Not really music

Memories, Talent, Gigs, Bands etc over the years, please post it in here!

Not really music

Postby Gulliver » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:37 pm

Came across a strange amusing video.... could not find a place to put it... so I opened a thread for items which don't fit with normal music genres

The "tune the old cow died on" was a tune of the early 20th century. It gave a title to this one
http://vimeo.com/28262820
"Not all those who wander are lost" (J.R.R.Tolkien)
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Re: Not really music

Postby Strum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:13 pm

Ummm interesting. I was waiting for one of the Cows to topple over and die. Hence the title. Weird concept. :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby Toss » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Wow, some guys get a load of nosey cows to come down and stare at a box ..... then overdub a soundtrack with exotic birds going mad in the background but not a bird in sight on the video .... magic :roll:
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby grammer » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 pm

I think it must be modern jazz- :D :D :D :D
good one Gulliver aint the world a strange place- ;) ;) ;) ;)
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Strum » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:56 pm

grammer wrote:good one Gulliver aint the world a strange place- ;) ;) ;) ;)

Did it get you in the mooooooooood Grammer? :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby budgie » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 pm

WHAT was that all about.was somebody smoking the funny woodbines. :?: ;) ;) ;)
budgie

Postby keeper » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Well Holy Cow !strange or wha' :shock: it takes all sorts, but unique all the same :? cows are naturally curious, if you lie flat on your back in a field where theres cows (no bulls please !) they will come over and gather around, scary, but if you want a different view of a cow's nostrils try it !! the amazing thing is they won't trample on you !!!
keeper

Postby spudseamus » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:53 am

keeper wrote:Well Holy Cow !strange or wha' :shock: it takes all sorts, but unique all the same :? cows are naturally curious, if you lie flat on your back in a field where theres cows (no bulls please !) they will come over and gather around, scary, but if you want a different view of a cow's nostrils try it !! the amazing thing is they won't trample on you !!!

This reminds me of a question I once saw ! "what was the first person to eat an oyster thinking??" :shock:
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:30 am

When we were children it was all fields around Blackrock and we used to go on bikes for a picnic (bottle of milk and bread and butter) most Sundays through the fields and woods to Leopardstown and parts of Stillorgan. We used to go to Dromartins Farm near Dundrum where it is all housing estates now and spend the day in a very "cow pat field". Wish I had know about lying flat and still when the cows came around - we just yelled for dear like and raced off - the cows would have been in the next field but, that was too close for us :!: :!:
I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby Toss » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Rocker wrote:When we were children it was all fields around Blackrock and we used to go on bikes for a picnic (bottle of milk and bread and butter) most Sundays through the fields and woods to Leopardstown and parts of Stillorgan. We used to go to Dromartins Farm near Dundrum where it is all housing estates now and spend the day in a very "cow pat field". Wish I had know about lying flat and still when the cows came around - we just yelled for dear like and raced off - the cows would have been in the next field but, that was too close for us :!: :!:

Ha ha .... that reminded me of the time when a gang of us headed off on a similar picnic, armed with water, two tins of batchelors best beans and a box of matches. We made it as far as the ESB on the old Leopardstown road and ended up in a wheat field probably right on the M50 exit 14 today. We had all sort of plans and after a few hours of running around the field chasing each other palying cowboys and indians, it was food time. So some sticks were gathered and a few big rocks to form a fire pit and cook the beans. Great excitement all round as we lit the fire under the tins of beans ...... until next thing we noticed the fire was spreading out. Major panic ensued and VERY luckily we managed to eventually kill off the fire with our feet and what water we have left. Needless to say, the beans were kicked all over the place in the melee and our shoes and trousers destroyed. We couldnt get home quick enough and that put an end to the cowboy picnics..... it was fishing trips after that (but thats another story) :oops: :D
According to Myers-Briggs, I'm a "ENTJ-a"....
Toss

Postby Gulliver » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Had a quick look at youtube - there is a whole range of cow concerts there.
Here is a bit of jazz

Then there's a bit of the squeezbox

And here is opera for cows:-
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby keeper » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:03 pm

Hiya Dancer !! yes, I have done it many times, my Grandfather who lived in Meath used to make me and other kids lie down with him to wait for the cattle to gather round, scary the first time :shock:
That last time I did it was only 3 years ago in Cavan, two of my work mates, one from Newcastle, didn't believe me, so with a few pints on board we went into a field with cattle, my two brave mates were scared stiff when the cattle came up, but the cattle just move off after a while. So, there I was at 62 enjoying my two mates quaking with fear :D :D
They've never stopped talking about it :lol: :lol: and the guy from Newcastle has shown his own kids :lol: :lol:
keeper

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:39 am

Keeper,

You are going to start a whole new craze. :lol: I can't wait for my next visit to the country when I will get the grandnieces and nephews lie down in the field. I will do the city thing and watch from afar with my video. They think I am a real thicko from the city anyway - about 20 years ago my nephew visited me one afternoon. As he was running his grandfather's dairy at the time I asked him who was milking the cows. "its the dry season" he said with that pained pity look. How would you know about a dry season in Blackrock :?:
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:44 pm

Ah go on Rocker 8-) give it a try, you could post a video on youtube :D
There was a dry season in Blackrock ok, every year for years, on a Good Friday mostly :( :( and Patricks Day, but there was always the dog show in the RDS :D :D where most of the lads there didn't know one end of a dog from the other :D but you could get drink and stale hang sangers :D
Love the vids Gulliver :lol:
keeper

Postby Rocker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:49 pm

For some reason I stumbled over this topic tonight. I am still laughing. Never got to lie in the fields with the cattle. Now with all the floods in ballinasloe even the poor cows are not out in the field....where are them fields anyway??? Living in the city we forget just how tough it is to keep the farm going....much more downs than ups but, every day they put on the smiley face and head out wind or rain and keep the little country going. Respect
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby grammer » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:27 am

Well I suppose the EU grants and checks that keep coming thru' the door help keep the smile on their faces.
Grow it -you get paid and subsidised
dont grow it and you maybe get more
why would'nt you keep smiling
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Micheál » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:52 am

grammer wrote:Well I suppose the EU grants and checks that keep coming thru' the door help keep the smile on their faces.
Grow it -you get paid and subsidised
dont grow it and you maybe get more
why would'nt you keep smiling

:D :D
Notice how they really got in a tizzy when the bridge collapsed? Cant get to Mass? Or the Pub?
Not on youre nanny. They are terrified the postman wont get through with the cheque. :D
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Gulliver » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:23 am

As one with an agricultural background, and coming from Athlone, I think I can comment on flooding of land.
Fifty years ago, many rivers were managed much more effectively. The capacity of rivers was increased by regular dredging, and this drained the land much better. Dredging deepened the river, and also removed weeds, reeds, silt, and rubbish from the river bed. Then we entered an age of wildlife conservation when dredging became a bad word and is seldom done nowadays. With reed beds and other vegetative growth as well as silting etc., the capacity of rivers to take away water is now much less. The Shannon itself is not significantly dredged. It is a slow-flowing river and there are various management points along it. The chief one is at Ardnacrusha, and is controlled for electricity generation. If flooding upriver is anticipated, then additional water can be released - but this is not done effectively. There is a weir at Athlone which controls levels upriver from there, and you never see any significant flooding from the Shannon north of that point.
It's all about effective control and the conflict with wildlife conservation. If my farm or house was flooded, I know which side I'd be on.
Gulliver
A Dun Laoghaire Sunset

Postby Sinead » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Lack of dredging is the main problem. The rivers have not burst their
banks, they have overflowed them.
Micheal, you are a right cynic - do you not see good in anyone or any
thing?

Sinéad
Sinead

Postby Micheál » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:22 am

My watery roots are in a county where it is said " half the year, the lough is in the county, the other half, the county in in the lough".

My cynicism is fuelled by images of brand new developments submerged to the worktops in areas where no housing should ever have been authorised. The dredging should start in the Councils. And the costs should be met by those who elected them.

M.
Micheál
Skies are Blue

Postby Rocker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:43 am

Micheál wrote: where no housing should ever have been authorised. The dredging should start in the Councils. And the costs should be met by those who elected them.

M.

Micheál,
Shure twas the greed that got them.I dealt with developers every working day and they were like carrion crows. Dare a mere mortal tell them the lands were subject to flooding. There was a huge amount of "nodding and winking" going on, short cuts taken, inferior materials used. Everyone knew the planners eyes were off the ball...they couldn't cope with the volumn ...gombs like myself thought there was a modicum of decency in the country and that so called developers would build according to the plans with proper attenuation and drainage but,...you guessed it...those costly "details" were skipped over. Anyway the expertise wasn't there anyway in the first place.
I remember years ago visiting an old man and he brought me along the fields and pointed to the cranes..."It won't be long till those houses are in the sea" he said...doesn't everyone around here know that is Marsh land...yeah but ....what about the money...it all goes back to greed...did I mention vested interests...
William Allen White
Rocker
Globetrotter

Postby keeper » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:30 am

There's a village near my relations in Meath where the developer was told they were crazy to build on a particular site, a lot of people had to move out after a couple of years, because the houses started to sink into the ground ! The old timers are relishing their " we told ye and ye wouldn't listen " moment !
keeper

Postby Strum » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Well it's not music as such but have a read of this. Musicians huh! :D

http://www.listal.com/list/blenders-top ... -musicians
Strum
Administrator

Return to MUSIC