The Greatest Dun-Laoghaire-ite of them all

Past and Present

Re: The Greatest Dun-Laoghaire-ite of them all

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 pm

I think the eldest daughter was Evelyn,then Jenny, Maureen, Sadie and the youngest Diane (I think). The mother's name was Missus the same as all my pals mammies. :lol: Sadie still lives in Dun Laoghaire,I think Maureen is in England and Diane went to Australia. A great family.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Holla » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:24 pm

jabra wrote:The father died suddeny on a christmas day leaving his son's (Micks house) in St. Kevin's Villas in the noggin
after having his dinner there.Can't remember the year.

I attended Mick funeral as he was a great friend of my parents he was buried with his parents in deansgrange if memory serves me right his father died early 1970s
Holla
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby skins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Holla wrote:
jabra wrote:The father died suddeny on a christmas day leaving his son's (Micks house) in St. Kevin's Villas in the noggin
after having his dinner there.Can't remember the year.

I attended Mick funeral as he was a great friend of my parents he was buried with his parents in deansgrange if memory serves me right his father died early 1970s

Yeah, that would tie in with my being in Oz at the time. Evelyn had gone out there before me.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby Denis Cromie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Yeah Evelyn was the youngest,I don't know where I got Diane from. There was an older sister than those I named,maybe Sinéad knows her name.
Denis Cromie
Ex-Chief Chocolate Enrober

Postby Sinead » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Annie is the eldest daughter in the Byrne Family. Evelyn is the youngest. Annie, Jenny and Maureen all had great voices just like their brothers. Jabra, you are right about Jack dropping dead on Christmas Day as he left Mick's house which was the house Jack lived in for many years. My husband was given some of the Woodbines he had.
Mrs. Byrne (May) died before June, 1971 - this I remember because I was still living in Dun Laoghaire at the time. My mother-in-law and Mrs. Byrne were sisters.
I am told that before the Byrnes moved to Mill Street they lived in Mulgrave Street.

Sinéad
Sinead
Somewhere over the rainbow

Postby stillorgan boy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:49 pm

Sadie is my aunts next door neighbour. Lovely woman. Loves her music. It's a small world.
You're never fully dressed without a smile !
stillorgan boy

Postby skins » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive update, Sinéad. I remember one of the girls wheeling Mrs. Byrne in her wheelchair to our door to wish me well before my wedding in 1970.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby jabra » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 am

Snap Skins I also got married in 1970 and I remember installing the phone in your old homestead in Kevin's Villas
in the 60's . Your younger brother Mick was only a toddler at the time.
Jabra
jabra
Advanced Member

Postby skins » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 pm

jabra wrote:Snap Skins I also got married in 1970 and I remember installing the phone in your old homestead in Kevin's Villas
in the 60's . Your younger brother Mick was only a toddler at the time.

That's right, Jabra. He's a 64-year-old toddler now, and a Grandad to boot.
Skins
skins
Executive Member

Postby stillorgan boy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:44 pm

I was just with my aunt in Dun Laoghaire, I showed her the photo of the group in Downeys. She brought it into Sadie next door, as it turns out the man in the centre of the group is her Dad. They also informed me that the man to the right of group of the three men is a man named Eddie Moloney from Rosary Gardens.
You're never fully dressed without a smile !
stillorgan boy

Postby Strum » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Micheál wrote:In my local, the owners often drink with some customers.
I hated to see this but I still find it hard to articulate exactly why.

M.

It's an old tradition I guess Micheal, it is in England anyway. You can drink with a customer in most pubs over there if you are offered, "have one yerself like" literally, it's even encouraged instead of taking cash as a tip, simply respect.
Some customers insist you have a beer with them and eh who's going to argue with that? I worked many Bars around many different areas in London and Liverpool and it was the same thing. You accept a half beer ONLY and leave it in front of your customer, and come back and have a swallow when you have a minute and a quick chat, joke, whatever then off down the bar to have a sip with another customer etc haha, keeps you merry like. :D
Some customers have their own Glasses, Toby Jugs, Pewter Tankards, Trophy Cups, mad things kept behind the Bar and they are sacred, they all have their own spot and have to be turned a certain way.
Another tradition is that the glass/tankard etc is never washed during the drink session, only at the end of the night are they washed an set back in place. Mortal sin if you rinse one during drinking session because they reckon the dregs of each drink adds to the flavour to the next and so on. Some of my experiences in bar customs over there.
Strum
Administrator

Previous

Return to FAMOUS AND INFAMOUS DUN LAOGHAIRE-ITES