What are you listening to?

Memories, Talent, Gigs, Bands etc over the years, please post it in here!

Postby spudseamus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:35 am

Luke Kelly the Lifeboat mona
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:53 pm

I'm playing Raglan Road now, took me 2 weeks to learn it!
What an amazing piece of writing! (Kavanagh)

Can anybody tell me what "Tint" and "Stint" mean?

I laugh everytime at this verse! :cool:




on a quiet street where old ghosts meet
I see her walking now
away from me so hurriedly
my reason must allow
thet I have wooed not as I should
a creature made of clay
when the angel woos the clay he'll lose
his wings at the dawn of day


Image
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Postby Opal » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 pm

Strum wrote:I'm playing Raglan Road now, took me 2 weeks to learn it!
What an amazing piece of writing! (Kavanagh)

Can anybody tell me what "Tint" and "Stint" mean?


"With word and tint I did not stint."

Tint = Shade (not sure how that's relevant)

Stint = long period of time (not sure how that's relevant either!)

I wanna hear the whole Strum's Raglan Road tune though, can it be emailed??
Opal
 

Postby Strum » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:44 pm

Ummm...not yet! ;-)

Still trying to understand ALL the lyrics and not just sing them just to sing them...

Check this out!

http://unitedireland.tripod.com/id340.html
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Postby spudseamus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:35 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qb0u_LWU_Y watch this one --brillant!! and yes im trying to learn this one to and trying to understand it as well hhhhmmmm lol
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 am

haha Spud, thats the definitive lyric I'm going on...check it out on myspace...the link is in my signature! He was a mate of my uncles and I told a little story about them there! :D


Now Spud, did you Tint or did you Stint??? :mrgreen:
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Postby spudseamus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 am

its feckin makin me mad tryin to interpret the words -- just when i think ive got a handel on them -- i think it means somptin else lol :D
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Snowhite » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:13 am

Raglan Road.

This song is about a women Kavanagh had a fling with, she worked in a bakery called Roberts hence the referance to baking tarts, he was a farmers son hence making hay,Raglan rd and the enchanted way are names of streets in the part of dublin where he lived at the time. The other referances are concerned with poetic vision, language and licence. in the end it finished badly for Kavanagh he felt gutted, betrayed and used, but it inspired him to write this beautiful poem/song to the air of of a very old Irish melody called 'Fainne geal an lae' which loosely translates as 'the dawning of the day'.

Kavanagh lived in Pembroke St., Dublin, close to Raglan Road, from 1946 (the date of the poem) until 1958 and then at 19 Raglan Road itself from 1958 to 1959



Notes from a post on Digital Tradition:
Both Ewan McVicar and Arthur Johnstone claim it was Luke Kelly who married the tune to the words. Luke's own account seems to contradict this:
[1994:] Luke told the following story in an interview in 1980: 'I was sitting in a pub in Dublin, The Bailey, and as you know in the old days - it's changed a bit now - it was known as a literary pub, an artistic pub. I happened to be sitting there in the same company with Patrick Kavanagh and one or two other poets, and someone asked him to recite a poem, which he did, and then someone asked me to sing a song which I did. Being in the presence of the great man I was very nervous. Then he leaned over to me and said in that sepulchral voice of his - he could hardly get his voice out, he was very old ... it was just the year before he died - and he said 'You should sing my song,' and I said 'What's that, Mr Kavanagh?' and he said 'Raglan Road''. So he gave me permission. I got permission from the man himself.' (Geraghty, Luke Kelly 38f)
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
User avatar
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Loughlinstown

Postby spudseamus » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:26 am

well well thanks for that snowie -- now i can look at this poem with the right frame of mind :D :D
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:55 pm

Tint and Stint anybody???
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Postby jen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:19 pm

Strum wrote:Tint and Stint anybody???


That's known to the artists who have known the true Gods of sound and stone
And words and tint without stint, I gave her poems to say
With her own name there and her own dark hair like clouds over fields of May


could interpret it to mean, he gave her poems written about her with words and colour...tint......freely and generously...not stinting on his generosity. Artists who have known the true gods.......so clever people who have been able to express themselves clearly with words and colour, skillfully

poetry is open to your own interpretation though Strum, so as long as you express with feeling and emotion and understand the flow, using the punctuation and language used within it you will be fine!

hope this helps
jen
 

Postby Strum » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:27 pm

jen wrote:
Strum wrote:Tint and Stint anybody???


That's known to the artists who have known the true Gods of sound and stone
And words and tint without stint, I gave her poems to say
With her own name there and her own dark hair like clouds over fields of May


could interpret it to mean, he gave her poems written about her with words and colour...tint......freely and generously...not stinting on his generosity. Artists who have known the true gods.......so clever people who have been able to express themselves clearly with words and colour, skillfully

poetry is open to your own interpretation though Strum, so as long as you express with feeling and emotion and understand the flow, using the punctuation and language used within it you will be fine!

hope this helps



Yes that makes sense! Cheers! :D
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Postby jen » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:41 pm

you have to read it in context of the whole poem, and he was using 'tint and stint' to rhyme so could have used many other words if he wasnt using that rhyming pattern, which would then have changed his meaning slightly or completely

which is why it is open to your own feelings, thoughts and emotions, same as the final stanza
jen
 

Postby Snowhite » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:21 pm

jen wrote:
Strum wrote:Tint and Stint anybody???


That's known to the artists who have known the true Gods of sound and stone
And words and tint without stint, I gave her poems to say
With her own name there and her own dark hair like clouds over fields of May


could interpret it to mean, he gave her poems written about her with words and colour...tint......freely and generously...not stinting on his generosity. Artists who have known the true gods.......so clever people who have been able to express themselves clearly with words and colour, skillfully

poetry is open to your own interpretation though Strum, so as long as you express with feeling and emotion and understand the flow, using the punctuation and language used within it you will be fine!

hope this helps


Well Done, Jen think you've got it right, maybe it takes a woman to analyze it............
Men :roll: Where would they be without us. :makeyes: :rfl:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
User avatar
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Loughlinstown

Postby spudseamus » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:26 am

ahh thanks for that jen --- im gettin the hang of what he was tryin to express now --
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Kav » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:48 pm

Strum wrote:What an amazing piece of writing! (Kavanagh)



Ah sure we're a talented lot us Kavanagh's ;-)

And my Mother was a Kelly :D
User avatar
Kav
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:00 am

Postby spudseamus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:26 am

song for Ireland -- ahh me glases are foggin' up :-(
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Snowhite » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:27 pm

Cher.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFdgHuA4h8

I had to mime to this song for one of our sketches a few years back, called..........."Stars in Disguise" and i have to say I loved it. :D Dressing up in all leather and Long curly wig. :rfl:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
User avatar
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Loughlinstown

Postby Kav » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:57 pm

Snowhite wrote:Cher.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFdgHuA4h8

I had to mime to this song for one of our sketches a few years back, called..........."Stars in Disguise" and i have to say I loved it. :D Dressing up in all leather and Long curly wig. :rfl:


:shock: Somebody must have got a snap of you that night?
please "share" get it
:D
User avatar
Kav
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:00 am

Postby spudseamus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 am

FODO! :whip: u are awful -- :D :D
User avatar
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"
 
Posts: 1637
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:10 am
Location: Melbourne Australia

Postby Snowhite » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:55 am

frodo wrote:
Snowhite wrote:Cher.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFdgHuA4h8

I had to mime to this song for one of our sketches a few years back, called..........."Stars in Disguise" and i have to say I loved it. :D Dressing up in all leather and Long curly wig. :rfl:


:shock: Somebody must have got a snap of you that night?
please "share" get it
:D


Could'nt show ye's one of them, jeez i'd be banned....... :rfl: :oops:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
User avatar
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Loughlinstown

Postby Strum » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:58 am

Snowhite wrote:
frodo wrote:
Snowhite wrote:Cher.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYFdgHuA4h8

I had to mime to this song for one of our sketches a few years back, called..........."Stars in Disguise" and i have to say I loved it. :D Dressing up in all leather and Long curly wig. :rfl:


:shock: Somebody must have got a snap of you that night?
please "share" get it
:D


Could'nt show ye's one of them, jeez i'd be banned....... :rfl: :oops:



I'll decide that!!! :cool:
User avatar
Strum
Administrator
 
Posts: 9761
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:03 pm
Location: Sallysupermarket, Thomastown.

Postby Snowhite » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:03 am

:rfl: :rfl:
Life isn't tied with a Bow, But it's still a Gift.
User avatar
Snowhite
At the end of the Pier... Peace...
 
Posts: 4636
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 pm
Location: Loughlinstown

Postby hayla » Tue May 01, 2007 9:14 pm

For you Farmboy , welcome back :hayla:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i29R3FV_n90
Image Never say never!!
User avatar
hayla
Advanced Member
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:08 pm
Location: fantasy land/dun laoghaire

Postby farmboy » Tue May 01, 2007 10:46 pm

Classic Hayla! thanks for that, I dont remember seeing that footage before. :cool:
User avatar
farmboy
Skies are Blue
 
Posts: 2301
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:46 pm
Location: Rochestown Avenue

PreviousNext

Return to MUSIC



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron