Dún Laoghaire Bands

Memories, Talent, Gigs, Bands etc over the years, please post it in here!

Dún Laoghaire Bands

Postby enviro500 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:59 am

Grammer,

Do you remember a great guitar player from Dun Laoghaire called Tommy Vella, and what about Hedley Kaye, also a guitarist and they played in the Knox Hall on Monkstown Rd in the mid 1960s... I often wonder what became of them. The drummer was Ali Felton from Blackrock/ Tenple Hill way. Two were Avoca School boys and good blokes.
My good mate in Ballybrack George O'Rorke tells me Tommy lives opposite him in Coolevin. I cannot remember the name of the band Tommy played in now....
And by the way Mick Hughes is still shocked that we all know each other and he sends you his best too. He has 'come out' by the way, like me an avid bus euthusiast, well... it beats train numbering !!!!

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby Harjoe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Just read the post about Tommy Vella from Sussex St one of the bands he played was Freewheel who became Cable and later Cheateu I used to drive them around 1969/70/71 .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:34 am

hi Harjoe -was talking to tommy yesterday -still as cool and enthusiastic as ever -hes playing in a 3piece now and happy--I know the drummer derek a really nice guy -the bass plare -singer ---I'll find out who he is :D

myself and tommy (as you know)go way back --to playing relief on a saturday night in the top hat (before the big name bands came on )and playing in the old clubs and ballrooms in town :D

well harjoe I know and remember you only drove or managed the best :D :D :D :D
grammer

Postby Harjoe » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Hi Grammer
Now you are slagging me ha ha .
Tommy was always a nice guy my regards to him when you see him I have lost contact with so many since I moved I wonder was the drummer Derck Teeling from Sallynoggin Park next door to John Fallon I drove his band Freeway as well I am in touch with Willie Lynch of the Deep Set he is based in New York and seems tobe doing well .
I heard Pat McManus on the radio a while back it seems he has moved to Athlone.
The amount of bands in Dun Laoghaire in the 60s and 70s was amazing like Pink Chanpange ( Don Tierney, Kevin Forsyth, Mick Nugent) of course Granny Intentions lived around Dun Laoghaire at that time and the Chosen Few hung around Caroline when they moved on Pete Selwood took on Purple Pussycat .
I have some photos let me know how to upload them please.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:01 am

hi Harjoe I knew that would get you moving :D :D
to upload photos
keep them around 600x600
pick a photo

go to imageshack
wait till I have a look strum put up instructions in computer tips

I'll be back in a min

oops beefstake there----- that was supposed to be a pm :oops: :oops:
grammer

Postby Strum » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:12 am

Aww, I cant believe this stuff. Brilliant band names. "Granny Intentions" Are you serious? AHahaha!
What the hell were they thinking? :D
Do you guys have recordings?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:18 am

:D :D
aw that was nothing -some of the names were really way out

how about --NED Spoon -- :D
how about later -----rocky devaliera and the gravediggers :D
how about --elmer fudd :D
the eyeless :D :D

harjoe where are you ----cmon with the names :D :D :D
grammer

Postby Harjoe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Hi Grammer
I drove Ned Spoon as well most of them were from Sandymount and I drove Elmer Fudd for a while Mansfield from Winsor Park was their bass player and Philip Donnelly lead player.
The Others were also from around the area playing Stella House Pat Whelan , Ken Tubbert etc.
The other band I was involved with was BLUE managed by Brian Tuite which was a mixture of Orange Machine ( Tommy Kinsella and Ernie Durkin from Bray)/Grannys Intentions (Greg Donahey) Paul Duffy and Eric Murrey who used to hang around Caroline a lot and with the lads out of the Deep Set, Eric was later to sing with a band called Chocolate Veichle sponcered by Jacobs to promote Club Milk.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:34 pm

hi Harjoe remember the stella -the others the were really good -and mostly groups from the north on sat and sunday nights -we used to do the first 90 mins --It was a great place and dave whitren was a real nice guy--
grammer

Postby Harjoe » Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Yes the Stella was great for us as well I ran abus service out of there at 1AM to Ringend then out to the Top Hat for 2 AM ran a bus to Bray then caught the crowd coming out of the Arcadia and brought them into town then back to the Arcadia at 3 30 to play indoor footbal until 6 am with some of the bands and the gang from the Arc sometimes bands would travel out to Bray after their gigs in town to challange us great times .
Dave Whitron was a great mate of mine he gave me the Stella House for my wedding in 1971 and I drove many of the English groups when he brought them over during the later 1970s, I drove The Fortunes , Desmond Decker, The Easybeats, the Merseybeats the Foremost,
Dave also brought some great groups Son & Lovers ,the Equals Mike Nesmith etc. The only thing about as you well knw he did not pay much but then you never had to lug gear.
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:11 am

:D :D :D :D :D

merry christmas to you and your family Harjoe
grammer

Dún Laoghaire bands

Postby shelsforever » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 am

Regarding strange band names. Anyone remember Fit Kilkenny and the Remoulds?
shelsforever

Dún Laoghaire bands

Postby Toss » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:29 am

I was not there but I know Fit Kilkenny and the remoulds played recently in Kielys Mt Merrion (The old Sportsmans Inn) ..... they still do the odd gig and had a couple of tracks on 'the sunflower collection' that was launched / sold in Kielys last year. Kielys website is http://www.kielys.com/gigs/index.php
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Dún Laoghaire bands

Postby electionlit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:23 am

electionlit

Re: Dún Laoghaire bands

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:54 pm

You rekindled a long stored memory, I was flatmate to Brian Tuite in Bayswater in London in 967-8 and and Brian Managed the Grannies..When they made their first appearance on Top of the Pops we actually put them up in the flat as monies was still tight. After TOTP the boys , Johnny Ryan etc moved into a small hotel in Bayswater nearby at Paddington Stn.Brian drove the lads around in a Battered brown MK1 Transit...Great days too, I was twenty then..Brian played in early times as drummer with the Stella Showband...early 1960s.
our other flatmate was another Dun Laoghaireite Dermot McGuirk (RIP) whose Da owned Walters Pub..Two real good guys and I hitched up with "Tuiteie" last year after 40 years and he just recovering from Heart surgery. The boys went on to better things...I think

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Re: Dún Laoghaire Bands

Postby Enviro500 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 pm

Harloe,
A second coincidence, I bumped into Tommy Vella only in May.I was staying over with George O'Rorke and Tommy is his neighbour, A long chat ensued and The Deep Set was mentioned, The Few, Rootzgroup and all the old names, George O'R worked for Peter Selwood
and the Chosen Few for a few years...Some of the group disappered Donie Ryan (Sax) Donie Deaveny (guitar). I wonder what became of those two guys...
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby shelsforever » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 pm

Anybody know Little Ray who played in a band called Spectroscope,with Conor and Ronan Guilfoyle.They were an instrumental
band.Ray was from Sallynoggin.
shelsforever

Postby Harjoe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Ah you are bringing me back now Pete Selwood managed a band called Dead Centre from Glasnevin who changed their name to Purple Pussycat at the time because I was knocking around with them, my sister was going out with the drummer whom she married later ,at the time there were not many mini buses in Dublin who drove groups Denis McGrane who drove Skid Row, The Nagles who drove the Deep Set ,Luke Keenan and Tom ,O Brien,and the band would be waiting for a long while for one of the buses to turn up so when two of the group decieded to form a new group I suggested that I buy a mini bus to bring their gear little did I know that insurance compainies would not insure any one connected with Groups or bands so after months of argueing with insurance people I bought a bus and got it insured just as the two lad deceided not to leave the Purple Pussycat .
Enter Brian Tuite who had a sound shop off S C R selling amps and echo units he had just formed a new band called Blue from Orange Machine and Grannys Intentions and he gave me my first job driving a band and after forty three years later I am still in the bus business its a small world
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 pm

Enviro
Donie Deveney from Bray is still around he joined the Gentry Showband in 1969 and played sax with them for a long time I think he is still playing with Brian Harris and I met him at the launch of a book on the group scene called Green Beat two years ago and there was a group reunion around the same time when a lot of the lads from the bands met there were guys from Creatures , Strangers , Elmer Fudd, Ned Spoon, Orange Machine , Others ,
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Harjoe » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Just jogged the memorey a little bit more ,if I am not mistaken Pete Selwood took over a manager of the Chosen Few after Brian Tuite when Brian got involved with Grannies because Grannies had a flat in Dun Laoghaire when they came up from Limerick before they moved to London.
I remember they came to our door one night looking for my sister who hung around with them and the Chosen Few and at the time I was into showband more than groups andf thought they were wearing these weird gear mod stuff I asked my sister who the F these weirdos were she told me they were a band from Limerick who had made a record and were going to London.
Pete Selwood was a nice guy had a flat in Nassau St .
Harjoe
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:45 am

Harjoe.

Give Evvie my best will you. George O'Rorke gave me The Green Beat book for a birthday present a couple of years since, great book. When I first met Pete Selwwood he was managing the Chosen Few c. 1965, George O'R was also involved...Pete was a lovely quiet man, smoked tto much. We toured Ireland with the lads, Cavaler Clubs, Dublin, Waterford , Limerick and Cork...I n the sticks, the bouncers were all off duty Police officers and they still carried their TRUNCHEONS when on the doors !!!!!.Limerick was alway troublesome as the Culchies did not like the 'Jackeens'..
Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:50 am

Harjoe,

I forgot to mention that Donie Ryan moved to South Africa not long after The Few broke up, thanks to 'Lugs Brannigan' and his mob, 'The Riot Squad', I thought they were a band.... and not the REAL Police !!!
Enviro
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Great page... I worked with a guy , George Meehan band manager out of Belfast. I roadied for George with the Method, The Styx, and the Sam Mahood big soul Band and more. We played Caroline a lot. That was a great venue. Sam passed away 2 years ago, RIP. Sam left the band and we met Ditch Cassidy in O'Connell Street, told him we needed a singer and he came on board. he was replaced by Frankie Connolly from Belfast.

I had the pleasure of meeting the beautiful Philomena Lynott not so long ago, she asked my ,Did you know Philip? and I told her I knew Phil before he was famous, he was a total gent a really lovely person. He often played Caroline.Such a loss...RIP.

We brought one of the first light shows Dublin, in the Caroline, it was exploding colours we did it with glass slides paint and a blow lamp. Super effect in the large hall. There was a lovely girl working on the coke bar..

Speaking of Stella house, The Cheese from Belfast played there a lot then they broke up Richie and John joined Rory Gallagher in Taste and packed out the Stella house. That was some Gig, Taste started out in the basement and had to be moved up to the main stage...

Some great names from the past Purple Pussy Cat, Grannies, The Few and the Chosen few. There was a big guy, lots of hair Tom Cash, played with a band..There was another club in Dun laoghaire near th Harbour bar, Yorke Road, opposite an old style pub and filling station
Bicycle Bill

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:49 pm

I forgot to say Bless Joe Dixon,,, he drove some of the big bands, :D ,,, hope he is well.....Is that the right name, Joe was "chasing the girl in the record shop on marine road :P ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Fennings, am I right. That was where the shopping centre is now.
Bicycle Bill

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:53 pm

There was another group the Pickford Set,, Liam ? sang and Ben Baird drove the van... I have to go now, I'm Watching the tour of france and it is getting exciting now.... and no I dont like Golf... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bicycle Bill

Next

Return to MUSIC