Computer problems etc

Any tips or links to good programs you may have on Computers post them here. PLEASE keep this Forum specifically for software and Computer help.

Re: Computer problems etc

Postby Micheál » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm a bit of a techy geek and knowingly let Google access some specific data for the sake of personal convenience.
But never my location. I know I disabled this.

Or so I thought

Truely shocked when I read this and then reviewed my own activity - cunningly stored on my coogle account
Literally every footstep and car and plane trip Ive taken over many many months
- even medical appointments !!!!

So folks - be prepared to wear-out the delete button on your keyboards

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/14/how-to-turn-off-google-location-tracking?CMP=twt_a-technology_b-gdntech

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Toss » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Micheál wrote:I'm a bit of a techy geek and knowingly let Google access some specific data for the sake of personal convenience.
But never my location. I know I disabled this.

Or so I thought

Truely shocked when I read this and then reviewed my own activity - cunningly stored on my coogle account
Literally every footstep and car and plane trip Ive taken over many many months
- even medical appointments !!!!

So folks - be prepared to wear-out the delete button on your keyboards

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/aug/14/how-to-turn-off-google-location-tracking?CMP=twt_a-technology_b-gdntech

M.

This is widespread and I've been down this road before and its not just google.... it is impossible to have privacy these days. Anything that requires 'updates' is not just keeping you up with the latest tech, it is also sending your information to its producer. People think they can switch off A, B or C and all is well, but unfortunately in this ever connecting world we live in .... there is no stopping the snooping and harvesting of peoples personal information and actions. Your phone comes with preloaded apps and you try removing them .... impossible in some cases and the reason for that is that its the app that gathers your info while you think its something like an innocent torch !! even the updating of you security can lead to your personal info being shared.

Its not just phones either .... your i-pads, laptops and PCs are awash with free programmes that 'update' behind the scenes. Windows is now one of the most invasive programmes out there as it offers you a huge variety of add ons and updates that most people just accept without question. Heres the rub .... say you get a lump or spot on your skin and your ask Dr Google, you have now openly indentified a risk and that info could be worth a lot to an insurance company looking to avoid paying out as you have failed to follow up with a GPs appointment.

As an example ... here is a yahoo list of IAB partners and other partners, its worth scrolling down both lists to get an idea of whats going on behind the scenes :
https://guce.oath.com/collectConsent/partners/vendors?sessionId=3_cc-session_f6c0b16b-cd73-459b-9057-81f12fb948c0&lang=en-IE

All of this falls into insignificance compared with facial recognition and CCTV .... like it or not, we are being recorded by CCTV most of the time and modern technology is already able to identify you at various points along your journey. I have no doubt that none of this is made public because it would cause uproar, but ask yourself why there are so many low angled cameras on roads, airports etc. Up till now, such surveilance was difficult to use in court as it had little or no back up in terms of identity ... however we are nearly all carrying the perfect ID card now in our phones and a quick scan will validate who and where you are.

Big brother is everywhere and impossible to stop.... dontknow
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Sinead » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:09 pm

Does all this info make it easier for gangsters to be caught???

Sinéad
Sinead
Skies are Blue

Postby skins » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Apparently Jabra has a new computer, but is unable to access this site. I have sent a PM to Strum to see if he can be of any assistance to him, but have received no reply. It appears that Strum hasn't been on here since August 3oth.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Toss » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:11 pm

He was on Facebook yesterday, so its just a personal choice at the moment.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Jemser » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 am

skins wrote:Apparently Jabra has a new computer, but is unable to access this site. I have sent a PM to Strum to see if he can be of any assistance to him, but have received no reply. It appears that Strum hasn't been on here since August 3oth.

Did it ever cross year minds that Strum is also locked out!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby skins » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Locked, yes Jemser! Not locked out!
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:22 pm

skins wrote:Apparently Jabra has a new computer, but is unable to access this site. I have sent a PM to Strum to see if he can be of any assistance to him, but have received no reply. It appears that Strum hasn't been on here since August 3oth.
he is þrying to get someone to fix the site and probably is embarassed at this stage.ì
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:17 pm

skins wrote:Locked, yes Jemser! Not locked out!

Skins, Image :lol: :lol: :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:18 pm

Rocker wrote:he is þrying to get someone to fix the site and probably is embarassed at this stage.ì

Bless you Rocker. dnc2
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to COMPUTER PROBLEMS OR TRICKS AND TIPS.