Orphanage if I remember correctly. She may have had her own room there too but not sure about that. Maybe you could try asking the Nuns there today. (01) 280 3504
All the best. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby MikeMahon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks very much for that information. I am very interested in any information at all I can get about her. Yes - she was the housekeeper at Mrs Kielys home. I wonder if by any chance you might remember what county or part of Ireland she might have come from ?
I have been trying to trace any distant relatives but it has been hard without knowing which county she came from. If I could narrow down which part of the country she came from it would be an enormous help.
I'd also be very grateful for any other clues, no matter how insignificant, they might help me find some distant relatives.
MikeMahon

Postby Strum » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm afraid that's all I know Mike but I'm pretty sure this is Nancy's daughter on Facebook. Maybe message her and ask if she remembers.

https://www.facebook.com/bernie.kiely
Strum
Administrator

Postby MikeMahon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:46 pm

Thank you, I'll try that.
MikeMahon

Postby MikeMahon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:49 am

I just thought I would post a little update - I finally managed to locate and make contact with my original family. In the end it was the dna test that really helped me find them and last week I had my brother and sister in law over to visit. And I am going over to visit the rest of my original family in England in the new year. So a happy ending to my search. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and advice along the way.
MikeMahon

Postby jabra » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm delighted things have worked out for you Mike.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:05 pm

Well done, Mike, a brilliant Christmas present to get!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Toss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:54 pm

delighted for you, enjoy your new family wuu wuu
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Rocker » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:17 pm

MikeMahon wrote:I just thought I would post a little update - I finally managed to locate and make contact with my original family. In the end it was the dna test that really helped me find them and last week I had my brother and sister in law over to visit. And I am going over to visit the rest of my original family in England in the new year. So a happy ending to my search. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions and advice along the way.

What a great outcome. Delighted for you Mike. A lifelong search ended. Hope you will be all very happy.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:41 pm

MikeMahon:

Thank you for coming back to us and giving us your great news. Please do
keep us up to date, we will always be rooting for you.

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby keeper » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Great news MikeMahon ! Many happy years of enjoyment with your family and thank you for your update, this site is just amazing for helping each other.
keeper

Return to GENEALOGY