Dún Laoghaire Bands

Memories, Talent, Gigs, Bands etc over the years, please post it in here!

Re: Dún Laoghaire Bands

Postby kevinball » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

grammer wrote:Great post -
I was talking to Tommy a couple of weeks ago -he was home for a couple of days
he looks good

Yea lost touch a bit with tommy knew he went to the canaries for a while so must give him a ring. . Somewhere on this site i came across a comment about someone being envious of his ability to retain chords music etc. I remember we did a version of Apache and it was well know that Tommy played it better than Hank. Also have a memory of us doing Steely Dan Rikki Dont Lose Than Number and Tommy having the solo bang on. Tricky
kevinball

Postby Rocker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Welcome to the site Kevin,
I am enjoying reading about all the happenings.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Harjoe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:04 pm

Welcome to the site Kevin, cant remember you although I drove Freewheel to many of their gigs including the one in Mullingar and I drove many of Dick Merigans bands as well as booking many of the places with him like the Hop in the Noggin ,Navan etc while I booked Pres Glasthule and Town Hall in Dun Laoghaire and managed Harmony Heights ,Tommy lives in Lansarote also over there is John Flash Ryan who owns the First & Last Bar in Mattagorda.
By the way I met Barry Teeling last year in Dublin airport while traveling to England , he was heading to Spain still playing gigs.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Welcome Kevin ! I was a schoolmate of Tommy Vella and were great pals. Tommy lived in 5 Mulgrave Street and then the family moved to Tivoli Tce North. I remember Tommy getting his first guitar and the first tune he learned was Apache just by listening to the record, I still have that very 45 he learned it from. We formed a group, I had bought a Bass and we practiced in his house and mine and Tommy Moran's house, Tommy was the drummer. We named the group the Vikings, but had to change it because there was a showband also called the Vikings, so we called ourselves Vikings Incorporated !!! Incorporated came from a group who had a hit at time " Saturday Night at the Duck Pond " their version of Swan Lake, they were called Sounds Incorpoated. Jimmy Ennis was our singer and I can't remember our other guitarists name Jim Byrne ????, our biggest gig was in the Top Hat, The Mountown Resident's 1st and we were relief to the Dereck Joys Showband, we had practised for weeks on end and only had a certain amount of tunes to do us, but to our shock the Joys were in the Purty having too good a time and we were told to keep playing :shock: :shock: so we started again, thankfully the crowd were only on their way in, anyway, Tommy carried the night when he played the can-can, we had never tried it up to then, but it was a success, we must have played it for 10 mins :shock: :shock: I had to pack it in soon after as I had started my apprenticeship and couldn't fit in the band and football as well. Tommy had a photographic memory, which made him so good at school, but also he could memorise the sheet music in Murray's and Walton's. So, I was gone by the time the 2nd Mountown Residents gig came up !!! We went our separate ways gradually because of work and lost touch so I'm always glad to hear about what he did later in life. Thanks for a great post.
keeper
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby Dancer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:02 am

Keeper, do you still play bass ? It would wonderful if all you guys could collaborate via the internet
and jam together. Grammer does it so it must be easy :D

Keeper, what made you decide to play Bass ?
xx Dancer xx

I was born with an enormous need for affection, and a terrible need to give it.

Audrey Hepburn
Dancer
Deliciously,delectable, delightful Dancer

Postby grammer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:23 am

Dancer wrote:Keeper, do you still play bass ? It would wonderful if all you guys could collaborate via the internet
and jam together. Grammer does it so it must be easy :D

Keeper, what made you decide to play Bass ?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu wuu
I'm speechless :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Rocker » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 am

Keeper,

What a great story. I love this site as everyone has had such a varied life and intermingled with so many people. Now that I am pushing on I realise just how exciting our youth was. Little did we think that people we played with and went to school with would become so talented and in some cases famous.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am

Bit of a dark horse is our Keeper. Join us in the Club tonight. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby keeper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Thanks all :lol: I played the Bass because it only had 4 strings :shock: and because Tommy told me to :P I had to buy an 18inch Goodmans speaker and a 40 watt valve amp :shock: :shock: My Uncle built a cabinet for the speaker, he was a builder and definitely not a carpenter :cry: the weight was something else :cry: I eventually gave it to Tommy when I stopped playing. Trying to get the speaker, the amp and the bass onto the 7a was a nightmare and then drag them up to Tivoli Tce :shock: :shock: the slagging going up Convent Road was cruel :cry: but we had a great time. Played for a while with The Spartans, John Kinch vocals, Paddy Bolton on drums Dave Williams, guitar and keyboard and someone else dontknow Joe O'Connor manager, relief band, mostly the Crystal and the Town n Country Club in Dublin.
I haven't played since then and I don't think I could again. I went into a guitar place in Dublin a month or so ago and took down a bass, well Holy God :shock: the weight of it :shock: :shock: I was nearly a hospital case :shock: had to ask a lad to put it back up for me :cry: :cry:
keeper

Postby Harjoe » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:36 pm

Keeper I always knew you had great hands pity you did not use them when playing for us :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yes Joe and Dick ran many of the relief gigs around town and I knew John Kinch RI P and Pat Bolton R I P well
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby keeper » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks Harjoe :( If I hadn't had to deal with your hospital back passes I wouldn't have so many broken fingers and I might still be able to play a bass :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Didn't know Paddy Bolton had passed RIP. I forgot to mention we had a girl singer as well, would Marie Byrne stir a memory ? Joe got her on to the Late Late Show, if it does, is she still with us ? I'm nearly sure that was her name.
keeper

Postby kevball » Tue May 06, 2014 6:20 pm

Great info harjoe and keeper Kevball here . I was happy going along my merry way when a pal of mine gave me a book called Green Beat by Daragh O Halloran . Its the history of the Beat scene in Dublin from 1964 to 69 approx. Although Freewheel came good in 70 71 & 72 is stirred up so many memories of the bands & places & clubs . I still remember and the hairs stand up again on the back of my neck when i think of my first gig in the Nevin Tennis Club to see the Strangers.I was a northsider and the nevin and Charleville were out haunts.

I met Tommy through Pat McCabe who worked with me . I was probably the youngest and did not hang out in Dun Laoghaire which probably explains why no one remembers me . I was aware of a great scene in Dun Laoghaire though. Tommy uses to always talk about Flash Ryan . In the early days when Peter Dowling was in the band he used to pick me and Sean Creighton (ballyfermot) up outside Kennedys pub beside Tara St station and drive us out to Tommys house. Later on Me and Tony (also a northsider ) used to meet in town and go out on the bus . After practise it was two buses home. I remember Tommys Mam and sister Maureen making the tea.

The trip to Mullingar was indeed in a van . I cant remember you driving either which is a pity . All i remember is sitting in a hotel having a meal when Dick Merrigan mentioned how much we were getting paid and i got such a shock i spluttered into my soup . I think it was a pound of something either way it was more than i had ever got before ,big bucks

Sean Creighton our 2nd Bass Player worked in Waltons and many a free plec we got . Again i remember being picked up outside there too for gigs. . More memories will come back . They were great days and instilled a love of music and playing which has never left me . Talk soon K
kevball

Postby Strum » Tue May 06, 2014 6:30 pm

Welcome to the site Kev. ;)
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Wed May 07, 2014 12:51 am

Oh Kevin,

That is a great story. I can picture you all.Wern't we all so innocent in those days...we never knew just how talented we all were and you lot playing music were just marvellous. I haven't got a note in my head but, really appreciate the work that goes into forming and keeping a band going.

If you are ever in Dún Laoghaire on a Wednesday night ...check out Strum's DunLaoghaire music club...there is a topic for that on this site. It is held upstairs in the Red Bricked building on Upper Georges Street ..the Christian Institute. Bring along any musical instrument and play along...some mighty fine guitarists there!
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to MUSIC