Hi Everybody

Please only hello here thanks.
If you are looking for info on Family, or areas or other queries, feel free to start a new Topic or look for an existing one. There is a search function on the top right of all pages.

Re: Hi Everybody

Postby Zirco » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:41 pm

jabra wrote:Welcome Zirco
I too went to the orphanage and then down to the brothers until 1958 and then
across the road to the tech for two years wuu

Hi Jabra,
I don't know about you, but for me, looking back at my childhood from here, through the eyes of a 69 year old, there is a fondness and a sense of wonderment that I actually survived my childhood and made it to adulthood and beyond. Zirco
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light".
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Location: Came from Zircon, Multiverse to Dublin, Ireland, Earth, Multiverse

Postby Zirco » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Denis Cromie wrote:Welcome Zirco.

Tks Denis, good to be here :mrgreen:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Navanman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:50 pm

Zirco
My relations are from "The Farm" - the Moylans. Lived near the shops.

NM
Navanman
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Zirco » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:05 am

keeper wrote:Welcome Ben !! Looking forward to plenty of yarns !!

We used to have a range in the kitchen, this was replaced with an open fire. We also had a paraffin oil heater, horrible smelly thing.....and that was before it was lit! :D One of my jobs was to go get the paraffin oil in a tin container from the shops.
Anyway, my mother got tired of waiting for the fire to build and got into the dangerous habit of pouring a little oil on it. Well, the inevitable happened. Giant fireball in the kitchen....the cat had been sitting contentedly by the fire...she leapt up the window and out the top in a flash, so to speak. Missing for three days, came back with no whiskers! My mother's face, hair and eyebrows were singed, but she too survived. A lesson was learned, we switched to using meta bars from the chemists, this was a precursor to firelighters. No more pouring oil on the fire! evillaugh
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:10 am

Navanman wrote:Zirco
My relations are from "The Farm" - the Moylans. Lived near the shops.

NM

The name rings a distant bell....Moylans....I need some help with where they were precisely pls, do you know? Zirco
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:36 am

grammer wrote:Hi Ben your welcome
Looking forward to reading some of your stories wuu wuu wuu

Hi Grammer,
When I became interested in the opposite sex I became aware of a vision on legs that passed my house on Oliver Pkunkett Road regularly. I discovered (don't ask) she lived in Ashgrove. She was ripe, she was plump, she was divine! I would look out for her all the time. I realised she was going to the shops at the bottom of the road. I was so besotted, several times when I saw her I grabbed an empty milk bottle and some cash and followed her at a discreet distance down to the shops and even stood near her (be still my beating heart). Yes, I bought milk even.
Sadly, that's as far as it went. I never spoke to her. I console myself with the thought that she was probably over ripe by forty. :evil:
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:01 am

skins wrote:Wekcome Zirco, from an ex-Kevin's Villas boy. Sounds like you may have been at Eblana round the same period as Denis, Harjoe, Slipper, Jabra, and myself. What years?

Hi Skins, Well let me see. I was born in 1946, went to the Orphanage for three? years at the tender age of 4 yrs. Went thru 2nd to 6th classes in Primary, then three years in Secondary. I was in Eblana from 1953 thru 1961, approximately. Zirco
Last edited by Zirco on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby slipper » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi Zirco,
Math wasn't your strongest subject so :lol: as one couldn't enter Eblana 'till First Communion was made i.e 7yrs., which means you started in CBS in '53 also in your initial post you said you were conceived in September '45 as a possible celebration of the ending of WW2. Sorry to be such a pedant but, V E was 8th May and V J was 14th August '45 :oops: Nonetheless it's great to read your recollections as I'm from the 'Crescent', born '45 so it's more than likely we know each other and share similar experiences and acquaintances 'tho I can't for the life of me remember gas lighting I certainly remember overcoats being used on beds in those extremely cold late 40s early 50s winters. Hoping to have caused no offence and to reading all or any of your future posts and would dearly love to know the name of the object of your adolescent affections as she could well have been mine also but, of course discretion must out, so looking forward to your next post!!!
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:32 pm

slipper wrote:Hi Zirco,
Math wasn't your strongest subject so :lol: as one couldn't enter Eblana 'till First Communion was made i.e 7yrs., which means you started in CBS in '53 also in your initial post you said you were conceived in September '45 as a possible celebration of the ending of WW2. Sorry to be such a pedant but, V E was 8th May and V J was 14th August '45 :oops: Nonetheless it's great to read your recollections as I'm from the 'Crescent', born '45 so it's more than likely we know each other and share similar experiences and acquaintances 'tho I can't for the life of me remember gas lighting I certainly remember overcoats being used on beds in those extremely cold late 40s early 50s winters. Hoping to have caused no offence and to reading all or any of your future posts and would dearly love to know the name of the object of your adolescent affections as she could well have been mine also but, of course discretion must out, so looking forward to your next post!!!

Yes Slipper, you are spot on....maths never was my strong suit. Forgot from birth age to 4 yrs old when entering the Orphanage. Thank you Slipper, I see you are paying attention wuu
I also am in disgrace re my Second World War reflection. I bow to your more factual input and promise to try harder ;)
My Catholic upbringing is kicking in, I feel so worthless, so shameful, so small, ......hold on, I'm an atheist now, so forget all that **** and move on :mrgreen:
I have edited the original post to reflect hopefully the real timeline.
I remember her family name and In hindsight I thank her for lighting up my days back then.
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Sinead wrote:Welcome aboard Ben Zirco great to hear from you. I think you are right about the
building of 'The Farm' - I was born in 1944 and can remember my aunts and uncles
moving to there from flats in Dun Laoghaire.
Do share with us some of your stories, we love hearing from new posters. If you
have been a guest on the site you will know we are full of banter.

Sinéad

Thank you for the welcome Sinead.
There was a family by the name of Cheevers/Chivers? lived on 'the road'. Oliver Plunkett
I read recently that Chivers was a big landowner back in the day and owned a huge chunk of Monkstown. Salubrious neighbours, but we didn't know at the time.

My grandparents on my mother's side (Comiskeys) had a shoe repair shop in Cumberland Street. When I went into Secondary in Eblana It fell to me (and in my older brothers' footsteps) after school from 4 to 6 Mon to Fri and all day Saturday to cycle down to the shop and help out generally. This meant: some dishwashing, some floor sweeping, shoe deliveries, going on messages etc. I remember the local grocery shop had a huge cube of butter from which chunks were removed per customer orders. The chunks were shaped into rectangles by the assistant using two wooden paddles and then it was wrapped in grease proof paper. Gorgeous butter it was.
My grandfather was a lovely jovial man and I looked forward to working with him in the workshop in the back.
My uncle ran the shop and he was lovely too. I got paid, initially 2 shillings and 6 pence rising quickly to ten shillings a week.
On a Saturday night around 7p.m. on the way home on my bike I used to drop into Cassoni's chipper and splurge.
I'd get a bottle of lemonade, a bag of chips and sweets.....heaven!
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Toss » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:14 pm

Zirco wrote:I console myself with the thought that she was probably over ripe by forty. :evil:

Oh My .... what an interesting thought, at what age does lamb become mutton ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Zirco wrote:
keeper wrote:Welcome Ben !! Looking forward to plenty of yarns !!

A lesson was learned, we switched to using meta bars from the chemists, this was a precursor to firelighters. No more pouring oil on the fire! evillaugh

I remember Meta bars - you could also mix them with a bit of oatmeal to kill the caterpillars
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby slipper » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:38 pm

Great recollections Zirco,
I share a lot of memories of a very similar childhood & youth i.e. earning sweet money by running errands and going for messages for some of our older neighbours and I remember Comiskey's shoe repair shop but I can't recall you or brother.But I guess that's just age taking its toll,and I can smell Cassoni's chipper as I read your post which evokes great feelings of nostalgia in me. If you feel so inclined you could give a clue to your identity via your initials or alternatively -again if so inclined- PM me as I'm certain I must know you because of the closeness of our ages and neighbourhood.
slipper
Advanced Member

Postby Rocker » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:43 pm

I go away for a week and a gret new member psots and has filled two whole pages of great stories. Welcome, Welcome Zirco.

Here is a bit of nonsence. My mother was always vague on her family details, her father had been an orphen reared by an Uncle Dick ( a bootmaker ) in Patrick's St. I always assumed it was surname Cummiskey. Then when the 1911 census came on line I searched for every Richard or Dick in Dún Laoghaire and found out it was a Dick Conway from Mulgrave Street....so we are not related!!!
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Sinead » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:55 pm

The Boot repairer in Patrick Street was Mr. Cummiskey, his shop was just beyond
The Clinic and before Byrne's builders yard. Mrs. Cummiskey was a very gentle
woman, always friendly and kind. I don't think they had children.
Opposite St. Michael's Hospital there was another boot repairer and I think he was
also a Cummiskey.

Sionéad
Sinead

Postby Zirco » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:11 pm

Toss wrote:
Zirco wrote:I console myself with the thought that she was probably over ripe by forty. :evil:

Oh My .... what an interesting thought, at what age does lamb become mutton ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah yes, lamb becoming mutton......we Farmers know this. wuu
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Zirco » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:24 pm

Sinead wrote:The Boot repairer in Patrick Street was Mr. Cummiskey, his shop was just beyond
Opposite St. Michael's Hospital there was another boot repairer and I think he was
also a Cummiskey.

Sionéad

Hi Sionéad, This was my uncle Harry, a barrel-chested hard working man. His wife was Sheila, yes, a lovely gentle person. He and my uncle Tim were brothers following their father's lead in the shoe repair business. Granddad's shop was beside The Harbour Bar pub in Cumberland Street. I helped in Harry's shop from time to time also. He really worked very hard.
I can't place the other shoe repair shop you mention.
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Holla » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:37 pm

Sinead wrote:The Boot repairer in Patrick Street was Mr. Cummiskey, his shop was just beyond
also a Cummiskey.

Sionéad

Hi folks,
was the shoe repairer opposite St Michael's hospital Walter Doyle.
Holla

Postby Zirco » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Holla wrote:
Hi folks,
was the shoe repairer opposite St Michael's hospital Walter Doyle.

Hi Holla, Yes, that name rings a bell, I think you are correct. It's strange, I would have passed that shop often, but it did not register strongly, I don't remember it.
Right now, this minute, old memories I didn't realise I still had came into my consciousness.......
Climbing into the front window of the shoe repair shop weekly to clean it out of dust and dead flies....hated it.
Cleaning the large wall mirror behind the counter......the glass and wood wall mounted display cabinet with the shoe polishes (Propert's, Nugent's?) and creams and shoelaces on display.....travelling on the bus to Feeney's shoe repair shop in Blackrock with a bagful of shoes to have done on a machine we didn't have...the rasher and sausages from Hick's on the back of the bike falling off onto the road outside the Dominican Convent and embarrassedly retrieving same before they were flattened by a bus coming along......the coddle I regularly made for my grandad and uncle.....they had a roast beef of a weekend....On Monday's I would put the leftovers thru the meat grinder, add a tin of tomato soup to the ground and cooked meat and use to make cottage pie.......there was a cake? shop, Marie Basquille's, very close by. Sorry, memories all jumbled up.
Talking about cakes, I didn't like Christmas cake or pudding back then, so my mam used to buy me my very own small round chocolate cake with chocolate strands...deelish...she bought it in a shop down near Lee's .....anyone remember the shop name? dontknow Zirco
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:18 pm

Ha Zirco, mentioning Blackrock is my place. Ben Feeney was the shoe repair man and while he appeared gruff he was actually very nice to us children. We were always sent to him with broken school satchels and doll's pram covers and he took such care to repair them for us and for free.He knew we were hard up and never embarassd us. would you believe that tiny place had been a home to a large family at one time. No expectations then of running water or indoor toilets or anything really. We have got so soft now.

I am just thinking of you dusting out the flies from the window. I seem to remember they were so much bigger and bluer than they are now and they were everywhere. We were such cruel children we pulled the wings off the live ones.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Zirco » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:35 pm

Rocker wrote:Ha Zirco, mentioning Blackrock is my place. Ben Feeney was the shoe repair man and while he appeared gruff he was actually very nice to us children. We were always sent to him with broken school satchels and doll's pram covers and he took such care to repair them for us and for free.He knew we were hard up and never embarassd us. would you believe that tiny place had been a home to a large family at one time. No expectations then of running water or indoor toilets or anything really. We have got so soft now.

I am just thinking of you dusting out the flies from the window. I seem to remember they were so much bigger and bluer than they are now and they were everywhere. We were such cruel children we pulled the wings off the live ones.

Hi Rocker, Tks for sharing. As I read your post just now about the flies (huge they were) and Ben Feeney, a very nice man, I suddenly remembered that a Mr Lindsay worked there ....and his son and I shared a classroom in Eblana...... son's name was Robert Lindsay? perhaps, a lovely guy. Lindsay for sure, unsure about first name.
Also, and this is something I need to research....my grandad is listed in Thom's as having a business on Cumberland Street D/L (knew this) and on Temple Road, Blackrock (didn't know this). Zirco
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

Postby Navanman » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Was there a chip shop across from St. Michaels hospital. I remember being in the hospital when I was 10 years old. I was getting my appendix out and the man across the ward asked everybody what they wanted to eat. He left the hospital in his dressing gown and went across the road and came back with food for everybody. I remember the nurses giving out to him and everybody in the ward laughing. He was so nice to me and kept in touch by card for some years after. He was from Roundwood and I looked him and cycled down to visit him some years later only to find he had died a couple of months prior to my visit. Still think about him 50 years later.

NM
Navanman

Postby Rocker » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:45 am

Navanman,

He could have gone to the Miami Cafe which wasn't too far up on the other side of the road or when I was at Dominican Convent there was Oreganos chip shop just down from the gate of the school ...Sandra Oregano was in my class, beautiful Italian features. The Dad always gave us girls a bigger portion of chips when we were in our uniform! favouritism.

St Michaels was a gas place. I was in for an operation once and was bored silly waiting the day before. I put on my clothes and went for a walk down the pier with the hospital tag on my arm and all the tubes etc. No one noticed and I slipped back an hour later.

Isn't it great the way we remember the kindness shown to us as children. I try to be as nice as I can to children. I am bawling here remembering little kindness' shown to us as children.....

Zirco, Mr lindsay went on to have a shop in Monkstown and when he retired he missed the people and many a day I met him out for a walk and we had long chats about the goings on in the Rock and Monkstown.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:34 pm

Rocker wrote:Isn't it great the way we remember the kindness shown to us as children. I try to be as nice as I can to children. I am bawling here remembering little kindness' shown to us as children......

Yep, children were to be 'seen and not heard', it was a tough motto that many enforced back in the day. Any adult showing kindness and respect to children will always be remembered fondly, its just a pity that these days the boundaries have been lowered to the point that childrens rights is enabling child crime become a viable business for some families.
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Skies are Blue

Postby Zirco » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:33 pm

Rocker wrote:Navanman,

He could have gone to the Miami Cafe which wasn't too far up on the other side of the road or when I was at Dominican Convent there was Oreganos chip shop just down from the gate of the school ...Sandra Oregano was in my class, beautiful Italian features. The Dad always gave us girls a bigger portion of chips when we were in our uniform! favouritism.

St Michaels was a gas place. I was in for an operation once and was bored silly waiting the day before. I put on my clothes and went for a walk down the pier with the hospital tag on my arm and all the tubes etc. No one noticed and I slipped back an hour later.

Isn't it great the way we remember the kindness shown to us as children. I try to be as nice as I can to children. I am bawling here remembering little kindness' shown to us as children.....

Zirco, Mr lindsay went on to have a shop in Monkstown and when he retired he missed the people and many a day I met him out for a walk and we had long chats about the goings on in the Rock and Monkstown.

Thanks Rocker, My wife just told me I was 'soft' getting the bus to Blackrock, she thought I used to cycle there from D/L. ;)
Maybe I was soft, the bus was a far better solution, especially in wintry weather!
Which reminds me of another incident.....
My grandfather was a retired (amateur) fisherman....he regaled me often with his 'fishy' stories. For instance, in the summers back when he was younger the mackerel used drive the fry right into the inner harbour against the base of the West pier. The fry/mackerel were so numerous they could be scooped out of the water using baskets!
He used to fish for conger eel off the back of the West pier, as well as pollock etc. He fished often....and caught so much it was shared with the neighbours.....no fridges back then, around 1910ish.
I remember seeing cut up sections of eel in the Belfast? sink twisting and turning after surgery. They were boiled in a water/milk liquid.....I didn't like it, preferring whiting, plaice etc.....too many cartilaginous bones. Pan fried ray with fried onions.....now you're talking. :P
Of course, the trawlers landed their catch at the coal quay?.....Thursday night was a popular time to buy fish straight off the
trawlers for cooking on Friday, fish day. To be continued.....
Dylan Thomas
Zirco
Stellar Member

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to the Site and introduce yourself here if you like.