Hi from New Zealand

Please only hello here thanks.
If you are looking for info on Family, or areas or other queries, feel free to start a new Topic or look for an existing one. There is a search function on the top right of all pages.

Hi from New Zealand

Postby indodom67 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 pm

Hi

I left the UK when I was 2.5 years old in 1970 and have never returned. For myself and my family in NZ I am trying to piece together our family history from the home land.

My mum is a McCoy from Waterford. She is the grand daughter of James Abernethy McCoy whom had a brother Archibald S McCoy.
James Abernethy married Ethel Elizabeth Peet.

Andrew McCoy is the Great Grandfather of my mum and I am trying to find any information on Andrew, his wife or parents.

Regards Indodom
indodom67
Stellar Member

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Postby Micheál » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:18 pm

Welcome to the forum Indodom67

Is there a Dun Laoghaire (Kingstown) connection? Otherwise, members here are unlikely to be that familiar with Waterford history.

By the way, you have two major advantages in your research,
1) Being solicitors, James and Archibold were part of the "establishment" in Waterford at the time and so you can expect there will be a good trail of news comment etc.
2) Living in, what was a provincial centre, Waterford - you can be sure that no ink was spared in the local papers commenting on all the happenings and family events.

Good luck with your research.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Meant to say . . .

Andrew's wife was Jane. She died 4th August 1894 at Bellevue Terrace, Tramore, Co. Waterford. (per Waterford Mirror and Tramore Visitor)

Her death was registered by her son Archibald S.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 692747.pdf

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Micheál » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:35 pm

One more thing . . .

I noticed that the family home was Leoville. That has also cited as the family home of the Dobbyns (see link below)
And since James & Archibold were principals in the legal firm Dobbyn & McCoy, it might be the case that Dobbyn is a famliy connection. So its tempting to speculate that Andrew's wife Jane was one of the Dobbyns. Worth investigating.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nlireland/9723777552

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby indodom67 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 am

Thanks Micheal

Re: McCoys: I have learnt one thing and that is with the https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 692747.pdf I didn't know of this site. (so already I have another good resource)

I think Andrews wife was Jane Abernethy, this makes sense as her son was James Abernethy McCoy (my Great Grandfather) and I have a grand uncle of the same name. I have emailed Dobbyn and McCoy and have asked if they could possibly have a scratch around and maybe find some hidden history.

I am only beginning to understand the map of Ireland, but I believe I have a Samuel Vallis Peet from Dublin, this was discussed a while back on this site. And possibly a John Winckworth of the 75th Regiment.

Presently tracing the Vallis's from Poole to Waterford via the marriage of Love Vallis to William Peet. A couple generations down the Peet's join the McCoy's via the marriage of my great grandmother Ethel Elizabeth Peet to James Abernethy McCoy. The McCoy's line cools down pretty quick, so I was just putting it out there.

Thanks again Micheal
Regards Indodom
indodom67
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 am

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:35 pm

Welcome Dom, glad you got it sorted and sorry about the posting glitch, but I think you got what I meant in the email. thumbright
Strum
Administrator

Postby indodom67 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks Rocker

3 months ago I knew not one bit of my family history, and the link you posted is what first set me off on my journey.
And thanks again Strum for helping out.

Regards Indo
indodom67
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 am

I'm just thinking that the name Peet could be a Quaker family name. The records of the Quakers in Ireland are extensive.
You could contact the Quakers (Society of Friends) at

https://quakers-in-ireland.ie/contact/

and see if they could throw light on the family.

There is another great English site which I use www.rootschat.org with very helpful contributors who love a challenge.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Snowhite » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 pm

Rocker wrote:you have probably seen this site

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/R ... ersM3.html

They are my husbands Grandfather John Wentworth and his brother James Abernethy. Welcome to the site indodom67 ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby indodom67 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:51 am

Thanks Rocker

Another couple of sites I have not looked into. Thanks again.

Indo
indodom67
Stellar Member

Postby Snowhite » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:34 pm

Rocker wrote:I'm just thinking that the name Peet could be a Quaker family name. The records of the Quakers in Ireland are extensive.
You could contact the Quakers (Society of Friends) at

https://quakers-in-ireland.ie/contact/

and see if they could throw light on the family.

There is another great English site which I use http://www.rootschat.org with very helpful contributors who love a challenge.

They were indeed Quakers Rocker, they both lived in Ballybrack not 5 mins from where I live now, the big house is still there but you can't see it it's behind a huge wall :( do you remember I was looking for The Quaker Cemetery in Blackrock as this is where they are both buried. Will get down to it one day.
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:17 pm

Snowy,

They have various open days at the Quaker Cemetery in Temple Hill (as part of the council programme of visits in Spring and Autumn) but I'd say if you phone the number in Stocking Lane they would give you help and information. I was chasing some distant relations at one stage and they couldn't do enough for me. Their records are great.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby indodom67 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:12 pm

From: THE Annual Monitor For 1896, OR Obituary OF THE MEMBERS OF THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS. FOR THE YEAR 1895. LONDON:

SAMUEL V. PEET. 145
Samuel V. Peet, 73 years 17th May 1895 - Ballyhrach^ Dublin. An Elder.
Samuel Vallis Peet was the eldest son of William and Love Vallis Peet, of Rock Villa, Waterford. In 1864 he was married to Augusta Driver, of London. For the period of about fifty years he was a member of the Dublin Meeting, where his wise and conciliatory counsels were much valued. His career as a lawyer was commenced by an act of conscientiousness in accordance with the Quaker traditions of the time, which was not without its effect on those who heard of it. Instead of commencing his address in the usual manner — "May it please your lordships," he said — " May it please the court." Anyone who has been in a similar position will understand the effort which this involved. The great amount of information which he possessed, and his lively interest and willingness to help in the affairs of others, combined with a genial manner and readiness to perceive the humorous side of daily events, made him a very pleasant companion and friend. It was a great satisfaction to him to attend meetings both for worship and discipline; and this continued through a long period of suffering and infirmity, which were borne with the utmost patience and even cheerfulness. He attended the Meeting for Worship in Dublin the last First-day of his life. Ere another came his spirit had been gathered, we reverently believe, to the company of the " just of all generations," in the immediate presence of the Saviour whom he loved.
https://archive.org/stream/annualmonito ... x_djvu.txt
indodom67
Stellar Member

Return to Welcome to the Site and introduce yourself here if you like.