Dun Laoghaire local dignatories and people past and present

Past and Present

Dun Laoghaire local dignatories and people past and present

Postby enviro500 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:19 pm

Hi Gang,

I would like to suggest maybe a new forum on Local Dun Laoghaire folk past and present, Famous, semi famous, not so famous, infamous and Just plain local folks. It would be a bit similar to our old "Dun Laoghaireites" but with at different angle which you guys may like to suggest.

That was a funny column and a lot of interesting event, occasions, peoples lifestyles were hilighted. eg. Paddy Brock, Crutch Kelly,Scoop J.
DummY Dormer and many others. More to the point EVERYBODY contributed as well and it generated new members.

Well, what do you think members , Comments welcome, please ?

Enviro500
enviro500

Re: Dun Laoghaire local dignatories and people past and present

Postby Strum » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:26 pm

enviro500 wrote:Hi Gang,

I would like to suggest maybe a new forum on Local Dun Laoghaire folk past and present, Famous, semi famous, not so famous, infamous and Just plain local folks. It would be a bit similar to our old "Dun Laoghaireites" but with at different angle which you guys may like to suggest.

That was a funny column and a lot of interesting event, occasions, peoples lifestyles were hilighted. eg. Paddy Brock, Crutch Kelly,Scoop J.
DummY Dormer and many others. More to the point EVERYBODY contributed as well and it generated new members.

Well, what do you think members , Comments welcome, please ?

Enviro500

I can add any catagory or forum you like but thats up to members.
It wont generate more members though.
This site unfortunately cannot be found by a google or Internet explorer search for Dun Laoghaire...to get new members it has to be recommended through a link to the site. I still go to the old site and recommend it to new members signing up there but thats the only posting I do now. anything else is a waste of time.
I think the Webmaster there has just disappeared and left the site!
He used to respond to my emails but I have heard nothing back since those site crashes...Sorry but I think the old site is dead and just lingering in cyber-space.

I made a new forum here yesterday for the famous dunlaoghaireites etc.
Any suggestions are most welcome! :D

Also when I get more time I may go and take any old info from the other site and paste it here!
Strum
Administrator

Postby spudseamus » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:28 am

i think its a good move --- yep its a pity we cant be googled :-(
spudseamus
"Its good to be the King!"
"Its good to be the King!"

Postby enviro500 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:46 am

Hi Strum,

As a lesser techniphobe with the rudiments of the Internet. could you please explain why we cannot access this site via the good offices of Google, as per you comments above.
Is there something that we can push or move, tweak, in order to access this site from GOOGLE.
If feel,( and please note my learned comments of lack of technical know how) that it is a bit defeatist of us to say we cannot expand or generate unless we use word or mouth. Even with those a number of us still had difficulty in getting on line here. One or two members still have difficulty I understand.
As with Dun Laoghaire, Dublin's Riviera, warts and all, we could direct access from the search engine

Comments appreciated good or not

Enviro500
enviro500

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:32 am

Sorry Enviro, I never noticed this post before.

To try and answer your question I went to the main forums to query this very thing because it certainly is a drawback.
This was an edited response to some other people who asked the same thing.

"A site's rating increases with the amount of sites linking to it and its description. Everytime a user posts a link to their board on another web site, google starts to see elitrix.net more frequently and the rating will increase."

In laymans terms, basically the site here is out in cyberspace, like having a shop out in the middle of the Gobi desert! Nobody knows you're there so you have to let them know somehow! Advertising through other websites etc. Google doesn't just pick up on websites. They have to be submitted to the search engines, so Google just can't recognise it because it is not listed in their directory, we would have to do that.

Say if we had a properly paid-for .com website about dun Laoghaire, this forum could be incorporated into that site as a link for the community or whatever and if the main site was submitted with the search engines, Google etc, it would start to pick up on the link pointing to this site...
Or if you had other sites with this link, google would eventually start to pick up on it.
So its all about advertising and it can be done for nothing if you do it right. I can do this but I just do not have the time.

If anybody gets bored and wants to promote the site please go to Google and type in "submit website to search engines" and off you go. It's all self-explanatory...I hope, Theres a bit of form filling to do and its a bit tedious but worth it if we want to get more traffic.

It was good to find out that Plastic Paddy found us by looking for photos of D /L

Hope all this this makes any bit of sense! :D
Strum
Administrator

Postby enviro500 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:04 am

Hi Strum,
As did flatlad, i.e looking for Dun Laoghaire pictures.

Thank you for your comments regarding finding the site via Google or Yahoo.
You are right it is a bit like a an Anne Summers Shop in the Vatican
or a Guinness Bar Central Riyadh.

I am sure it will come good and meantime I will talk to someone closer to me who is a gem on this new fangled way of 'postin' life.
All the best mate
Did you love the bit about the bus, I bet Hayla did. Well at least Spud will sleep well tonight.
Enviro500
enviro500

Postby Strum » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:07 am

The Bus, yes I just replied there a few min's ago! :mrgreen:
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:44 pm

hi gang Im sure this article was posted before -but if not--

from Dublin Informer-------------------

grammer

Postby Strum » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 pm

Haha, funny story Grammer. :cool: Where did you find that?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:51 pm

hi strum in that free paper thats pushed thru' the letterbox

DUBLIN INFORMER

its good is'nt it :D
grammer

Postby jordo » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:01 pm

That's deadly grammer, where did you say you found it?
jordo

Postby grammer » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:46 pm

THE DUBLIN INFORMER FREE PAPER
its put in the letterbox every so often
grammer

Postby grammer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:54 pm

from this weeks Dublin Informer newspaper

grammer

DunLaoghaire local folks

Postby Chiropodist » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:26 pm

Does anyone remember a new newspaper introduced just before the war called the East Coast Express.
Chiropodist

DunLaoghaire local dignitories and people past and present.

Postby Chiropodist » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 pm

I once got carried away on the Scotia from DunLaoghaire to Holyhead by missing the gangway . It was the nine am sailing and I was delivering some laundry to the ship. She was out in the bay before I realised what had happened. I was confined to a small cabin and not allowed ashore at Holyhead. On my return my bike was still where I left it but next day, I got a right dressing down from the shop manageress.
Chiropodist

Postby jordo » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:22 pm

HAHAHA Chiropodist, that's the best one yet. Did your boss pay you for the day? :D
jordo

Re: DunLaoghaire local dignitories and people past and present.

Postby Strum » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 pm

Chiropodist wrote:I once got carried away on the Scotia from DunLaoghaire to Holyhead by missing the gangway . It was the nine am sailing and I was delivering some laundry to the ship. She was out in the bay before I realised what had happened. I was confined to a small cabin and not allowed ashore at Holyhead. On my return my bike was still where I left it but next day, I got a right dressing down from the shop manageress.

Ahahahaha, that's class Chiro! :D :D :D

I heard of a poor sod who was out of his brains after a stag night, and put on the early Ferry with no shoes, socks, jacket, nor money just his return ticket from Holyhead...
Imagine waking up with a blinding hangover and looking out the window? :mrgreen:

Urban myth?
Strum
Administrator

Postby grammer » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:42 am

thats a goody chiro :D :D :D :D
grammer

Postby Bicycle Bill » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Sad to hear of the death of Christy (tickey ) Hill a famous football player from the Farm.
Bicycle Bill

Postby Enviro500 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Bicycle Bill.

I knew him well. He was Maura Owens (Nee Hill) brother, as they were our neighbours at Dunedin / St Pats. I played with Tommy. Emiltand Tony Owens as children and Tickey lived there too for a ime...Sad times
A good footballer

Enviro500
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby Bicycle Bill » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:32 pm

So two more famous people passed away... John Blackmore, son of the famous Gilly. and Mr. Caviston, Father of the great Peter..Bless them.... I am getting like the Angel of Doom
Bicycle Bill

Postby jordo » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:08 pm

Bicycle Bill wrote:So two more famous people passed away... John Blackmore, son of the famous Gilly. and Mr. Caviston, Father of the great Peter..Bless them.... I am getting like the Angel of Doom

:D :D :D
jordo

Postby Enviro500 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:00 pm

To quote the late Arthur Ebbs, "Monkstown Milkie"......."Ah, sure threr's prople dyin' to go to Heaven and durs dying now that never died afore boyo"

Sad to Hear, Gilly used cut my 'Lionel Blair' for years, with the Ma holding me down on the cross plank !!!!
Enviro500
Executive Member

Postby grammer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:57 pm

Found this article re the king of Dalkey in this weeks free paper the D/L Informer
sent from my PC and typed on a keyboard (old fashioned black colour) using three fingers
grammer
The Spoon

Postby Sinead » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 pm

In June 1964 I attended a banquet in Dalkey Town Hall to mark the crowning of the King of Dalkey Island and the Mugglins. Before the meal there was a procession around the area - Bulloch, Coliemore and Dalkey, all very colourful. The King was the lateNorman Judd - it was a great night!

Slan
Sinead
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Next

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES