Dún Laoghaire Bands

Memories, Talent, Gigs, Bands etc over the years, please post it in here!

Re: Dún Laoghaire Bands

Postby Harjoe » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi Bill you are right Joe Dixon was a roadie with Miami Showband for a long while until the Sands Showband were formed and he went with them I drove the Sands a couple of times Joe is still around he still to my knowledge lives in Sallynoggin near where Strum is living
The Pickfprd Set were a band Tommy Vella ( mentioned in earlier posts)played with most were from Sallynoggin Denis McGuinnes and hs brother Noel
The club near york Road was the Ancher Club about six doors from my house and you may remember Mog Aherans group Assops Fables played there when he left the Greenbeats I never went into the place as at that time I was more into showbands and groups were taboo until I started going around with Purple Pussycat
Dave Whittron in Stella House was a mate of mine I used to run a bus from there late sixties early seventys drove many of the English Groups he brought over in the late 70s
Last edited by Harjoe on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi Bill
I just looked at your post about the Pickford Set again it was Liam McGuinness not Noel that sang with the band and others were Paul Merrigan and Tommy and they went on to form Freewheel who later became Chateau and they took over from my band in Spotlight night out in the T V Club all were managed by Dick Merrigan from Sallynoggin with whom I worked with later booking the youth club in Sallynoggin and other places.
Liam Mc Guinness lives in Clondalkin
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby johndle » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Harjoe , I think you picked that up wrong , I think He actually mentions Liam
I dont see any any mention of Noel , I use hang out with the Mc Guinness"s
Abi, Noel and RIP poor Sean, a Great Family ,Remember fondly listening to
Niel Youngs LPs in there front Room.
The Youth Hall you talking about ? Is it the Hop in the Noggin?
I use to help Ted Richardson RIP (Caretaker) clean up after the Hop ,Bingo,
Ballroom danceing after it finished, I remember 1 night Brush Shiels ,
Phil Lynott ( did they call the band Them ?) there one night didnt get home
till 6am , even the Garda came in for the session
johndle
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 pm

Bicycle Bill,
The club opposite Archers Garage near York Rd, was the Anchor Club and all the bouncers were off duty Dun Laoghaire Firefighters, Henry Hobbs etc, great little club..I was only speaking to Ben Baird a few weeeks ago, living in Clara area... He is a buddy of my brother Sonni.
Pickford Set. Brennie Bonass etc ? I think, remember alsp Headley Kaye played Knox Hall Monkstown c 1965-6
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Harloe,
Brush Shiels, Phil Lynnot, was it Skid Row, or the Black Eagles the latter was Phil and used front the Chosen Few at Caroline, Sundays
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 am

Bicycle Bill,

Correction, Ben lives in Laragh, not Clara or near that environ, Co. Wicklow..
Tem band "Them" was Van Morrison's first," Baby Please Don't Go "..and if I remember right they actually played one night in Presentation, Glasthule also with Bluesville....Ian Whitcombe, Barry Richardson, Ian McGarry, Mick Molloy, Deke O'Brien, and Peter Adler (on sax) Larry Adlers son, I later worked with Peter Adler in London.. nice guy. Antiques game and I was the Transport Manager then for European movements, a two year stint I did..moving fine arts around Europe.....We operated four specially fitted Lorries. Interesting time.

Envro.
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Bill
Ben lives around the Rathdrum area all right I was in ALDI in Arklow when this guy came up to me, Ben of course he played football with St Josephs as well so I would have driven him to matches .
Phil Lynott played first with Black Eagles and then Skid Row who were driven around by Denis McGrane who lived on Clonkeen Road ( was driveing Skid Row in the T V Club one Monday night and gave me a lift home after my car had been robbed) I knew Brush Shields through his brother Paul who I played football with down at Shels .
It was " the Hop" in the Noggin ST Kevins hall where the bingo was played on other nights Tuesday night was the night myself and Dick Merrigan, Father Matt Mulvanny was the man who looked after the youth club ( he also married me I will never forgive him)
But there was another "HOP in Sallynoggin before that the old church hall was the place to be on Tuesday and Thursday when I was growing up with Wally on the records
Coupled with that your dancing was maybe Green Road in Blackrock Friday or Sandycove tennis club if you could get in or Longford tennis with the Caravelles on Saturday if Matt Driscoll let you in and the Parocial Hall in Dun Laoghaire on Sunday nights that was circa 1961/62/63
I remember going over to Liverpool to watch Man Utd V Liverpool in 1964 with mates and going down to the Cavern bacause we knew that the Caravelle were booked to play and we worked across the road from where Brian Lynch the Bass player lived on Albert Road one of the lads Jim Quinnlan went to school with Brian so we asked some girls about the group and they said the only band from Ireland that was playing down the Cavern was a band called the Greenbeats this was on the morning of the match so we just had a look around the Cavern and went on our way until walking through Liverpool city centre we met Brian Lynch and told him about the trip he informed us the the Greenbeats were if fact the Caravelles and the cavern had made them change their name because a group of the same name were in the British charts at the time and the only name that sounded Irish was the Green beats then John Keogh ,Paul Williams , Mog Aherne, and Brian Lynch became The Greenbeats
There were other D /L bands This Village were Kevin Forsyth, Dom Tierney, and Mick Nugent, Revival with Pat McManus
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:25 am

good info here guys well done -
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby spudseamus » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:50 am

great info!! the names transported be back!! :D
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Strum » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 am

Great info there folks. Gawd bless your memorys. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby shelsforever » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 am

Wand Peace Band. Any news on them?
shelsforever

Postby jordo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:44 pm

Yeah great stuff, recognised a few names myself: Spud, Grammer, Harjoe, Strum. :mrgreen:
jordo

Postby Strum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 am

shelsforever wrote:Anybody know Little Ray who played in a band called Spectroscope,with Conor and Ronan Guilfoyle.They were an instrumental band. Ray was from Sallynoggin.

Yep I knew them well. Apart from some memorable gigs in the Elphin Hotel (Conor's) 20 minute Drum Solos, :roll: Ray was always to be found playing Asteroids in the Pierrot Club. :D
Havn't seen Ray for years. Conor teaches Music in Newpark now.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Chiropodist » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:49 pm

The Tommy Vella you mention could well have been a member of the band that my friend Paddy Rice played in.Paddy was a guitarist. When I lived in Mulgrave St. in the 1930s I remember there was a family called Vella who lived in the lower part of that street below what was a grocers shop named Power.
Chiro
Chiropodist

Postby Enviro500 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:45 pm

CHIRO.

TOMMY would be early to mid 60s...The Vella family are old Dun Laoghaireites and originally from Malta,
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Sinead » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:11 pm

Chiro:

Welcome back. Hope you are in good health.
You are right, Tommy and Jack Vella lived in 4 or 5 Mulgrave Street with their parents. Tommy when married moved to Sussex Street/Eblana Avenue. Jack and his family remained in Mulgrave Street until the 1970's. Both Tommy and Jack had sons called Tommy and it is this generation they are writing about in the bands.

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby johndle » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Harjoe wrote:Hi Bill
I just looked at your post about the Pickford Set again it was Liam McGuinness not Noel that sang with the band and others were Paul Merrigan and Tommy and they went on to form Freewheel who later became Chateau and they took over from my band in Spotlight night out in the T V Club all were managed by Dick Merrigan from Sallynoggin with whom I worked with later booking the youth club in Sallynoggin and other places.

Alas Poor Noel ( Noelie ) McGuinness Passed away on the 31st July 2010
Dont know if it was mentioned on Site
May He Rest in Peace
johndle

Postby Harjoe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Yes I thought I posted it a while got an email from John Flash Ryan in Lanserotte to say he passed out there .
cant say I knew him well knew Denis and Liam better
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby johndle » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:55 pm

RIP a Chara
Last edited by johndle on Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johndle

Postby Holla » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:13 pm

That should be a good night lots of blasts from the past ......many a late nighj i had in nollies company
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby shelsforever » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:15 am

What ever happened to Dave Whitron?
shelsforever

Postby kevinball » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:24 pm

enviro500 wrote:Grammer,

Do you remember a great guitar player from Dun Laoghaire called Tommy Vella, and what about Hedley Kaye, also a guitarist and they played in the Knox Hall on Monkstown Rd in the mid 1960s... I often wonder what became of them. The drummer was Ali Felton from Blackrock/ Tenple Hill way. Two were Avoca School boys and good blokes.
My good mate in Ballybrack George O'Rorke tells me Tommy lives opposite him in Coolevin. I cannot remember the name of the band Tommy played in now....
And by the way Mick Hughes is still shocked that we all know each other and he sends you his best too. He has 'come out' by the way, like me an avid bus euthusiast, well... it beats train numbering !!!!

Enviro500

Hey just read this now and amazed to see so many mentions of Tommy Vella & rightly so he was indeed a fine lead player and a nice guy . I Kevin Ball played rhythm guitar with him in the first line up of FREEWHEEL. Also in that band were Barry Teeling (drums) Pat McCabe (bass) Peter Dowling (lead vocal) . We were managed by Dick Merrigan and our biggest gig was in front of 1000 kids for a peace mass in Mullingar Cathedral in 1971. We stated playing relief to the showbands in the T.V.club Top Hat etc.and then graduated to the Irerne and regurlar Sunday gigs in The George in Parnell Sq .We got a couple of mentions on Pat Egans column in New Spotlight once making it into his top ten of bands for 1971 which included such as Some People ,Vampires and New Bye Laws. Tommy was originally in The Pickford Set with Liam McGuinnes and Liam later took over from Peter . Barry moved on to Jason and then Chateau . Tony O Reilly came in on keyboards and 2ns lead vocal. Terry Murray and Sean Creighton completed this new line up . Tommy & Kevin Ball being the original members . This band had more vocalists with Tony Liam Tommy & Kevin taking lead vocals depending on the style of song. Freewheel were know at this time as a more diverse band with Tommy & Liams background in Soul & R & B and Tonys and Kevins influences in the more melodic end . Harmony was our thing and we played gigs in The Revolution and Seezers.

Tommy went on to join Barry in Jason when Freewheel disbanded . Later on I asked Tommy to join me and Tony O Reilly in a new 3 part harmony pop /Rock & roll band in the '90's called Hat Trick .We were very successful in the hotel , sports clubs and pub scene in Dublin at the time. We later became a 4 piece with the addition of Mick O Reilly
on drums and Tony Quinn on Bass to become East Coast Connection . Great days indeed and time to reform again i think . p s Liam was Noellie brother and he played with Tommy as well and a nice guy . Tommy did live in dun laoghaire and i remember rehearsing in his front room and later his back garden shed . we also rehearsed in Tony shed too in the Albert College Glasnevin
kevinball

Postby Strum » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Wow great post Kevin. Welcome to the site. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Great post -
I was talking to Tommy a couple of weeks ago -he was home for a couple of days
he looks good
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby kevinball » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:50 am

Sinead wrote:Chiro:

You are right, Tommy and Jack Vella lived in 4 or 5 Mulgrave Street with their parents. Tommy when married moved to Sussex Street/Eblana Avenue. Jack and his family remained in Mulgrave Street until the 1970's. Both Tommy and Jack had sons called Tommy and it is this generation they are writing about in the bands.

Slan
Sinead

johndle wrote:
Harjoe wrote:Hi Bill

Kevin Ball here again. Enjoying all the talk of Tommy & Liam Mcguinness and Dick Merrigan .. I remember being asked to join the original Freewheel .The first time i saw Tommy he was lounging against his black powerful moterbike in his leather gear He really looked cool. When Liam McGuinness joined the band i remember him being a really nice laid back guy and i remember he loved Neil Young . We ended up doing a few Neil Young numbers . This was in the late '60,s and i was asked to join by Pat McCabe (r.i.p) who i was working with at the time. Pat knew Barry Teeling as they were neighbours in Crumblin . I was a northsider and it was great to see and spend time around Dun Laoghaire at that time as we northsiders did'nt get out much . We became good friends me and Tommy and i remember many pleasant days with his family first of all and then his wife Margaret and kids after that.

Alas Poor Noel ( Noelie ) McGuinness Passed away on the 31st July 2010
Dont know if it was mentioned on Site
May He Rest in Peace
Sinead wrote:Chiro:

Slan
Sinead
kevinball

PreviousNext

Return to MUSIC