Dún Laoghaire Music Club / Jack's Bar

Memories, Talent, Gigs, Bands etc over the years, please post it in here!

Re: Dún Laoghaire Music Club / Jack's Bar

Postby Strum » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Sad to say that a tribute to Tommy in the Club was not to be. The D.C.I. building is up for sale for 1.5 mill if anybody would like to chip in with me.
Sorry to see it go and I have to say best wishes to the Caretakers of the building over the years, Liam and Yvonne, bests hosts ever.

It's a protected building but gawd only know what developers will do with the interior. Time will tell.
Strum
Administrator

Postby bugrock » Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 am

Very sad. Was hoping, one day to visit, meet you all and play. Must be another way to honour Tommy???
If it don't make your ears bleed, it ain't rock 'n' roll!
bugrock
In the Bold Member Corner

Postby Jemser » Tue May 01, 2018 12:33 am

I had some great nights down there with Tommy, Strum, Rocker and others from this site. So sad to see it go and my thanks to Liam and Yvonne, two great hosts. Hopefully we can pay tribute to Tommy sometime in the future. scry
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Rocker » Tue May 01, 2018 2:08 am

Jemser wrote:I had some great nights down there with Tommy, Strum, Rocker and others from this site. So sad to see it go and my thanks to Liam and Yvonne, two great hosts. Hopefully we can pay tribute to Tommy sometime in the future. scry

Well said Jemser. Tommy invited me and HID down to the Club and we felt honoured to listen to the great guitarist and to hear fine singers such as you Jemser. It was an oasis in a busy world. Yvonne and Liam made us so welcome as did Eddie . A touch of class and old style hospitality. Every good wish for the future to Yvonne and Liam.
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Strum » Tue May 08, 2018 2:16 pm

"Dún Laoghaire social club is selling up after 130 years"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/com ... -1.3463225
Strum
Administrator

Postby Strum » Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Some of you might be interested in searching for this man's resting place?

" (There’s a search on for the final resting place of William McComas. When the lights go out the members would like to bid farewell to him one last time.)"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3497311
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Fri May 18, 2018 3:38 pm

That is a great article. Can't find anything on his death yet but this marriage in 1872 could have been his.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... 152563.pdf
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby skins » Fri May 18, 2018 3:57 pm

If he died in 1894, then he's noted here as having been buried in Deansgrange: http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames ... comas/720/
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Micheál » Fri May 18, 2018 7:19 pm

I may be mistaken but is it not odd that the Institute never appealed ( in any habituated forum) for new members?

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Fri May 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Micheál wrote:I may be mistaken but is it not odd that the Institute never appealed ( in any habituated forum) for new members?

M.

They did Micheal, 84 euros a year but I think you had to be a friend of an existing member. They never tried to recruit members publicly if that's what you mean.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Micheál » Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Strum wrote:
Micheál wrote:I may be mistaken but is it not odd that the Institute never appealed ( in any habituated forum) for new members?

M.

They did Micheal, 84 euros a year but I think you had to be a friend of an existing member. They never tried to recruit members publicly if that's what you mean.

I meant "habitated" btw. By definition, a diminishing number of members will have an ever-decreasing set of friends; so its hardly surprising it came to nothing. Quite sad really. I'm hearing of lots of clubs in the same boat. Lifestyles are changing so fast.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Micheál wrote:I meant "habitated" btw. By definition, a diminishing number of members will have an ever-decreasing set of friends; so its hardly surprising it came to nothing. Quite sad really. I'm hearing of lots of clubs in the same boat. Lifestyles are changing so fast.

M.

Definitely lifestyle changes but the building needs a lot of work. Were you not there the night with some of the members here when a part of the ceiling fell out in the Snooker room? My Brother quoted them a LOT just to point the brickwork inside and out, scaffolding, insurance etc.
It has amazing potential with that original gymnasium at the back but gawd only knows what developers will do to the place.
Strum
Administrator

Postby Jemser » Sat May 19, 2018 1:11 am

You are right there Strum, Micheál was there the night that the ceiling came down in the Snooker room. If you recall I had just started singing and there was an almighty thud next door, the ceiling had collapsed...... well a least I can say I brought the house down. :lol:
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best 1946-2005
Jemser
Quizmaster Supreme

Postby Snowhite » Sat May 19, 2018 10:32 am

The night that ceiling came down it just missed me :o when I was coming back from having a smoke, The Club will be missed. But there is still The Eblana Club if anyone is looking for much the same kind of thing, I know they are always looking for new members, I've had some great nights there worth a look for anyone interested. ;)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...

Postby Micheál » Sat May 19, 2018 8:48 pm

So the truth is finally out. Certain members of this forum are implicated in the destruction of this iconic edifice
And at least one has admitted to being plastered
. :o
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Strum » Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Jemser wrote: well a least I can say I brought the house down. :lol:

Yes Jem, definitely memorable night all right. :lol:
Strum
Administrator

Postby Rocker » Sun May 20, 2018 9:42 am

Snowhite wrote:The night that ceiling came down it just missed me :o when I was coming back from having a smoke, The Club will be missed. But there is still The Eblana Club if anyone is looking for much the same kind of thing, I know they are always looking for new members, I've had some great nights there worth a look for anyone interested. ;)

I keep forgetting about the Eblana Club. We went for a couple of talks there and a quiz. Thanks for reminding us.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Previous

Return to MUSIC